E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Estreme oil consuption, Need a Buru on N54 "HELP"

06-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
turbs
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport

I cant see any logical way it can use more oil after intake cleaning or before for that matter. The intake is just a tract, there are no oil ways etc. It could possibly cause a build up of pressure, but serious doubt it. I would not bank on it ever being that.

Compression and leak down test is your answer mate. That will tell a whole world of things it could be. Why your Chasing these random issues instead of carrying out a standard, very cheap procedure I really don't know.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2007 3351 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
I have heard from two independent members that their oil consumption has been alleviated after cleaning the intake valves. Yes, it is possible that gunked up intake can lead to oil consumption, but don't ask me why..

I am in the same exact situation. My car has about 80k miles, and burning about 1qt of oil ever 300 miles (maybe even less than that). I will try to clean the intake and see where that goes.
Let me know the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbs View Post
I cant see any logical way it can use more oil after intake cleaning or before for that matter. The intake is just a tract, there are no oil ways etc. It could possibly cause a build up of pressure, but serious doubt it. I would not bank on it ever being that.

Compression and leak down test is your answer mate. That will tell a whole world of things it could be. Why your Chasing these random issues instead of carrying out a standard, very cheap procedure I really don't know.
I am taking the car back to the dealer under warranty, if they don't fix it, I am returning the car under lemon law. I will take the compression to see, but the car runs fine, no misfire, etc. How do you do a leak down test?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Op, u need to look more deep
1- remove engine acoustic cover and look for oil leak into spark plug area etc (remove coils to see)
2- get under the car, remove steering rack and then remove Downpipes - If there's oil in the turbos they're the culprit - the turbo's oil seals are worn and they're burning oil in exhaust
3- remove vent hose from top next to PCV and look inside to see if diaphram ok, it should have a slit, if its torn or completely through it could be dumping excessive oil to intake
I'll think of more these were the 3 places I experienced oil leaks in my car, ever since resolved oil doesnt need to refil for 2500 miles (before was every 1000)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Thanks, I am goint to mesure the compresion. The other day while at wot, I saw a puff of white smoke coming out ot the exhaust, it only happen ones, at least the only time I saw it. I am thinking bad valve seals with all the GUNK on it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #28
turbs
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport

If it puffs smoke its more than likely turbo seals. Dirty valves wont use that much oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #29
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
If it puffs smoke its more than likely turbo seals. Dirty valves wont use that much oil.
Turbos were replace few month ago, who knows
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:

Then I'm out of ideas. There's absolutely no leak anywhere.

Oil housing is dry.
Oil pan underneath is dry.
Pulled the downpipe, it's dry.
Installed Oil Catch Can, checked after 4000 miles. Bone dry.

Where the f*ck are my quarts after quarts of engine oil going............ I'm already using thicker 0w-40 castrol syntec. If not for this issue I would be keeping this car for as long as I could. But at this rate I might as well look for a gas station that has an engine oil pump right next to the gasoline pump. 1qt of oil every 300 miles, 2007 N54 with 80k miles, zero mods.

Someone help us please.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

Into the coolant?. Dont see HG issues on N54s but a shot in the dark...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #32
JunkStory
Major
Rep

Coolant quality is good. I just changed the water pump, therefore replaced and inspected the coolant there is no oil inside.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #33
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

[QUOTE=335coupepr;16098816]Turbos were replace few month ago, who knows[/QUOTErbos
Guess what,my new turbos are bad. Call this guy, they call him "BURU",over 20 years working in BMW and Porche, I explain to him about my oil consumption and all new parts, right away he said the turbo seal. I told him that the BMW Dealer replace them a few month ago. He says those turbos are Remanufactured and not good, he has send back many clients back to them to rechange the turbos. Last night a friend of mine fallow me, and my car is smoking like crazy at wot, I did not see that. This week It suck 1.5 quarter of oil after 200 miles. Since I checked the intercooler and there is no oil, the exhaust turbo seals are the ones blown. Now, I have to go to him, get a certification and take the car back to the BMW dealer and replace the turbos. I spent month looking for the problem, never look at the turbos because they were new. He also mention that the 335i barely or never will give you any problem with piston rings and valve seals, like many people mention in this post. The bad apple for this car are the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #34
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
Op, u need to look more deep
1- remove engine acoustic cover and look for oil leak into spark plug area etc (remove coils to see)
2- get under the car, remove steering rack and then remove Downpipes - If there's oil in the turbos they're the culprit - the turbo's oil seals are worn and they're burning oil in exhaust
3- remove vent hose from top next to PCV and look inside to see if diaphram ok, it should have a slit, if its torn or completely through it could be dumping excessive oil to intake
I'll think of more these were the 3 places I experienced oil leaks in my car, ever since resolved oil doesnt need to refil for 2500 miles (before was every 1000)
Turbo seals are the answer, even do the turbos were replace a few month ago, BMW dealer are replacing Remanufactured turbos. Everthing else is replace and check.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #35
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
YOU WRE RIGHT, SEALS ARE BAD EVEN DO THE TURBOS ARE NEW, BMW DEALER ARE REPLACING THE TURBOS WITH Remanufactured ONES.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Then I'm out of ideas. There's absolutely no leak anywhere.

Oil housing is dry.
Oil pan underneath is dry.
Pulled the downpipe, it's dry.
Installed Oil Catch Can, checked after 4000 miles. Bone dry.

Where the f*ck are my quarts after quarts of engine oil going............ I'm already using thicker 0w-40 castrol syntec. If not for this issue I would be keeping this car for as long as I could. But at this rate I might as well look for a gas station that has an engine oil pump right next to the gasoline s. 1qtsf oil every 300 miles, 2007 N54 with 80k miles, zero mods.

Someone help us please.
Have you have a friend fallow you to see if you car smoke at wot?, do it at night, better to see white smoke. Also, look at your tail pipes tips, are they full of carbon deposit. Second, take you intercooler out to see if you have any oil inside, could be your turbo cold side seals. The intercooler is super easy to take off. And like everyone else say, last, check the compression. I let you know about my results.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #37
JunkStory
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupepr View Post
Have you have a friend fallow you to see if you car smoke at wot?, do it at night, better to see white smoke. Also, look at your tail pipes tips, are they full of carbon deposit. Second, take you intercooler out to see if you have any oil inside, could be your turbo cold side seals. The intercooler is super easy to take off. And like everyone else say, last, check the compression. I let you know about my results.
Can I go WOT in neutral? The tail pipes are indeed walled with black carbon.

Keep us updated. To be honest I rather top up engine oil than replace the turbos which is a $4k+ job (no warranty)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #38
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Can I go WOT in neutral? The tail pipes are indeed walled with black carbon.

Keep us updated. To be honest I rather top up engine oil than replace the turbos which is a $4k+ job (no warranty)
I belived there is a recall for the turbos, go to a BMW dealer and complaint about the wastegates sound and they change the turbos for free. Mine is going back for second time, my frien also did that. Also, I know a person that sell old turbos, (both of them for $150). If you can not change it at the BMW shop, I gave you the persons e-mail (from ebay) and you could get a pair and get them fix (new seals, etc)at any turbo shop. Going wot in neutral is not the same, you have to ride the car and make some boost, have some one fallow you and tell you if you car smoke, also take down the intercooler, is easy and look for any oil inside.
Appreciate 0