E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sharkedit (Shark Injector) tuner from Jim C. ($299 and details)

Closed Thread

05-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #23
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
ok, but all this is kinda useless without any dynos or power gains quotes....i mean, for all we know this could be worth 20hp...
I'm sure those will come in time...

This will prove which is a better method to tune in the ECU or via a piggyback. I wonder if other tuners will be jumping on this?

I know I will be early in line. No wires and digging into the ECU compartment for me.

Very exciting if it's real.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #24
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper1 View Post
"As of Progman v29.2 - BMW is updating MSD80 to attempt to limit the
torque output of a "piggybacked" car to 400 nm - please note I said "attempt"
to limit - because I don't want to get into arguments on the internet."

So does this Shark Edit have a way around this?

"OK - here is what you DONT know. Presence of these piggyback units on
MSD81 is going to set a "hidden" fault code. Neither the number of this
code nor the name of the code is important.

You can just call this code "Warranty Gone"

It says that you had (note, not HAVE, but HAD) a piggyback on your car
at some point."

So does this mean that MSD80 does NOT have this datalogging capability?

thats what i wanna know.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Very exciting indeed. If the rumors regarding V81 are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of prominant tuners jumping into the "profesional suite"
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
I'm sure those will come in time...

This will prove which is a better method to tune in the ECU or via a piggyback. I wonder if other tuners will be jumping on this?

I know I will be early in line. No wires and digging into the ECU compartment for me.

Very exciting if it's real.
Am I missing something here?...People are talking about dynos and which is better ECU flash vs Piggy and things like that. As I understand this,...this is NOT A TUNE. This is only selling you the CAPABILITY to tune yourself. There will be no gains without you tuning your own car with this software. This equates to having the procede unlocked for you so that you can meddle with the AFR, Timing, boost, whatever. But unless you know what you are doing you will get NO gain on a dyno just by having this shark edit. It lets you EDIT your ECU.

Thats' how I understand it,...am I mistaken?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #27
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
Am I missing something here?...People are talking about dynos and which is better ECU flash vs Piggy and things like that. As I understand this,...this is NOT A TUNE. This is only selling you the CAPABILITY to tune yourself. There will be no gains without you tuning your own car with this software. This equates to having the procede unlocked for you so that you can meddle with the AFR, Timing, boost, whatever. But unless you know what you are doing you will get NO gain on a dyno just by having this shark edit. It lets you EDIT your ECU.

Thats' how I understand it,...am I mistaken?
+1 Thats how I read it as well. The final price isn't $300, just the editor.

Looks like the guys with the new DME's are SOL.
      05-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
lacartus
Blah blah blah
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting, this sounds similar to what killed the Evo piggyback market: a relatively inexpensive way of letting owners and tuners program the ECU. In the case of the Evo it was ECUflash (www.openecu.org): download the free software, buy a tactrix cable, a logger and you're all set (wideband O2 sensor is handy too). I still have my old Evo piggyback, a paper weight for which I could find no buyer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #29
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
ok so orb, other than the base map will i have to make my own maps? cuz i have no fkn clue what im doing when it comes to Air/fuel ratios and all that, or will i be Able to buy other maps? Also...how the hell do you Flash your ECU?
Hang tight for more info from Jim...the potential has no bound now and what he said will change tuning as we know it is not far fetched. He going to release the shark injecter as well so that is another options.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #30
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Damn, so I need to think about if I should cancel my current Helix order.....
      05-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #31
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Conforti is providing both the tool to flash, his program(s) to flash with, and software so that you can modify programs. This means:

1) If you want it simple, just drive up to your local SharkInj garage hack and s/he will inject the program of your choice for a small fee. These backyard mechanics will pay Jim the $inquire + $1k/year royalty, and charge you a six-pack if your girlfriend is cute.
Presumably they can store your original OEM and reflash back when you need to return to earth. Hopefully Jim has a foolproof system set-up so they don't get mixed up.

2) If you want it in your own little hot hands, you buy the injector and a program from Jim. Cheap. Inject and de-inject yourself. You do not have to make your own program, but...

3) If you are the more adventuresome modder, you get #2 above, but also the software to custom design your own program. IMO if #2 above is the fatman, this #3 is the H-bomb. The boost maniacs on this list -- you know who you are -- that I suggested needed to be muzzled or drugged into normalcy that were attracting the attention and ire of BMW will now be free to fully explore the 2nd law of thermodynamics and play with their own arrows of time.

