E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm

12-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #265
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaike View Post
This is a partial write-up, since I still have to get to the dealer to have the alarm activated. I ordered the unit from Tischer for $130 shipped, no tax - there is no ultrasonic unit for the E93, thus the cheaper price.

I installed it today with no problems. I did not remove the tire, nor jack up the car, and I can't believe that some of you can get your hands up there. I'm a small Japanese guy, and I could barely do it. And when I did, it extended my install time to more than an hour.

Hood switch installation was no problem, as others have noted.

When I picked up the car from the dealer last week, I was quoted $600 for a non-OEM alarm installed, and $800 for the OEM alarm installed. After I have the dealer activate my install for $128, I will be out the door for about $260 - a savings of about $540!!

I'm assuming that the activation will go fine. Assuming it does, there is no reason for anyone to pay dealer prices for this alarm. The parts are cheap (even for the E90/E91/E92 parts), and the installation is a breeze. I had a harder time replacing my DRLs with GP Thunders.

I'll post again once the alarm has been activated, but thought I would let E93 owners know that they should definitely do this, if they are interested in it.

Getting mine activated this week here in jersey. BTW - I dont know how you got your hands up there without removing the tire nor jacking up the car. on the 335 cv w/sport you have about 1/2" between the top of the tire and wheel wheel. after I jacked up the car I removed the bolts holding the felt and just pulled it down enough to do what I had to do. I never removed the felt in its entirety.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #266
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
Getting mine activated this week here in jersey. BTW - I dont know how you got your hands up there without removing the tire nor jacking up the car. on the 335 cv w/sport you have about 1/2" between the top of the tire and wheel wheel. after I jacked up the car I removed the bolts holding the felt and just pulled it down enough to do what I had to do. I never removed the felt in its entirety.
I feel your pain, literally, since my forearms are still sore from Saturday. I don't have the Sport suspension, so the clearance must be a little more. I also did not remove the felt entirely, primarily because there was at least one bolt I could never reach. But I was able to remove enough to fold it out of the way so that I was working between the tire and the wheel well. In addition, I am fortunate to have a decent set of tools, including extensions and long nut drivers, to help make the reach possible.

In hindsight, I would have jacked the car up to gain more clearance, but the wife was out with our only jack in her car, since the BMW doesn't come with one, and we don't keep one at home.
      12-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #267
ntgxtreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Audi A3 2.0T, '08 E90 335i

Angry Frustrated and frugal

I'm incredibly frustrated by the activation costs from dealerships. Two calls to local dealers including the one I purchased from resulted in quotes for $150 and $175. Even my licensed BMW mechanic quoted me $125. Maybe I'm cheap, but an activation that takes 15-30 minutes shouldn't be charged for a full hour.

I'm located in Northern California, are there any recommendations as to a dealership with a specific service advisor to speak to that will see reason? Thanks!

Last edited by ntgxtreme; 12-18-2007 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #268
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

There is nothing to activate in the alarm. It starts functioning as soon as the parts are connected. What you are talking about is enabling the lock/unlock audio confirmation (a.k.a. chirp).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #269
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Maybe the 2008's are pre-programed?
The pre-2008's need to be activated in order to get the beep when you arm/disarm the alarm.

I'm going to see if they'll include it if I buy an oil change.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:29 AM   #270
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgxtreme View Post
I'm incredibly frustrated by the activation costs from dealerships. Two calls to local dealers including the one I purchased from resulted in quotes for $150 and $175. Even my licensed BMW mechanic quoted me $125. Maybe I'm cheap, but an activation that takes 15-30 minutes shouldn't be charged for a full hour.

I'm located in Northern California, are there any recommendations as to a dealership with a specific service advisor to speak to that will see reason? Thanks!
That's a crap price... those guys just dont' want to deal w/ it.
when i went in, i was going to do the install like everyone else, then just get it programmed. The difference in price was as follows:
(1) if i installed, and just got it programmed: $135
(2) full install and program: $175

Needless to say, i just got it installed and programmed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #271
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
There is nothing to activate in the alarm. It starts functioning as soon as the parts are connected. What you are talking about is enabling the lock/unlock audio confirmation (a.k.a. chirp).
Yep... perhaps it's the year issue...
A lot of members here don't get the CHIRP CHIRP when you lock. The only thing that's just about preprogrammed is the hood release pin, and the clown-nose blinker blinks immediately after you install the alarm.
i'm not even sure if the ultra-sonic module (motion sensor) is activated if you install it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #272
ntgxtreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Audi A3 2.0T, '08 E90 335i

Well, when I mentioned activation, I'm talking about the audible feedback, the ability to change settings in iDrive, and any other possibly missing functionality that is turned on by the software update from the dealer.

