E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can i get the power back?

01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Can i get the power back?

Bmw is forcing my hand into getting the software update. No matter how much i scream and cry that here is nothing wrong with my car so leave it be. Anyways my service advisor is being awesome and trying to keep them from doing the update but its beyond him sadly.

So my question is, can i get the power back by doing a chip upgrade? If i get Something like a dinan chip flash or the hardwire chip override? My car is stock and i dont intend on doing any real mods, i just want the power i have been enjoying since i got the car.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I was just forced to get the update too. Definitely a drop off in low end torque, but the power delivery is smoother than before.
There's suppose to be a patch, but it seems to have mixed reviews in how well it actually works. It seems to be better than it is now, but not like it was before.
I may ask for it if I can find an SIB to show the dealer. They don't know much about these things.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Bmw is forcing my hand into getting the software update. No matter how much i scream and cry that here is nothing wrong with my car so leave it be. Anyways my service advisor is being awesome and trying to keep them from doing the update but its beyond him sadly.

So my question is, can i get the power back by doing a chip upgrade? If i get Something like a dinan chip flash or the hardwire chip override? My car is stock and i dont intend on doing any real mods, i just want the power i have been enjoying since i got the car.
First of all, how are they forcing your hand??? Secondly, I've had it done and there is ZERO change. You have obviously been reading too many posts and only believing the one s that you want to believe. Many people have posted that there is absolutely no change in performance. If for any weird reason your car was affected just take it back.....simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
First of all, how are they forcing your hand??? Secondly, I've had it done and there is ZERO change. You have obviously been reading too many posts and only believing the one s that you want to believe. Many people have posted that there is absolutely no change in performance. If for any weird reason your car was affected just take it back.....simple.
They are forcing my hand in that if i want the new brakes my car needs, they will do the software update.

You are the first person i have read who has said there is no difference with the software update.

And in 58,000 miles i have never had a single issue with the hpfp on my car but they are replacing it anyways. Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean if it breaks, sure ill have them fix it and i know im probably a minority but i find it odd that i can save them money and yet they are requireing me to do these updates anyways.

But regardless of these issues, but real question is will something like dinan or jb3 override these software updates that Bmw is doing on our cars?

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
I hope I dont get the update tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They are forcing my hand in that if i want the new brakes my car needs, they will do the software update.

You are the first person i have read who has said there is no difference with the software update.

And in 58,000 miles i have never had a single issue with the hpfp on my car but they are replacing it anyways. Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean if it breaks, sure ill have them fix it and i know im probably a minority but i find it odd that i can save them money and yet they are requireing me to do these updates anyways.

But regardless of these issues, but real question is will something like dinan or jb3 override these software updates that Bmw is doing on our cars?
Read. post titled "Brought my car in for service-Recall". The HPFP situation has been deemed a safety issue so the MUST replace it. They are doing all of them. Why not do it now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere ina snow storm? Dinan etc will do what Dinan says it will do. Software update will not change anything. If it does, take it back. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Read. post titled "Brought my car in for service-Recall". The HPFP situation has been deemed a safety issue so the MUST replace it. They are doing all of them. Why not do it now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere ina snow storm? Dinan etc will do what Dinan says it will do. Software update will not change anything. If it does, take it back. Simple.
I sae that and was reading it as I posted this thread. I actually just got my car back and the SA said they deemed my car not worthy of any updates seeing how the track record has been spotless. So no software, no new HPFP and the injectors are the same.

So back to my original question which seems to have been lost: will a chip override any downgrade in power due to a BMW ecu update. My thought is yes, but I wanted to confirm. =)

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I didn't notice any power loss either. In fact, I thought I felt a bit more power after the update. I wouldn't worry about it so much. Go get it done and if you feel a loss of power then start looking into remedies. I think the power loss is in everyone's heads...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Of course you'll get the power back with a flash...and some.

(?)
      01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Quote:
I sae that and was reading it as I posted this thread. I actually just got my car back and the SA said they deemed my car not worthy of any updates seeing how the track record has been spotless. So no software, no new HPFP and the injectors are the same.

So back to my original question which seems to have been lost: will a chip override any downgrade in power due to a BMW ecu update. My thought is yes, but I wanted to confirm. =)
An ECU tune is not designed to 'override' anything per say. It's used to recalibrate and 'tune' an engine to different specifications. The ECU tune will boost your psi and remap fuel paths to adjust accordingly. You WILL get quite a bit of power from an ECU tune and won't even remember this whole 'updated ecu/power loss' drama. Just be forewarned that doing these types of ECU tunes can and will subject your car to stress not originally analyzed by BMW engineers, therefore problems can occur (blown turbos, etc). These problems are subjectable and debatable yes, but I've seen first hand what an ECU tune can do to a turbo. Either way I would still get another one as the gains far outweigh the risks. Good luck with whatever you do!

Check out http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html
Their JB2 is a nice little plug and play option that gets just a little bit more performance out of your car without going overboard, and for $99 you can't beat it!
      01-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
There's no power loss. Just do it, if you feel power loss, then you're imagining it. Same thing goes for people saying that got increased power from the update, its in your head.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
I've had it done and there is absolutely no difference, none perceptible at least.

Just get it done, stop wanking over internet posts. jeez.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Why fix something that isn't broken?
it's broken. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when

Now I did notice a difference, however it was in the way the car acted in the cold.

Related: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472303
      01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Your question has not been lost......there is no power loss so ....? Dinan will increase hp and torque to about 375 each I believe. This is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
This is ridiculous.
Alright I get it. Internet: 1 Me: 0

So hows all that snow up in Canada?

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Alright I get it. Internet: 1 Me: 0

So hows all that snow up in Canada?
Don't have much. Cold & sunny today. Wish I got my car from Budds BMW....they are a Dinan dealer and I would have jumped all over it.
Appreciate 0