E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > High performance pads and rotor recommendation

10-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
E90335iflyer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5,BMW 335i, Porsche GT3
Location: JFK, SFO, LAX, NRT, TPE, PVG, HKG, LHR, ATH, MUC, FRA, SIN

High performance pads and rotor recommendation

Coming from cars with much more powerful brakes the 335i oe brakes are not really up to par. Not going with BBK for my daily and a commuter just yet if I can get away with pads and rotor upgrades.

What do my peers here recommend for a good upgrade with more braking power, more consistent and firmer pedal, better modulation and less fade? I do not care for dustless pads from bad past experiences with them(no stopping power, pad fade and etc).

Please list pad(compound as well) and rotor brand and why you recommend them.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check out RacingBrake rotors. Can't recommend pads as I haven't received my rotors yet. I ordered their ET500 pads. 'Mr. 5' liked the Cool Carbon pads with those rotors. Again, your best bet is to talk to Harold at HPA and do some research.
      10-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

R1 concepts.. premium rotors look really nice..they are coated on the hub and inside the vanes to prevent corrision

http://www.r1concepts.com/bmw-335i-2007-sc-disc.htm

I am still on OEM rotors but using Stoptech Street Performance pads..w stainless lines and ATE racing brake fluid..Pads bite harder and less fade compared to OEM
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I haven't tried the racing brake stuff. It's pricy but from what I've heard they're worth it. I use Hawk DTC 70 pads. They're really hard on rotors bit they're fantastic on the track. Not so great on the street. They're really loud and don't work well when cold. Many people swap then out for a track day.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

I did an upgrade to my brakes with:
-Motul 600 fluid
-Porterfield R4-S pads F/R
-ECS Stainless lines
-Z4 35is front rotors (still stock 335 in the rear)

Made a real difference in braking confidence and fade resistance without costing too much money. I highly recommend this setup as a "poor man's brake upgrade" kit. There are no obnoxious noises and the pedal feel is great.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

The stock rotors on the 335i are actually pretty decent and will perform well with other upgrades. Currently, I'm using UUC Stainless Steel brakelines with RS683 fluid. I just put the stock pads back on as I'm about to upgrade the rotors in the spring, but when I tracked it I used Hawk HT10's. They're loud as hell and make a mess of your rotors, but with that setup, they were bullet proof at that track. The HT10's will shorten the life of your rotor and you don't want to drive them around town, so when I upgrade I'm going to buy 2 sets, one dedicated for the HT10's and one for something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90335iflyer View Post
Coming from cars with much more powerful brakes the 335i oe brakes are not really up to par. Not going with BBK for my daily and a commuter just yet if I can get away with pads and rotor upgrades.

What do my peers here recommend for a good upgrade with more braking power, more consistent and firmer pedal, better modulation and less fade? I do not care for dustless pads from bad past experiences with them(no stopping power, pad fade and etc).

Please list pad(compound as well) and rotor brand and why you recommend them.

TIA
Rotor, pads and SS line upgrade may well be enough for your DD. What you want is a more robust rotor with better cooling and pads that offer more brake torque.

We carry the RB two-piece rotors:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=188

As for brake pads, we recommend the Stoptech Street Performance or Porterfield R4S brake pads and if you don't mind a bit of dust(about the same as oe) the Ferodo DS2500 is simply the best aggressive street pads I have ever come across. I have not seen another pad with similar performance at the same price point. Although this forum is great, some suggestions from your peers can be misleading...especially those who are testers/sponsored for a certain brand and will not test/try another brand. Do you own research and ask vendors lots of questions...Call Performance Friction, Hawk, Stoptech, Porterfield and Ferodo if you must. Call Zeckhausen...They are one of the most respected brake parts vendor in the US, brakes is all they do.

Direct replacement SS lines from Stoptech are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

And this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...ts_Accessories

are good ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
decker335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post
Don't get those, they are cr4p. I got the R1 concepts premium on eBay and cool carbon ceramic pads from bavauto. Total all in was 800+- and couldn't be happier. The r1 are well built and won't rust as bad as the cheapies.

