E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > - Dealer won't go lower than MSRP -

05-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
runpasthefence
Rep
Drives: 2007 Tahoe - 335i dreamin'

- Dealer won't go lower than MSRP -

For reference the dealer is Rick Hendrick BMW in Charleston, SC.

I went in today to drive the 135 out of curiosity and put down my $1000 deposit to order my E92 335i. The car is as follows

335i
Monaco
Saddle
Sport
Step
Comfort Access
Ipod

MSRP = 46,875 at 3.9%

I was surprised I wasn't able to get them to deal below MSRP. It seems a lot of people are being priced well below. However, I've noticed most of this on the left coast.

I'm going to start contacting other dealers on the east coast. Since I live in SC, I think I'll order from whoever can give me the best deal then schedule delivery at the Performance Center as it's very close.

I guess I'm just seeking advice. Should I further pursue anything at my local dealer.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Dude, you should be able to get less than MSRP. Go to a new dealership. I'm getting my car next week and its way below MSRP
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Tell them that you get a discount for being so close to the BMW delivery center
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpasthefence View Post
For reference the dealer is Rick Hendrick BMW in Charleston, SC.

I went in today to drive the 135 out of curiosity and put down my $1000 deposit to order my E92 335i. The car is as follows

335i
Monaco
Saddle
Sport
Step
Comfort Access
Ipod

MSRP = 46,875 at 3.9%

I was surprised I wasn't able to get them to deal below MSRP. It seems a lot of people are being priced well below. However, I've noticed most of this on the left coast.

I'm going to start contacting other dealers on the east coast. Since I live in SC, I think I'll order from whoever can give me the best deal then schedule delivery at the Performance Center as it's very close.

I guess I'm just seeking advice. Should I further pursue anything at my local dealer.

Thanks
Your grandma should be able to walk into any BMW dealer and get a discount on any 335i now. I can see where they won't discount the 135i yet......but I would defn run far far away from that dealer........
      05-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

I'd get pricing estimates from other dealers - even starting with ones in SC, but also going elsewhere - and see what you can get. Work toward an amount over invoice, not down from MSRP, and be very specific about whether or not those prices include BMW-mandated fees (like MACO, which is an advertising fee charged in some markets, and the training fee) and dealer fees (like processing/paperwork fees).

Then, if you really feel like dealing with the local guys, go back to them and tell them the amounts over invoice you are being offered, and see if you can get them to match.

You are in a tough market since there is no direct competition. Here in DC, I had five dealers trying to out-bid eachother. So get some other dealers into the picture to help yourself out.

And, hey man, get a convertible! You live in Charleston - if I was down there by the ocean, no way I wouldn't have a droptop. Great city, I'm hoping to swing down if I can do Performance Center Delivery.
      05-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

This is all part of the game. My Rule: Unless you know somebody, you CAN"T get the best deal possible without walking out of the dealer's showroom AT LEAST 3x. Be patient and prepared to walk out. Make them want you. Take a few weeks if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thats BS, be strong my son when negotiating! BTW I noticed monaco for the color, why not go montego!!!

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
runpasthefence
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
I'd get pricing estimates from other dealers - even starting with ones in SC, but also going elsewhere - and see what you can get. Work toward an amount over invoice, not down from MSRP, and be very specific about whether or not those prices include BMW-mandated fees (like MACO, which is an advertising fee charged in some markets, and the training fee) and dealer fees (like processing/paperwork fees).

Then, if you really feel like dealing with the local guys, go back to them and tell them the amounts over invoice you are being offered, and see if you can get them to match.

You are in a tough market since there is no direct competition. Here in DC, I had five dealers trying to out-bid eachother. So get some other dealers into the picture to help yourself out.

And, hey man, get a convertible! You live in Charleston - if I was down there by the ocean, no way I wouldn't have a droptop. Great city, I'm hoping to swing down if I can do Performance Center Delivery.

Great advice, this is pretty much what I had planned. I just need to get organized and go in with a solid plan. So far I've kind of put myself at their mercy. Unfortunately, this is the only BMW dealership in town, but I'll be getting quotes from local cities tomorrow.

I thought I'd at least be able to $1k over invoice, and maybe even the dealer invoice price with the help of their service manager who is a family friend. Neither has happened yet.

- If I could afford the E93 I'd probably go for an M-sedan. I test drove a vert initially when they didn't have any other coupes in stock. It really would be a sweet ride for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravediggingaditch View Post
This is all part of the game. My Rule: Unless you know somebody, you CAN"T get the best deal possible without walking out of the dealer's showroom AT LEAST 3x. Be patient and prepared to walk out. Make them want you. Take a few weeks if you can.
Well, we know the service manager at this place...thought he'd be able to help...guess not. I've been in twice in two weeks. So far, no price change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
Thats BS, be strong my son when negotiating! BTW I noticed monaco for the color, why not go montego!!!
You had to go and open that can of worms again didn't you...
I fell in love with Montego at first, but later decided it was too bright. I still haven't seen one in person. If I did it might change my mind. Monaco is nice and classy though, it'll be my 3rd car that I've had in some variant of a dark metallic blue.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

You had to go and open that can of worms again didn't you...
I fell in love with Montego at first, but later decided it was too bright. I still haven't seen one in person. If I did it might change my mind. Monaco is nice and classy though, it'll be my 3rd car that I've had in some variant of a dark metallic blue.

Thanks
My bad, you have to see it in person first before you choose

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Being so close to the PC, with the PCD option you can access any dealer in the whole country. So get out there, make some calls, ask around - go get your car at the best price you can get

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
godot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

To the OP: You could try going through your dealer's web page and requesting a quote (without providing your full name). In the comments box where you spec out your car, just mention that you're shopping around for the best price.

