E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friend says he will never buy bmw because of my 328i

05-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Why would the starting price be 50k to get options? If brand "y" can add the option for $10 why cant BMW and vice versa?
Makes no sense that you think they would have to charge a ton more to include a few options.

If its a $10 part for Kia it should be a $10 part for BMW esp if its a part that comes from the same mfr in the background.
( nav units / headlight assy's / transmissions etc etc )

Either way in the end they can charge what they want they are BWM and just like the phone analogies to Apple.. These are luxury
brands that don't cater to the budget conscious person they cater to the higher end market so I get it just dont try to justify why they have to do it.

They do it cause they can! And rightfully so they built the brand but the consumers are getting shafted the softer BMW becomes and less and less of
what built that brand image is still included in a BMW.. ie cost cutting.
What do you mean the softer they become?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #90
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
What do you mean the softer they become?
Since the days of the E30, reviewers have been saying with each new model, BMW loses a bit of the "edge" they had that made them real driver's cars. Things have become more insulated and "softer" compared to the earlier BMW's.

That said, BMW's have never been cheap. Though it is off-putting on how so many features that are standard equipment on modern cars, are extras on BMWs. But again, they were never cheap cars to begin with, so you need to choose what is important to you, and what you are willing to pay.

Obviously, there are other aspects of the car (besides the option packages) that are appealing enough to make some people sacrifice them to save money. The bottom line is, if you don't think the car is a good value, don't buy it. But here you are, so obviously, there was *something* about the car you liked enough to overlook some of those options.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #91
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Why would the starting price be 50k to get options? If brand "y" can add the option for $10 why cant BMW and vice versa?
Makes no sense that you think they would have to charge a ton more to include a few options.

If its a $10 part for Kia it should be a $10 part for BMW esp if its a part that comes from the same mfr in the background.
( nav units / headlight assy's / transmissions etc etc )
BMW could probably charge less for these options, but the prices they choose are based on what will maximize their profits. So what if brand Y can give you a feature for $10? If BMW can sell just as many at $11 as they could at $10, then they would charge $11. If they sell fewer at $15 but the extra profit per unit makes up for it, then they'd charge $15.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #92
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Why would you not want nav sunroof and bluetooth
I don't want a built-in NAV because I tend to keep my cars for a while and the NAV will be outdated fairly quickly. I don't want bluetooth because I don't care about phone integration. I do like a sunroof, but some purists prefer not to have the extra weight so high up in the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #93
Fillyo75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
Ihear what your saying and I use the same Apple / Android comparo myself all the time. Im an iPhone guy so I get it..
Its like why does a TAG watch cost x amount more than a Fossil or Timex? Brand Cache BMW is a luxury brand and so is Apple and Tag.
You are funny, Apple is a luxury brand? 10 year olds and grandmas have iphones, anyone can afford them. High end Android phones are more capable than your iPhone. Please don't compare BMW to Apple, it's bad for BMW. Although there may be a comparison here, the competition has caught up or passed BMW in some ways. I love my BMW, but its the truth.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #94
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
First and foremost BMW in the US is a luxury brand -- so expect to pay a premium compared to other brands. The Japanese brands don't have the same cache and reputation that BMW & Mercedes have so they have to undercut them on price and features. I don't understand why it's still such a surprise to people that BMW's are more expensive than comparable Lexus's. Yes, Lexus has come a long way since its inception but to many, it's not on the same level and that will dictate market prices.

There are buyers that aren't willing to pay BMW prices so they go with something more affordable. Nothing wrong with that. For me, I'm willing to pay the BMW premium for driving dynamics and sheer thrill. All the added features are just a bonus and wouldn't have changed my buying decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #95
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Why would BMW give you more for less when they can give you LESS for MORE?

I'm sure you guys have seen the articles indicating BMW having record sales month after month recently
      05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #96
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Since the days of the E30, reviewers have been saying with each new model, BMW loses a bit of the "edge" they had that made them real driver's cars. Things have become more insulated and "softer" compared to the earlier BMW's.

That said, BMW's have never been cheap. Though it is off-putting on how so many features that are standard equipment on modern cars, are extras on BMWs. But again, they were never cheap cars to begin with, so you need to choose what is important to you, and what you are willing to pay.

Obviously, there are other aspects of the car (besides the option packages) that are appealing enough to make some people sacrifice them to save money. The bottom line is, if you don't think the car is a good value, don't buy it. But here you are, so obviously, there was *something* about the car you liked enough to overlook some of those options.
You are correct and I agree, I do love my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
BMW could probably charge less for these options, but the prices they choose are based on what will maximize their profits. So what if brand Y can give you a feature for $10? If BMW can sell just as many at $11 as they could at $10, then they would charge $11. If they sell fewer at $15 but the extra profit per unit makes up for it, then they'd charge $15.
this is true as well..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #97
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Yes the 5 series comes fairly loaded, navi is standard. I was looking at the F30s when I was at the dealership getting my battery cable replaced and I must say a stock F30 328 is not worth the money. The damn thing doesn't even have HIDs, which is pretty much standard these days.
Nav not standard in the 5 series, its looks like it because of the screen, but its either in the technology package or a standalone option.

