E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Codes 2F71 & A8AF ???

07-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Codes 2F71 & A8AF ???

Anyone have any ideas whats causing these codes?
I reset using the BT tool and after I restarted the engine and rescanned the faults came back

2F71 - Ebox Fan Input Signal
A8AF - Footwell Module
A8AF - Rain And Light Sensor

None of these codes trigger and warning lights...
Should I be concerned about any of these codes?

Also someone told me the engine has to be running to scan using the BT tool but I was able to scan for faults with just the key fob inserted.
Should the engine be running when using the BT Tool?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
stevetx77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E92

I believe the codes that start with an "A" are light codes. The JB3 is my only mod and I never have engine/tuning related codes. One day I had a "light out" warning pop up on my dash and when I BT'd the car, I had several "A" codes pop up. The goofy thing is that none of my lights were out. I searched around on the forum and found that there is an SIB (service bulletin) from BMW stating that there is a known issue with our tail lamps/lamp socket. The warning lights pop up but no lights are out and this is caused by vibration. There is a fix for this at the dealer where they will install some foam pads on the housing to dampen the shock. Not sure if it works as I've yet to take mine into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetx77 View Post
I believe the codes that start with an "A" are light codes. The JB3 is my only mod and I never have engine/tuning related codes. One day I had a "light out" warning pop up on my dash and when I BT'd the car, I had several "A" codes pop up. The goofy thing is that none of my lights were out. I searched around on the forum and found that there is an SIB (service bulletin) from BMW stating that there is a known issue with our tail lamps/lamp socket. The warning lights pop up but no lights are out and this is caused by vibration. There is a fix for this at the dealer where they will install some foam pads on the housing to dampen the shock. Not sure if it works as I've yet to take mine into the dealer.

Yeah I wasnt too concerned about the "A" Footwell Module code...
But the 2F71 is an engine fault so I'm wondering if its something I should go get checked out... I searched the forums but I seem to be the only person that has ever mentioned this code
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
stevetx77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E92

I've seen that code on a friends 335i that I've BT'd a couple times. I'm told there is a fan in the electrical box (ebox) where the ECU and the JB3 are located. I've never looked for it but have heard it mentioned a few times. I think I've read that the fan blows into the cabin through the firewall to keep the ebox cool. Did you run the jb3 cable into your glove box through the firewall? If you did, maybe something happened to the fan during the install.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetx77 View Post
I've seen that code on a friends 335i that I've BT'd a couple times. I'm told there is a fan in the electrical box (ebox) where the ECU and the JB3 are located. I've never looked for it but have heard it mentioned a few times. I think I've read that the fan blows into the cabin through the firewall to keep the ebox cool. Did you run the jb3 cable into your glove box through the firewall? If you did, maybe something happened to the fan during the install.
Hmmm that sounds logical.. I did just have the JB3 installed and he did route the wire into the glovebox... I'll have it checked out...
Thanks!
Appreciate 0