I don't know where this leaves the rest of the tuning field. You could emulate the V3 or Dinan III and sell pirated copies. [edit -- it looks like Jim has a pretty good control system built in, and I would bet he could nuke anyone not playing by the rules]

It's unclear to me how the SI gets around the MSD80 logging (FASTA). I guess you reflash back and they can't tell???
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

wow all that for $300 - $400 ?
      05-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #33
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
3) If you are the more adventuresome modder, you get #2 above, but also the software to custom design your own program. IMO if #2 above is the fatman, this #3 is the H-bomb. The boost maniacs on this list -- you know who you are -- that I suggested needed to be muzzled or drugged into normalcy that were attracting the attention and ire of BMW will now be free to fully explore the 2nd law of thermdynamics.
BRB getting tissues.

What's more, I imagine these programs will be "saveable" with the editor program. Meaning you can email it to your buddy who also has the Sharkedit program, and he can load it into his car. Now, it might not be 'simple' to write your own tune, but making minor modifications to the out of the box tune to make it work better with DPs, FMIC, race gas, etc should be easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
wow all that for $300 - $400 ?
Hence my original post of "Game, set, match."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #35
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Damn, so I need to think about if I should cancel my current Helix order.....
I would for sure. It will not take long untill we have a mass files of all type of maps but will see what Jim says.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #36
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I would for sure. It will not take long untill we have a mass files of all type of maps but will see what Jim says.

Orb
Agreed. Piggybacks=COMPLETELY obsolete as soon as this is released.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #37
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

sounds like a COBB tune for my STI.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #38
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Agreed. Piggybacks=COMPLETELY obsolete as soon as this is released.
Waiting to see BMW AG's response...

Jim is one hell of a fun guy!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #39
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Conforti is providing both the tool to flash, his program(s) to flash with, and software so that you can modify programs. This means:

1) If you want it simple, just drive up to your local SharkInj garage hack and s/he will inject the program of your choice for a small fee. These backyard mechanics will pay Jim the $1k/year royalty, and charge you a six-pack if your girlfriend is cute.
Presumably they can store your original OEM and reflash back when you need to return to earth. Hopefully Jim has a foolproof system set-up so they don't get mixed up.

2) If you want it in your own little hot hands, you buy the injector and a program from Jim. Cheap. Inject and de-inject yourself. You do not have to make your own program, but...

3) If you are the more adventuresome modder, you get #2 above, but also the software to custom design your own program. IMO if #2 above is the fatman, this #3 is the H-bomb. The boost maniacs on this list -- you know who you are -- that I suggested needed to be muzzled or drugged into normalcy that were attracting the attention and ire of BMW will now be free to fully explore the 2nd law of thermodynamics and their own arrows of time.

I don't know where this leaves the rest of the tuning field. You could emulate the V3 or Dinan III and sell pirated copies.

It's unclear to me how the SI gets around the MSD80 logging (FASTA). I guess you reflash back and they can't tell???
There is was no wavier for the flash...Dinan has zero control now and I'm sure they haven't thought about it yet. It all just a parameter so all you do is a compare and your done. Want a bit more boost on top no problem.

It is very scary for BMW when they get wind of this.

The Dinan map will be posted in no time based of dme version ect. It reminds me of warez.

I buying it for sure no question.

We are in for some great entrainment in coming week...good luck Doc

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #40
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Partial quote....It's unclear to me how the SI gets around the DMS80 logging (FASTA). I guess you reflash back and they can't tell???
I sure hope this is the case. In the last 2 weeks I sold my SSTT b/c I wanted to purchase the V3, and now this is looking the best bet. What a month!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #41
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Waiting to see BMW AG's response...
I don't think the ECU can get much more secure than it already is... Their response will be just like it is to Dinan:

The difference, with this you press a button, and it's as if nothing was ever there.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #42
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
hope to see some dyno number soon!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #43
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Every tuner can offer ECU flashes for the N54 now + custom tuning is no problem. What a great product. As mentioned already, I'm in. Thanks to Jim Conforti.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #44
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
There is was no wavier for the flash...Dinan has zero control now and I'm sure they haven't thought about it yet. It all just a parameter so all you do is a compare and your done. Want a bit more boost on top no problem.

It is very scary for BMW when they get wind of this.

The Dinan map will be posted in no time based of dme version ect. It reminds me of warez.

I buying it for sure no question.

We are in for some great entrainment in coming week...good luck Doc

Orb
Mark I'm sure you can help me set up the thing if I get it
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread