E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Would this require coding? Xenon ballast does not give high beam.

11-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Would this require coding? Xenon ballast does not give high beam.

My E92 right head light ballast (Bosch 1 307 329 153) died following condensation. Installed a second hand ballast which starts the lamp ok, but it does not activate the elektro magnet to get the right side high beam. When I switch the ballasts over, then the problem moves to the other side as well.
As the seller thought too it was the ballast he supplied, he gave me another one. But same problem.

I did notice my original ballasts have an S10003 code on the label, the'new' ones both S10004. So would anyone know if this requires coding?

Last edited by F104; 11-21-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You probably have a short circuit to that specific lamp output. The light module when it monitors a error warning message to a certain number recorded will shut off that specific lamp output to prevent any other damage. You would need to use tool32 to reset the short circuit counter for the high beam that is out.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

cn555ic, thanks. Weird thing though is the lamp functions ok. The only bit that does not function is the electro magnet, which pulls away a metal shield in front of the lens to give the high beam. I've used a 9V battery on the pins of the magnet, and it works fine.
Or are you saying the high beam also results in a higher wattage output to the lamp and it recorded that error? I've used the B/T tool to reset any faults.

I've absolutely no coding knowledge. But it starts to look to me like the car does not recognize the S0004 ballast. The ballast itself works and ignites the lamp, but it does not respond to the high beam request?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

do u get power on the harness side of the connector when u flip it to high beam ? if not, then u have the short circuit protection fault latched as cn555ic said.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Thanks for the input. Battery is now going down (battery alarm after a few seconds) and I've only a bike charger. I did some tests with disconnected xenon lights, simply flashing the lights gives 12V on three out of the four pins on both ballast modules. Only the brown wire/pin seems to be ground.

Will continue later with connected xenon lights. I trust/hope one of the pins hooked up to the solenoid is connected to a relay within the module, and switches to ground when asking for high beam.

But it looks like both modules get power, just one does not want to go to high beam

Opened up the really faulty one, it's a small PC motherboard inside.I count 10+ IC looking things inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

ok I believe I've sorted the wiring out. One of the probes fell out the of cable of my fluke (yes now somewhere under the engine), probably the reason why i was getting inconsistent readings. So what I have now (the square 4 pin white connector):

brown = ground
yellow = power to ignite the lamp. Ok on both, both lamps work.
green = There's two green wires on the pin, one goes to the solenoid. I get 12V on both left & right only when flashing high beam
black/white = the other solenoid wire. Stays at about 0 V on the good ballast between high and low beam. On the "bad" ballast it jumps to 12V when asking for high beam.

Any idea what the problem could be?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

believe to have solved it

as i started this thread just wanted to close it as well. It's not a coding issue. I have B/T, cleared the footwell module again, and also found the reset option last night. No change though

However found the solenoid return pin goes to 0V during high beam on the S10003, but stays at 12V on the S10004. And found an (audi) thread where an owner with the same bi-xenon shutter system found a solenoid wire that had been cleanly cut. He presumed by the Audi dealer while that headlight was repaired while being on holiday. That got me thinking.

So disconnected the wiring on the solenoid side, and hooked the solenoid up with temporary cables to the (green)12V high beam wire going into the ballast, and to ground. And all works.

I thus suspect replacing a S10003 with S10004 requires only a minor wiring change, but dealer sees probably a lot more margin potential in it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Hi , could you post a quick drawing of rewirering that was needed for you , I just installed new ballast module and also have this issue , all faults have been erased with tool32 and INPA.

I will try to erase High Beam left and right just to verify that is not why they dont work for me.

I heard that the adaptive module also can create some problems but still working on that approach.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

you're lucky, i haven't been on this forum for months.. Can't really recall the details as it's well over a year ago, but in re-reading my own posts:

On the ballast you have the 4pin connector, with on one pin 2 wires. So a total of 5 wires. Two of those wires go to the solenoid that tilts the reflector for high beam (green and black/white on mine)

The green wires were ok, I was getting 12V on these on both modules when asking for high beam. The issue was that on the newer module the return wire (black/white) would also be at 12V, so the solenoid did not activate.

I believe I cut the black/white cable and hooked it up to ground (the brown wire).

It's still functioning as it's supposed to be..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Im lucky , no doubt Thanks a million man , been reading my eyes out on coding trying to figure out if this could be fixed with coding or rewiring was needed.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

The ??????? is the shutter ?

And on ballast , you have 2 sockets , one get supply from car , and other one give power to xenon bulb. Its the supply socket I`ll be working on ?