My setup has been on for about 1000 miles now, better than stock (also did a flush) and less dust than the BMW oem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PREMI...#ht_4046wt_974
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker335i View Post
Don't get those, they are cr4p. I got the R1 concepts premium on eBay and cool carbon ceramic pads from bavauto. Total all in was 800+- and couldn't be happier. The r1 are well built and won't rust as bad as the cheapies.

My setup has been on for about 1000 miles now, better than stock (also did a flush) and less dust than the BMW oem.

TNX Decker !!!!
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

That ebay listing is way too high. Stoptech Premium Rotors with Posi Quiet Ceramic pads shouldn't be more than $497.97 before shipping!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Stoptech Posi Quiet Ceramic, Posi Quiet Metallic, Posi Quiet Extended wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post
The OP is looking for high performance pads and rotors. The Stoptech PQ series pads although consider high performance are actually NOT. The produce less dust, but do not stop the car well. They have less brake torque than oem pads and we do not recommend them.

OE replacement is at the minimum PQ Metallic. Performance pads the OP is asking for is the Stoptech Street Performance pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Check out RacingBrake rotors. Can't recommend pads as I haven't received my rotors yet. I ordered their ET500 pads. 'Mr. 5' liked the Cool Carbon pads with those rotors. Again, your best bet is to talk to Harold at HPA and do some research.
Quote:

We agree, you can't go wrong with the Cool Carbon pads, we think they are the best choice out there for street and occasional track: easy to modulate, very fade resistant, increasing friction level as heat increases, and lower dust than OEM pads. Great overall pads
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I must said here that Mr. 5's opinion is biased.

Although he was testing the two-piece rotors for RB, he refused to use RB ET series brake pads - This information came directly from the owner of RB, Warren.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post

Although he was testing the two-piece rotors for RB, he refused to use RB ET series brake pads - This information came directly from the owner of RB, Warren.
I'm not influenced by his opinion at all to tell you the truth. Those are the pads he said he used with RB's rotors and why I mentioned it. Other members have reported they like the CC pads as well. 'The Hack' mentioned other pads would be better w/RB's rotors, but it sounds like he selects products for the track. I ordered the RB ET500 pads when I ordered the f/r rotors from RB for my car, which is driven on the street. I also suggested the OP ask you, so thanks for posting..
      10-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:

Well, since you brought me up, I'll tell you what actually happened.
When I picked up the RB rotors, Warren wanted me to try out the pads and I accepted. I installed the pads, bedded them in and ran them on the street to see what they felt like. The pad felt really good and did a really good job with fading, but what got me was the noise. They said that this pad was a street/track pad.
Every time I would come to a stop, I would get noise.
So, I asked myself...Why would I run a street/track pad that is noisy when I can run a street/track pad that I have already enjoyed that isn't noisy?
Hmmm...I'll choose the one that isn't noisy.

BTW, I still have all of my emails to and from Warren explaining all of this in detail. I even shot a video of the noise.
Here's something to think about...I like things that work and I like things that work well.
This is one of the reasons that I have been through so many exhausts, tunes, and wheels.
Biased is an interesting word especially when quoted by a vendor.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251677.00
      10-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Well, since you brought me up, I'll tell you what actually happened.
When I picked up the RB rotors, Warren wanted me to try out the pads and I accepted. I installed the pads, bedded them in and ran them on the street to see what they felt like. The pad felt really good and did a really good job with fading, but what got me was the noise. They said that this pad was a street/track pad.
Every time I would come to a stop, I would get noise.
So, I asked myself...Why would I run a street/track pad that is noisy when I can run a street/track pad that I have already enjoyed that isn't noisy?
Hmmm...I'll choose the one that isn't noisy.

BTW, I still have all of my emails to and from Warren explaining all of this in detail. I even shot a video of the noise.
Here's something to think about...I like things that work and I like things that work well.
This is one of the reasons that I have been through so many exhausts, tunes, and wheels.
Biased is an interesting word especially when quoted by a vendor.

When properly bedded in I have not experienced noise with the ET500 or many other pads that people reported to be noisy and I have tried many brands and compounds in my time. Race pads are exceptions.

