E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Please help -- urgent issue w/ only car potential alternator/battery?

08-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
jnic290
Rep
Drives: Looking for a new one :)

Please help -- urgent issue w/ only car potential alternator/battery?

On the way home from work today, my 2006 330i had the battery light turn on, the SES indicator light up, the ac shut off, and an apparent failure of power steering at the same time (turning is quite the workout). The car is also showing very low RPMs during idle -- borderline stalling. This is my only vehicle and I need to be able to get to work tomorrow, but I'm somewhat concerned about my ability to do so. I don't have an OBDII reader, so I don't have any codes to show. I have an Advance Auto Parts and a chain mechanic shop in the parking lot of my work, so they can check it out tomorrow if I can get my car the 20 miles of combined back road and highway driving.

My initial idea is that there's an issue with the battery (obvious choice thanks to the light on the dash), but after reading through some forums I am concerned about the alternator.

Anyone have any insight on what the issue could potentially be and whether or not it would be safe to take it to work so I can have it looked into by someone? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Sounds like the serpentine belt has snapped for all those ancillaries to have stopped working simultaneously. Have you taken a look to see if this is not the case? If not, that's the first thing that I would check. Hopefully no damage to components around the engine bay.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
jnic290
Rep

So....there has been a squeaky belt and I just checked the depths of my engine bay with a flashlight and it definitely looks likes there's a snapped belt just laying crumbled a the bottom of the compartment. Thanks for the spot-on advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

To slow. Was gonna say belt.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
jnic290
Rep

Anyone know a reasonable price estimate for just replacing the belt?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Shouldn't cost too much. Probably an hour of labor and the belt will be maybe $50. However when the belt breaks, pieces of it can get pushed through the front crankshaft seal and into the engine causing major problems. That mainly happens on the 335i...I'm not sure if that's just because the belt is more likely to break on the 335i or if the design of the crank seal is only susceptible on the 335i. In any event, you'll want to thoroughly check the seal before you start the engine again.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnic290 View Post
So....there has been a squeaky belt and I just checked the depths of my engine bay with a flashlight and it definitely looks likes there's a snapped belt just laying crumbled a the bottom of the compartment. Thanks for the spot-on advice!
YW. Hopefully you can get her sorted out soon!! And I was going to say, might be a good time to consider the tensioner, but this is probably what killed the belt to begin with, so I would have that replaced too.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
jnic290
Rep

Update!

So the dealership said that the belt did obviously snap, but that part of it was sucked into the engine. They need to replace the cam seal, the belt, and the tensioner due to damage resulting from the breaking of the belt -- $1060 before tax. They also want to remove the valve cover to go in and check out the remaining parts of the engine to ensure that no pieces of anything got into anything in the valves. Problem is that they want to charge me $925 just to get in there and look. To me, it sounds a bit far-fetched that anything could have penetrated that far into the engine considering the situation. Can anyone weigh in on A) the likelihood that the belt snapping could result in fragments getting inside the valve area and B) the risk that would be posed if I payed the 1060 to get the car on the road without them checking under the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Sorry what?! How on earth are parts of the belt able to get into the engine?! Sounds like they are trying to trick (polite word) you into doing more than is necessary for a nice fat bill! Have them show you in detail what is damaged! Cam seal?

Granted, it is known that when these belts fail they can cause damage to components around the engine bay, but they need to be more specific, and so far this all sounds too vague and not very plausible to me. At the very least, it's a new serpentine belt and tensioner, but unless there was damage to the intake system or the valve cover itself, I cannot see how debris from the failing belt could have been "sucked in the engine".

Hope you are able to get some more detailed information from them - sounds like they are trying to rip you off to be honest.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Sorry what?! How on earth are parts of the belt able to get into the engine?! Sounds like they are trying to trick (polite word) you into doing more than is necessary for a nice fat bill! Have them show you in detail what is damaged! Cam seal?

Granted, it is known that when these belts fail they can cause damage to components around the engine bay, but they need to be more specific, and so far this all sounds too vague and not very plausible to me. At the very least, it's a new serpentine belt and tensioner, but unless there was damage to the intake system or the valve cover itself, I cannot see how debris from the failing belt could have been "sucked in the engine".

Hope you are able to get some more detailed information from them - sounds like they are trying to rip you off to be honest.
It happens: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992483
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799966
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Wow, that's crazy! So I gather it fails, gets tangled around the crank and then forced into the engine through the forward crank shaft seal? That's nasty!!

Appreciate 0