Usually these places have a separate internet sales manager, and he knows that internet customers are doing their homework. He knows that if he doesn't give you a good deal, you will walk. When you're physically at the dealer, they assume they have you "trapped" in a sense, so they're less likely to make concessions.

I know this isn't true in every case, but it could be worth a shot. (It worked for me. )
      05-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
10% off MSRP is usually my walk away point. If they can't get there, I don't do business with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Mini-M
Rep
Drives: 335i

That's more than I paid for a 335i 4-door, sport, premium, steptronic, nav, cold weather, ipod, paddles, HD radio, etc last weekend. I had to drive an hour, but the dealership is now offering 1k off INVOICE (+400 MACO so really 600 off invoice).

Last edited by Mini-M; 05-16-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
flash2k6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
My Rule: Unless you know somebody, you CAN"T get the best deal possible without walking out of the dealer's showroom AT LEAST 3x. Be patient and prepared to walk out. Make them want you. Take a few weeks if you can.
If you seriously have to go through that much effort, of actually walking out, you either aren't a very good negotiator, or you really like wasting time in your life.

I don't even go to the dealer anymore when I buy a new car. I call up a sales rep get his e-mail address then send an e-mail to him or the fleet manager, list the car, the options, the MSRP, the invoice price, and what I'm willing to pay.

If I have information from other dealers ahead of time (by reading what others have posted on the forums) I will even include that so they see it's a fair offer. It then becomes a yes or no. If it's a no, I won't bother with them anymore, period. There are no second chances, it's to the point or the car will be bought elseware, there are hundreds of dealers in this country and ALL of them can easily ship the car to you, or have it delivered at the PDC... so what makes each of them different? Service and Price, that's it.

If they fail at the service by poor response to you, that's 1 out of 2 marks against them... so they have to get price right or you move on.

I went through 21 dealers before I found the one I use now for BMW's... he knows how to talk to me, and he knows how I will make my requests, and it's right to the point. I don't even have to negotiate with him, I just tell him what I think is fair and he says ok. I give him a fair commission in return he gives me no BS, the car I want, how I want it, and it's a real joy to deal with him, and so far through multiple BMW purchases with him we've never had a problem and both of us are very happy working together because we respect each others knowledge of the product, the service, and the price. So far, I've gotten my price every single time, it's not as hard as you think.

If a dealer wants to play games by calling you back, again and again, like they're going to give you some late breaking news they didn't have before, they're just wasting your time. Know your facts ahead of time, know what the fair market price is, and what's reasonable to pay compared to what others are paying and present it... if they say no, walk, it's that simple.

If you want a good read, here is a thread I did just over a year ago for a brand new 335i Coupe which was in VERY high demand at the time... I still got the price I wanted, real close to invoice.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180505

-F
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
muisui
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi couple space grey

I ordered mine 335xi back in 3/15 for 1k over invoice.
sounds like you can get a better deal today. Also there is an AT credit. If you use AT, it is free, or they give you credit on your MT car...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
runpasthefence
Rep

Thanks for the great info.

I began contacting other dealers in the state and surrounding states. The best discount I could find was at a dealership in Greenville. They offered 4% and would probably go to 4.5 or 5% MSRP.

I started to send emails to dealers on the west coast, starting with those reviewed by flash2k6. One has responded with an offer of $850 over invoice. This is including $300 MACO, $180 Training fee, and the $630 base price increase.

I plan on asking in my next email, but why are dealers including the price increase in a car to be ordered before June 1 when the increase is supposed to take effect?

Anyway, things are looking up. I didn't realize how easy it would be to order out of state and take delivery at the Performance Center.
I'm going to keep plugging away on these emails, we'll see what comes up.

Thanks again

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:

I began contacting other dealers in the state and surrounding states. The best discount I could find was at a dealership in Greenville. They offered 4% and would probably go to 4.5 or 5% MSRP.

I started to send emails to dealers on the west coast, starting with those reviewed by flash2k6. One has responded with an offer of $850 over invoice. This is including $300 MACO, $180 Training fee, and the $630 base price increase.

I plan on asking in my next email, but why are dealers including the price increase in a car to be ordered before June 1 when the increase is supposed to take effect?

Anyway, things are looking up. I didn't realize how easy it would be to order out of state and take delivery at the Performance Center.

Thanks again

Mick
Well done. Hendrick BMW here in Charlotte operates much the same way. We live in areas that are relatively strong economically, and the Hendrick dealers are the only ones in town. They just don't negotiate much (if at all) on price, as they make plenty of sales from ill-informed folks who could care less about saving a couple K on a car purchase. With the PC hours away, you can always get a better deal from an out-of-area dealer that's more motivated to make sales.

Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
flash2k6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Any car ordered after May 9th, is now impacted by the new price changes.

-F
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:06 AM   #19
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
you can get at least $2000 off msrp on a 335i on the West Coast now. i've read some threads where some guys got as much as $3000 off.
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #20
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:

Thanks again

Mick

It's easy to shop out of state as long as the CA has had some experience doing a PCD..you might want to consider ED ( euro delivery ) as well since the savings is the greatest........
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
It's easy to shop out of state as long as the CA has had some experience doing a PCD..you might want to consider ED ( euro delivery ) as well since the savings is the greatest........
Agreed on the ED. If you are willing to wait, you will get the same car through ED for around 40k out the door. My MSRP was $49,500 and through European Delivery it will be about $42-43k out the door, tax etc... (plus my trip expenses if that even matters).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #22
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
Tell them that you get a discount for being so close to the BMW delivery center
thats gay lol they would be like you want us to loose money because you are lucky enough to live so close to the plant?? umm ok
Appreciate 0