If you have video or photos showing your pads and rotors during the install and after bedding in, I'll be able to tell you if you have given ET500 the proper bed it procedure it deserved. Otherwise it simply isn't fair to say the ET500 is noisy.

You were promoting the Cool Carbon pads and companies that sold them at one point, am I right? Perhaps you were sponsored by them or have received a set at a "special" price?

Last edited by HP Autosport; 10-06-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
When properly bedded in I have not experienced noise with the ET500 or many other pads that people reported to be noisy and I have tried many brands and compounds in my time. Race pads are exceptions.

If you have video or photos showing your pads and rotors during the install and after bedding in, I'll be able to tell you if you have given ET500 the proper bed it procedure it deserved. Otherwise it simply isn't fair to say the ET500 is noisy.

You were promoting the Cool Carbon pads and companies that sold them at one point, am I right? Perhaps you were sponsored by them or have received a set at a "special" price?
I think it's funny how you talk about "properly bedded" like I don't know how to bed them in. The more the pad bedded in, the worse the noise was.
I also add orange CRC brake quiet to all pads I install to make sure that the pads don't vibrate against the piston.

Here's the video that I took.
Every time just before coming to the stop, this happened:
Enjoy...

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I think it's funny how you talk about "properly bedded" like I don't know how to bed them in. The more the pad bedded in, the worse the noise was.
I also add orange CRC brake quiet to all pads I install to make sure that the pads don't vibrate against the piston.

Here's the video that I took.
Every time just before coming to the stop, this happened:
Enjoy...

Most people think they know how to bed in brake pads and rotors, but they really don't and they wonder why their brake pads are noisy.

Your video did not show your install nor how the pads and rotors looked after bedding in so I can't determined if the bedding procedure was properly done.

The brake pad paste we recommend below needs to be applied as a thin coat not only to the back side of the brake pad backing plate where it meets the piston, but also on the leading edges of the backing plate where it makes contact with the caliper bracket. What I found in the 15+ years working on BMW's and as an ASE Master Tech a copper powder anti-seize style brake paste with high temperature properties that doesn't melt and water resistant is the best. Mercedes Benz offers a brake paste formulated for their M-class works very well, as it tend not to dry up like others on the market and viscosity is high enough so that it does not run. Part# A001 989 87 51

We also operate a German car repair shop and this MB brake paste with proper bed in will ensure a couple of years of noise free operation and to guarantee our work with oem or street performance pads.

CRC brake quiet just doesn't pass the test with professionals.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Just Completed Front Today

ZIMMERMAN Z-COATED ROTORS
HPS HAWK PADS
COPPER ANTI FOR HUB AND ROTOR SET SCREW
SYN LUBE FOR CALIPERS PINS AND CALIPER MOUNT PLATE EARS
OEM SENSOR WIRE
QUIET COAT FOR BACK OF PADS - PRE COATED AND LET SIT FOR 12 hrs
SO FAR EVERYTHIG IS GOOD -- NO SQUEAL -- PARTS LOOK QUALITY
HOPE THAT THE HAWKS ARE AT LEAST OEM BITE
GOT PARTS FROM 3 Vendors : ECS Tuning, Tischer & BAVARIAN AUTO
COMPLETED THE BED-IN -- WILL REPORT IN THE COMMING WEEKS NO MY DD.

DID NOTICE THE ATE Brand on the OEM BMW CALIPERS
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #21
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Quote:
The OP is looking for high performance pads and rotors. The Stoptech PQ series pads although consider high performance are actually NOT. The produce less dust, but do not stop the car well. They have less brake torque than oem pads and we do not recommend them.

OE replacement is at the minimum PQ Metallic. Performance pads the OP is asking for is the Stoptech Street Performance pads.
TNX
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

HPS AND Zimmerman

Unless you are tracking and plan to upgrade to BBK -- HPS & ZIMMERMAN or even OEM is about perfect for DD.
As far a comming from other cars with better brakes -- account for the weight of a BMW --- they are really good.
Appreciate 0