The blinking light is nice, and so is the alarm functioning, but I'd really like to get the rest of what I paid for

Ideally I'd love to pay the $40-60 rate that others have reported from their respective dealerships, but at this point, less than $100 would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #273
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Well, when I mentioned activation, I'm talking about the audible feedback, the ability to change settings in iDrive, and any other possibly missing functionality that is turned on by the software update from the dealer.

The blinking light is nice, and so is the alarm functioning, but I'd really like to get the rest of what I paid for

Ideally I'd love to pay the $40-60 rate that others have reported from their respective dealerships, but at this point, less than $100 would be great!
No you are not cheap, just frugal like me. Something is just plain wrong about having to fork over >$100 for activation of an alarm. I can't do it. I was quoted as follow by 4 different dealers $121, $109, $220, and then $106. None of which is to my liking.
      12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #274
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the charges shouldnt be more than 1 hr tech time is what IM told and the SIB says. you are using their computer and tying it up, so that justifies the 1hr charge. I hear that the programming sometimes fails and they have to take more actions.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #275
Rhooki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2008 Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Maybe the 2008's are pre-programed?....
I installed the alarm myself on my 2008 328 and it is not pre-programmed. I did forked out $100 for the dealer programming/activation for 1.5 hrs labor charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
i'm not even sure if the ultra-sonic module (motion sensor) is activated if you install it yourself.
The ultra-sonic module/motion sensor does work right after I installed mine.

It would have been great if these "stealers"(dealers) offer the activation for around $50. How hard can plugging the computer, putting the disk and pushing some buttons be? then, get coffee or smoke while waiting for 15 to 30 mins for the re-programming to finish!

I would recommend having it fully activated. I had the alarm installed for about 2 weeks before it got activated and the audible confirmation (chirp chirp!) really finished the whole install. A 100 bucks chirp chirp does sounds a bit pricey.

:

Vrooooooooom! Vrooooooom!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #276
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The blinking light is great... but u really love the sound of the chirp when you hear it. it sounds fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
No you are not cheap, just frugal like me. Something is just plain wrong about having to fork over >$100 for activation of an alarm. I can't do it. I was quoted as follow by 4 different dealers $121, $109, $220, and then $106. None of which is to my liking.
$220 for the damn program?! If i went to that dealer, i would've shat ON the toilet seat...perhaps even on the service guy's desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
the charges shouldnt be more than 1 hr tech time is what IM told and the SIB says. you are using their computer and tying it up, so that justifies the 1hr charge. I hear that the programming sometimes fails and they have to take more actions.
That's crap... failing my ass. I bet the spill something, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhooki View Post
I installed the alarm myself on my 2008 328 and it is not pre-programmed. I did forked out $100 for the dealer programming/activation for 1.5 hrs labor charge.

The ultra-sonic module/motion sensor does work right after I installed mine.

It would have been great if these "stealers"(dealers) offer the activation for around $50. How hard can plugging the computer, putting the disk and pushing some buttons be? then, get coffee or smoke while waiting for 15 to 30 mins for the re-programming to finish!

I would recommend having it fully activated. I had the alarm installed for about 2 weeks before it got activated and the audible confirmation (chirp chirp!) really finished the whole install. A 100 bucks chirp chirp does sounds a bit pricey.

:
Basically, you're paying for their time and lost business or whatever. The busier the service dept., the more they'll charge (usually). However, if the service center is too quiet, they'll rip you off as well. It's good to go to a service center that has moderate traffic.

Also, i guarantee that if someone PAID you $125 right now... $25 more than what you have paid, you STILL would NOT get rid of that chirping noise... am i right?! Hell, i love that chirp~ one of my favorite mods of all time. Also, when i'm in a crap neighborhood w/ hoodrats, it'll show them not to fuck around with it (unless it does the exact opposite and attracts more attention... in which case i'll have to go buck nasty on em)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #277
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

How does the alarm activate? By pushing the lock/unlock button on the keyfob (assuming you have no CA)?
      12-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #278
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
How does the alarm activate? By pushing the lock/unlock button on the keyfob (assuming you have no CA)?
yessir.
i'm assuming that people w/ CA, when the car engages to lock on its own, it'll activate it... that's the most likely scenario. Otherwise, you really have NO reason to have CA if you have an alarm...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #279
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Funny how people keep talking about "alarm activation" after reading (hopefully?) all the stuff that has been posted in this and similar threads.

