E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > After Market Warranty

09-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: graphite 328i E92

After Market Warranty

My car is out of the range to get the warranty from BMW, I have a 2007 328i with 82k on it. Originally I had planned to trade the car in by now but I decided to go to grad school. After paying for it I want to build up my cash a bit more before I trade up. There is also the fact that after all of these years I still love the looks of my car. Plus if I trade up my wife is dropping hints my next car should be a sedan and automatic. I was talking to a BMW tech the other day and he said he wouldn’t want to own one without coverage. He mentioned to take a look at Fidelity. So I just want input from you guys here.

Thanks,

liquid
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: graphite 328i E92

guys anyone? i look into easy care and the car has to have under 80k. i called fidelity but was told i had to go thru a dealer like toyota?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

What is your question, whether or not to get a warranty, or which warranty to get? Personally if it's an aftermarket/non-CPO warranty, I would highly advise against it. Most truly are scams. I made the mistake of getting one through Continental with my car because I'd heard about the maintenance nightmare BMWs can be, and regretted it after I was told my VANOS solenoids needed to be replaced and they were not covered because they're a "BMW-specific technology". I called continental then and there and demanded a pro-rated refund.

Plenty of others will tell you horror stories about components not being covered, or erroneous claims of negligence on your end. And even when they are convered, the company usually doesn't pick up the whole tab. Obviously it's a preference thing and no one knows whether your car is a ticking timebomb or will be maintenance free for years, but in the long run I think paying for stuff as it happens is the best way to go. As a bonus, the fact that your car doesn't have turbos removes one of the most common and expensive points of failure anyway.

My advice is to skip the warranty, keep up with standard maintenance (if you can), and find a decent BMW/European-specific indy mechanic with decent rates and you'll win in the long run.
Appreciate 0