Haven`t been down yet to start investigate in the wires that I need to work with , trying to finish the research before I start working outside.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

That's different from mine. On mine the ballast is mounted horizontally at the bottom of the headlight, the reason why it failed in the first place after water collected in the headlight.
re your pic: To me it looks the two white wires are connected to the soleniod. If they are, then putting 12V across them (doesn't matter how) results in a noise when it moves. I checked mine with an old 12V alkaline battery, just to be sure i wouldn't put too many volts and amps into it if I was wrong..
If it is the same problem as I had, then both white wires have 12V with the new ballast when asking for high beam. You need to find out which one should be cut (and grounded) by using a volt meter and comparing left & right headlight.

EDIT: sorry it might be the same. I did not realize what i was looking at. Yes its the plastic four pin connector on the ballast, not the shielded cable to the xenon light

Last edited by F104; 10-28-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Im suiting up , wish me luck Its pissing down from above , no such thing as garage here , I think its a opening now so hurry hurry.......... Garage is on my to do list
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok , mine was not same as picture , but still easy to identify.

The wires for my solenoid is the green one , from ballast and a brown w purple , from ballast.

So cut the brown w purple and connect to the solid brown from ballast and Im good , got it right I hope

Im ever so grateful for your thread , or I would be wandering in the coding realms still...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Driver side done and working perfectly with dipped beam and full beam.

Passenger side , did the same job , but no success, no power from green, guessing the ballast is partially toast. New is ordered few days ago so hoping it will remedy the full beam.

On another part , my whole lamp unit on passenger side is crap , I had water inside , took it apart and cleaned it , but the xenon lamp unit is not , connected properly , it was aiming sky high and the adjuster did nothing. Also this lamp unit dont have adaptive ... only on my driver side. I know some polish bandits fixed me the replacement headlight but not sure if they messed up on details on what I needed.

Should there not be adaptive module on both sides ? My passenger side headlamp have motors to adjust xenon but no adaptive module there, only on driver side have and everything is working like it should on driver side.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

the picture in your post no 11. was not from your car then? I do recognize the bits in the pics in post 14, end yes that's the solenoid. Maybe the solenoid is gone, the simple check is hooking up it up to 12V (like i did with an old 12V battery - not alkaline as i said but a rechargeable one). If it doesn't move it's gone. The battery I used was bad, but would move the solenoid.

re the self leveling system, the lights should do a check when you switch the ignition on. You can hear the actuator motor running up and down. If you connect one headlight at the time, then you should be able to hear if they do both the same, and with the same noise.

I did the work in my garage, bumper removed, and both headlights laying on top of the engine, with the whole backsides of the lights removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Post #14 is from my car

I didnt measure 12v from green wires coming from Ballast module. Yellow wire gave 12v , I suspect a broken ballast module , new one is on way , same as the new I have installed on driver side. Also I spoke to some coding guys at garage where I live , the rerouting of ground should be also able to be done by coding

My passenger side headlamp is garbage , no point in fixing it , brand new from Latvia is 500$ , I will need one more adaptive module and then Im good to go.

Both sides are rewired so just need to fit my new ballast and done...
Later replace the whole passenger side headlamp with new.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Damn it , new module on passenger side , ground wire splice fix and still no high beams there....

I have one worry , that the lamp installed there is xenon without adaptive, on driverside its xenon with adaptive. All is working on driver side , all minus shutter and obviously no adaptive function on passenger side.

Here I need coding or I need to pull wires from driver side to power the solenoid shutter.

I got confirmation on the ground wire splice fix is not needed , the ground signal can be fixed with coding.

And why do I not get adaptive faults on my passenger side ? Could it be something there causing me to not get power to my shutter ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

The fact that I have a xenon non adaptive installed on my car who has OEM Xenon with adaptive , could that cause a circuit to be broken so that I dont get power for shutter ?
Have looked at my FRM TRC , can find any settings that should cause shutter not to work on my passenger side.

New OEM Adaptive Xenon headlight is in the mail....

All modules are new...

FRM reflashed , defaulted and coding checked.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
LexxxM
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e93 335i

Just wanted to say a massive thank you! I bought some aftermarket ballasts for my headlights as they had got damp etc and started to mess up.. The seller promised me they were correct and a direct fit for my car which was a lie, and I kept them too long to return.. I cut into the yellow for power and brown for ground to power them and the dipped beam worked fine. For months I couldn't figure out why my high beam wouldn't work.. I found this thread and tapped the black&white cable into the ground and voila! Success! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #21
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

I still struggle to get the positive to work on right side.

Soon I will just put a relay up from working left side and get passed inspection

Anyone been able to code their way out of this problem ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #22
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

I still struggle to get the positive to work on right side.

Soon I will just put a relay up from working left side and get passed inspection

Anyone been able to code their way out of this problem ?
Appreciate 0