Reading through this thread, I feel two things, BMW charges more for two reasons, one because the can, and two because they are the only privately held large car company left. While the parts may cost the same as say what KIA pays the R&D budgets most likely do not and they do not have the economy of scale to spread it around like say a Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti does.

That being said certain things in this day and age should just be standard.

A base 328 should have HID standard, just about every car on the market has them now its not new tech anymore, bluetooth and auto dimming home link should be as well already.

I can see not having Nav standard, many cars don't, but some of the little things should just be there its 2013 already.
      05-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #98
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Aren't most of the parts on BMWs of European origin? If they are, then the parts cost is not the same as Kia or other Asian manufacturers. Labor and materials cost more in Europe. For that matter, the factory workers make more than in Korea also.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #99
jheath
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 28d

OP is a whiner. If you like Kias so much, go buy one. Enjoy. Stop whining or caring about what your buddies think.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #100
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath View Post
OP is a whiner. If you like Kias so much, go buy one. Enjoy. Stop whining or caring about what your buddies think.
Wish I would have got a tsx
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #101
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Unless your willing to DIY I cant personally recommend buying bmw either thats just me though.
      05-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #102
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Unless your willing to DIY I cant personally recommend buying bmw either thats just me though.
I pretty much do everything besides oil changes because a place in town only charges 85..

Labor is killer on these cars 10o dollars an hour
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #103
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
I pretty much do everything besides oil changes because a place in town only charges 85..

Labor is killer on these cars 10o dollars an hour
Sh!t, 100$ would be cheap. 145$ an hour here.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #104
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Just buy what you like , get the options you want, YOLO bit**es.
      05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #105
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Sh!t, 100$ would be cheap. 145$ an hour here.
Yeah for dealer its like 130
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #106
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
Yea, buy used. My car had a $41k price tag in 2009. I got it for half after 4 years, and it was still in great condition. I'm a huge fan of sunroofs, and every car I've owned had a sunroof. Unfortunately with most cars today you have to order a package to get the sunroof. I hate option packages.
sucks for you USA guys... that's ONE good thing about over here.. we either get a massive list of stuff standard (msport pack for the 135i and 130i. and i think 335i.. sunroof.. leather etc. etc. all standard)... or it's individual tickbox's.. sometimes there's packages but they're small well priced (cheaper than individually) and logically desirable..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #107
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
Aren't most of the parts on BMWs of European origin? If they are, then the parts cost is not the same as Kia or other Asian manufacturers. Labor and materials cost more in Europe. For that matter, the factory workers make more than in Korea also.
control arms for 1er/3er are american (TRW).. bilstein stuff is obviously german

AC compressors are japanese.. direct injection pump/injectors are delphi (american)... spark plugs are japanese i believe (bosch).. brakes (brembo) are italian.

so no, LOTS of fairly expensive parts aren't european, and even if they were, just because they're OWNED In a first world country, doesn't mean they're not made in a 3rd world country
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #108
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Nav not standard in the 5 series, its looks like it because of the screen, but its either in the technology package or a standalone option.

Reading through this thread, I feel two things, BMW charges more for two reasons, one because the can, and two because they are the only privately held large car company left. While the parts may cost the same as say what KIA pays the R&D budgets most likely do not and they do not have the economy of scale to spread it around like say a Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti does.

That being said certain things in this day and age should just be standard.

A base 328 should have HID standard, just about every car on the market has them now its not new tech anymore, bluetooth and auto dimming home link should be as well already.

I can see not having Nav standard, many cars don't, but some of the little things should just be there its 2013 already.
i doubt more high end lexus would be sold than high end BMW though

and i agree, BMW's without projectors are disgusting, simply shouldn't exist... though they DO let you know the people who bought a BMW 'for the badge'

ugh... cloth seats, halogen lights, stock stock sock 116i. ewh.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #109
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
sucks for you USA guys... that's ONE good thing about over here.. we either get a massive list of stuff standard (msport pack for the 135i and 130i. and i think 335i.. sunroof.. leather etc. etc. all standard)... or it's individual tickbox's.. sometimes there's packages but they're small well priced (cheaper than individually) and logically desirable..
It's our consumer culture, really. American shoppers like "packages." Buying it as a package has the implication that you're getting a good deal, a good value...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #110
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
i doubt more high end lexus would be sold than high end BMW though

and i agree, BMW's without projectors are disgusting, simply shouldn't exist... though they DO let you know the people who bought a BMW 'for the badge'

ugh... cloth seats, halogen lights, stock stock sock 116i. ewh.
You are not understanding my comment. Lexus is not just Lexus, its Toyota as well, the development dollars are not just spread across just the Lexus group.

For example the CT is almost a Prius, so the volume is high in terms of sales.