The alarm does not need to be activated after installation, period! It starts working right away, including the tilt and motion sensors. Only the chirp on lock/unlock needs to be enabled which BMW dealers will happily do for you for ~$100+.

That said, I would actually pay the dealer to disable the chirp if it were present by default.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #280
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
That said, I would actually pay the dealer to disable the chirp if it were present by default.
Did you know that the chirp be turned on/off thru the OBC menu when you have the alarm installed and activated?

It's just default to off and selection locked out if you did not get the alarm...

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #281
dkkim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Best way to activate the alarm in cheap is doing with Progman Update.
In that case, activation is a tiny sub-work to them.
That worked on me!($45)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #282
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well they are having trouble programming my alarm. my vehicle isnt accepting the program. vehicle is an 08 335 convertible. before I went to the dealer the alarm light was blinking so it notices all the parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #283
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Funny how people keep talking about "alarm activation" after reading (hopefully?) all the stuff that has been posted in this and similar threads.

The alarm does not need to be activated after installation, period! It starts working right away, including the tilt and motion sensors. Only the chirp on lock/unlock needs to be enabled which BMW dealers will happily do for you for ~$100+.

pls don't spread rumors like that. I have an 05 built 330i e90 (not 335 like yours) and after installing the alarm, I noticed the light blinks, only motion work, and trunk works. everything else does not work. how do I know, I tested it. Yes this has been beat to death but ppl need to realized these cars do not have the same equiped options.

Here is how I test my alarm. I see the light blink (easy test), I rolled down the window arm the car stick my hand inside the cabin and alarm goes off (motion test), I arm my car use the key to open the trunk alarm goes off (trunk is triggered), I pop the hood press down on the hood switch arm the car let go of the hood switch no alarm (so hood switch does not work), no chirp either when arm or disarm, I arm the car I push the car back and forth (side to side) until I am blue in the face alarm does not go off (tilt sensor not activated).

Now how difficult was that for everyone to test for themself and see what works and does not work for their car
      12-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #284
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
pls don't spread rumors like that. I have an 05 built 330i e90 (not 335 like yours) and after installing the alarm, I noticed the light blinks, only motion work, and trunk works. everything else does not work. how do I know, I tested it. Yes this has been beat to death but ppl need to realized these cars do not have the same equiped options.

Here is how I test my alarm. I see the light blink (easy test), I rolled down the window arm the car stick my hand inside the cabin and alarm goes off (motion test), I arm my car use the key to open the trunk alarm goes off (trunk is triggered), I pop the hood press down on the hood switch arm the car let go of the hood switch no alarm (so hood switch does not work), no chirp either when arm or disarm, I arm the car I push the car back and forth (side to side) until I am blue in the face alarm does not go off (tilt sensor not activated).

Now how difficult was that for everyone to test for themself and see what works and does not work for their car
now... let's see, let's see... TX has 5000+ posts... VALIUM has 23 posts...
Through GENERAL CONCENSUS, I believe that VALIUM does not have the necessary credentials to invalidate the generally accepted OEM Alarm dispute. Hence, I affirm TX's request and grant him summary judgment.

On another note, TX, i also believe that the PANIC feature needs to be programmed in as well... and it's through holding down the trunk release button? Not sure about it, but i remember reading it.

And finally, TX, the guy that i think i confused you with, regarding the AW 330i pictures from a while ago, is actually LEDZEP.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #285
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I did not realize that there was a "tilt" sensor (i.e. motion sensor). The "ultrasonic" sensor is a "movement" detecting sensor, so am I to understand that there's a "motion" sensor also (which detects something like the car being jacked up)?

I was under the impression that the alarm only included the ultrasonic sensor.
      12-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #286
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Hence, I affirm TX's request and grant him summary judgment.

On another note, TX, i also believe that the PANIC feature needs to be programmed in as well... and it's through holding down the trunk release button? Not sure about it, but i remember reading it.

And finally, TX, the guy that i think i confused you with, regarding the AW 330i pictures from a while ago, is actually LEDZEP.
Post counts does not really mean much. I just happen to follow this thread and just recently installed my alarm and started testing.
Oh, forgot about panic feature. Also, I read on here that there is an additional third party shock sensor you can buy which works with the e9x bmw alarm. here is the link:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45815. I think shock sensor has the same concept as tilt sensor right I think we only get the cabin interior motion sensor.

Wow, I did not know I was in the same league with the like of LEDZEP

Last edited by txusa03; 12-21-2007 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0