E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335i non-sport -- Looking for shocks/springs setup, but NOT stiffer than OEM sport

06-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
drew4392
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

335i non-sport -- Looking for shocks/springs setup, but NOT stiffer than OEM sport

Hoping you could suggest a setup that will improve handling/lower stance, but not stiffer than the OEM sport package.

I hear a lot about the BMW perf package, but it is advertised as being about ~30% stiffer than Sport springs. That is too much. I find the Sport springs pretty stiff, and at the limit of where I would like my daily driver to be.

I'd look to get the Sport springs/shocks, but wondering if there was an aftermarket setup that would offer same/softer feeling, but better performing than OEM Sport setup.

thanks!

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

you wont find less stiff than sports in aftermarket shocks. With that being said, there are ones a little more stiff, but not much. BMW performance is probably your best bet... otherwise do some eibachs or some sort of coilover. but those are expensive.

or jsut buy the sports springs and be done with it. otherwise just stick with your non sport...
      06-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
you wont find less stiff than sports in aftermarket shocks. With that being said, there are ones a little more stiff, but not much. BMW performance is probably your best bet... otherwise do some eibachs or some sort of coilover. but those are expensive.

or jsut buy the sports springs and be done with it. otherwise just stick with your non sport...
Agree, lowering = stiffer rides. I won't bother do OEM sports setup either, go Eibach + FSDs or Koni yellows + H&R sports if you want budgets lowering.
      06-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
drew4392
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Thanks for the honest feedback.

@Yamazaho- Wouldn't the Eibach/Koni Yellow setup be stiffer than the OEM Sport setup?

** So what would I be looking to purchase if I wanted to "upgrade" my non-sport suspension to sport suspension? Only the sport springs? Or are there sport shocks/struts, too?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post

@Yamazaho- Wouldn't the Eibach/Koni Yellow setup be stiffer than the OEM Sport setup?

** So what would I be looking to purchase if I wanted to "upgrade" my non-sport suspension to sport suspension? Only the sport springs? Or are there sport shocks/struts, too?

Thanks!
Well I don't know exactly where is your tolerance for stiffness of a ride, I rode in E92 with H&R w/stock sport shocks and the ride was actually okay. The only thing that I don't like is the life of the shock is shortened.

I have FK coils on my ride and I have to say it's about the same stiffness as my OEM sports suspension. I don't feel a huge difference and my GF approves it.

So again stiffness is not avoidable man, but just how much can you tolerate. As for the setup, I ALWAYS upgrade my shocks along with springs swap. I don't like the idea to change the shocks later after it's blown (or damaged in any way). Suspension installation is a PITA for me and I am not rich enough to have people keep changing my suspensions.

My advise is to go ahead and go with aftermarket Koni/H&R setup, I have only heard great feedback from members with that setup.
      06-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post

Thanks!
To upgrade, you need springs, shocks, and a new front swaybar. My understanding is the rear swaybar is the same.

I have a set of OE sport springs, PM me if you're interested.

-Mike
Appreciate 0