E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > WILD STFT's and wacky stuttering at deceleration

08-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

WILD STFT's and wacky stuttering at deceleration

So I'm having this really odd problem with my 335i.

It's been happening for quite a while but basically I'm having some weird stuttering and jumpiness when I left off the gas at or around 90mph. It only happens at around this speed and will also happen if I'm trying to cruise in this rpm range with the gas pedal.

It's as if my car is jumping back and forth really slightly or something. Engine rpms cut down about 50-100 and jump back up quickly and thus feels like stuttering.

I recently tuned to MHD 2+ but this WAS happening prior so it's not related to the tune.

https://datazap.me/u/japple7/stutter...&data=3-20

(This includes two logs)

I ran a few logs that you guys can take a look at but what to look out for:

1. Accel pedal position- when it goes up that's when I'm trying to get to around 90 mph and then I let off or ease up to try and get this effect to happen.

2. STFT's - they appear to jump super high then super low while this is happening

3. AFR's - also super high when this is happening

Overall, my car just feels unstable when I'm cruising at these speeds or decelerating around this speed

My guess is o2 sensors but feel free to give your input

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
I think you might be correct with the O2's. If its not that then it may be the injectors.
Everything else looks good.

O2's are pretty cheap so I would start with them.

When I first read this I was like "where could someone do 90mph" then I see you live near US23 and it all makes sense now
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
I think you might be correct with the O2's. If its not that then it may be the injectors.
Everything else looks good.

O2's are pretty cheap so I would start with them.

When I first read this I was like "where could someone do 90mph" then I see you live near US23 and it all makes sense now
Will do, thanks for the reply I appreciate it

And hahah yes and I-96

Too bad the roads here are awful so it's not even enjoyable 😒
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
No problem, post the results after changing the O2's.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshApple View Post

It's been happening for quite a while but basically I'm having some weird stuttering and jumpiness when I left off the gas at or around 90mph. It only happens at around this speed and will also happen if I'm trying to cruise in this rpm range with the gas pedal.

It's as if my car is jumping back and forth really slightly or something. Engine rpms cut down about 50-100 and jump back up quickly and thus feels like stuttering.

I recently tuned to MHD 2+ but this WAS happening prior so it's not related to the tune.

(This includes two logs)

1. Accel pedal position- when it goes up that's when I'm trying to get to around 90 mph and then I let off or ease up to try and get this effect to happen.

2. STFT's - they appear to jump super high then super low while this is happening

Overall, my car just feels unstable when I'm cruising at these speeds or decelerating around this speed

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
You are using ISTA or INPA?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
Inpa and MHD code reader, never gives me any codes it just happens
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
AFR's should read around 14.7 and shouldn't jump a whole lot. STFT's should read around 0 but shouldn't really be over over +/- 8%.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
AFR's should read around 14.7 and shouldn't jump a whole lot. STFT's should read around 0 but shouldn't really be over over +/- 8%.
Lolol check out those logs and see it's not that
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(This includes two logs)

Thanks in advance
What are your codes?
None
Lolol check out those logs and see it's not that
I'd start by replacing all 4 O2 sensors w/ Bosch. Get them at FCP for the lifetime warranty. It's gonna run you $400.00…. 🤬 reset the adaptations after install for the lambda's.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the plugs. (Look at your plugs & see if they are burnt or black)

If not, it's your injectors most likely.

I'm surprised you are not getting any codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #12
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm not surprised in the slightest that this isn't throwing codes. Looks like almost every other case of oscillating AFRs/trims, and they almost never get any codes. I'm on mobile so it's pretty hard to look at but appears to me, the surging happens when you're at a high manifold vacuum (close to -10psi or so), which is the case for myself and others i've seen. Though mine seems to only happen with very low throttle applied, does nothing if you completely let off or get on the throttle a little more.

I agree with all the suggestions here, hopefully they work for you. So far, they have not for me. I have all new plugs, coils, injectors, vacuum lines, all 4 O2s, cleaned vanos solenoids, new boost solenoids, and walnut blast. The only things I have left that seem to solve this issue are the MAP on the manifold, the vanos solenoids (though I never get vanos codes so doubt they're the issue), and the throttle body itself. Unfortunately with no codes, and not wanting to just throw hundreds and hundreds of dollars at it, it's hard to figure out what to do.

Within the last month i've started getting puffs of smoke when coming to a stop (only sometimes too). I currently have a set of RBs on order. I've begun to wonder if in my case, small amounts of oil are making it through the turbo seals at high vacuum and are throwing off the AFRs, causing trims to go haywire. Car cruises completely fine at any manifold vacuum greater than approximately-10psi, pulls perfectly and all WOT logs look great. I actually have several logs of the surging if you'd like to compare. This issue has been a real pain in my ass for awhile.
      08-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I'm fighting the same thing and have replaced almost the same things as Dave above me.

New:

front & rear o2's
Eldor coils
NGK spark plugs gapped at .018
new OEM vanos solenoids
index 12 injectors from a few years ago
hpfp is fine

Reset adaptations made it drive wonderful for about 500 miles then came back. Very frustrated.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      08-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I'm fighting the same thing and have replaced almost the same things as Dave above me.

New:

front & rear o2's
Eldor coils
new OEM vanos solenoids
hpfp is fine

Reset adaptations made it drive wonderful for about 500 miles then came back. Very frustrated.
After reading another on going thread, i'm leaning towards the throttle body. OP on that post stated he did a walnut blast and replaced his TB and it stopped, also said his old TB had a rattle if you shook it. Well, had mine off about a week ago to do a walnut blast and sure enough I noticed a rattle when I moved the TB.

N54 surging around 3000rpm constant throttle input https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847644
      08-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
After reading another on going thread, i'm leaning towards the throttle body. OP on that post stated he did a walnut blast and replaced his TB and it stopped, also said his old TB had a rattle if you shook it. Well, had mine off about a week ago to do a walnut blast and sure enough I noticed a rattle when I moved the TB.

N54 surging around 3000rpm constant throttle input https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847644
This is fantastic news, I'll try that on mine too. Adam LZ on youtube said he was chasing some funky issues that a shop ended up diagnosing (correctly) as his throttle body, but he never said what the symptoms were. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      08-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #16
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

New:

front & rear o2's
Eldor coils
new OEM vanos solenoids
hpfp is fine

Why .018 gap?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #17
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

New:

front & rear o2's
Eldor coils
new OEM vanos solenoids
hpfp is fine

I replaced my Throttle Body back in May. It had 179,000 miles on it. I got lots of codes for it when it went and the car went into limb mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #18
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

New:

front & rear o2's
Eldor coils
new OEM vanos solenoids
hpfp is fine

I replaced my Throttle Body back in May. It had 179,000 miles on it. I got lots of codes for it when it went and the car went into limb mode.
I don't doubt totally throttle failure would throw a shitload of codes, but there are certainly several failure modes for almost every part. Hell, when my LPFP sensor was bad, nobody could figure it out because it didn't fail in either of the typical manners that it does (being pegged at 0psi or 72, it just read like 20psi low all the time, so I replaced the LPFP and FPR first)

I have spoken with several individuals who all never got throttle codes, and had the surging at low throttle input solved by replacing the throttle body. I've even read of individuals who had it slowly fail for an entire year until it finally threw a code for the throttle.