E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Common n54 problems...stock vs mods

06-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Common n54 problems...stock vs mods

So I was just wondering how much of the common problems (hpfp and wastegate rattle/turbo failure) are due to modding the cars. I know that tuning a car DOES put additional stress on the motor and turbos, and most people on here do tune their cars.

I ask this because I am considering the cobb ap tune. I want me car to last well past 100k miles, and obviously I would like to avoid as many problems as I can. Do these tunes cause these problems to happy, or are they going to happen/not happen regardless?

I think an awesome thread would be tuned vs untuned with a comparison of problems....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

There is no known correlation between mods and lack of reliability with this car. Follow maintenance schedule, with tighter intervals for oil changes and spark plugs and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I'd just say that generally speaking, peripheral hardware will fail faster on a modded car, there is no one part that fails directly because of power modding. You're producing more heat and pushing most components harder, so that's the nature of things. But I really don't get the sense that N54s are having tons of issues specifically because of mods. My car hasn't changed in terms of drivability or reliability, though in my mind i'm really not asking that much of the hardware outside of pushing the stock turbos reasonably hard.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I'd just say that generally speaking, peripheral hardware will fail faster on a modded car, there is no one part that fails directly because of power modding. You're producing more heat and pushing most components harder, so that's the nature of things. But I really don't get the sense that N54s are having tons of issues specifically because of mods. My car hasn't changed in terms of drivability or reliability, though in my mind i'm really not asking that much of the hardware outside of pushing the stock turbos reasonably hard.
Agreed, and I'll add even the extra over boost on the turbos inlight of BMW running them way under max at stock, might even be a moot point for most of us in terms of period of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
I have yet to mod my N54, but have had the hpfp replaced. Other than a few bulbs burning out, I have had no other issues over my 4+ year ownership. Plan to officially start modding my vehicle next month. Starting with a Procede and Intake. Followed later with a FMIC, LSD, & E85 Flexfuel conversion.

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
There is no correlation between mods:failures. It is conjecture if someone says otherwise. Keep in mind the HPFP Class Action suit and extended warranty were brought about due to a mfg defect and the same could be said of the turbo/wastegate extended warranty. In addition everything in mechanical engineering is designed and spec'd in with a safety factory. EG when I was in applications for tooling we had to apply a minimum of 10x safety factor based on the overall expected life of the part which was based on loading factors.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

I think I will definitely be getting the cobb ap. Another question, and probably the most important. Lets say my wastegates go, will BMW have any clue that I have been using the cobb AP?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
I think I will definitely be getting the cobb ap. Another question, and probably the most important. Lets say my wastegates go, will BMW have any clue that I have been using the cobb AP?
If you don't uninstall it, yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

The only obvious weak point (engine-wise) when tuning your car is the stock charge pipe. There is a very good chance that the added boost will cause this flimsy plastic pipe to break at the throttle body connection.

This can be easily be remedied though with an ER chargepipe. As far as I'm aware, it's the only one that uses the OEM throttle body body c-clip connector which basically locks it on. All of the other aftermarket alternatives use silicon tubes and clamps which will slip off over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

More power more problems
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
The only obvious weak point (engine-wise) when tuning your car is the stock charge pipe. There is a very good chance that the added boost will cause this flimsy plastic pipe to break at the throttle body connection.

This can be easily be remedied though with an ER chargepipe. As far as I'm aware, it's the only one that uses the OEM throttle body body c-clip connector which basically locks it on. All of the other aftermarket alternatives use silicon tubes and clamps which will slip off over time.
The PCV valve is a pretty weak component as well. "Engine wise," the stock FMIC should be swapped out ASAP, even on cars with stock boost.

STETT"s charge pipe uses a silicone TB connector that has a small ridge, fitting into the TB grooves where the C-clip secures. It's a nice design as well and won't come off easily.
Appreciate 0