E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cayman S

05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Get the Cayman. Simply an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
this sums it up perfectly. The Cockster:

05-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
The Cayman like most Porsche's just looks like shit. People will say, oh yes, but it's mid engined, perfectly balanced, almost as fast as a 911, yada, yada. It's ugly, the proportions especially from the rear are way off, the center exhaust looks silly and the car is just a flat out eye sore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
The Cayman series provides a sad reputations for the Porsche brand.
The boxter is just a disgrace.

Get the Carrera (even if it isn't the S or the turbo.)
While appearance is purely subjective handling etc is not and Porsche has been and continues to be a leader. Try driving one before you go on and on. They are amazing cars and are built in the same building as the 911 in Zuffenhauzen. I would rather have ANY Porsche over a 3 series BMW. I cant go 2 blocks without seeing 20 of these 3ers.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
It does provide a sad reputation for the brand, by demonstrating the fact that the supposedly performance oriented company will gladly handicap a far superior sports car platform to ensure that their ass-engined flagship remains at the top of their marketing hierarchy (as demanded by the Porsche "aficionados").

The Cayman is quite likely one of the very best sports cars produced in recent years. I would go for the Cayman if you can deal with the maintenance and repair.
What a ridiculous uneducated post. How different is that from each 3? They are all on same platform as M3. 335is only has 20 hp gain to keep it from encroaching on M3 handling/speed. Every car company has that. For a car that is so poorly designed as you imply, its done and continues to do very well around the world both on and off the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
another vote for the Cayman
      05-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
theoldblue
Rep
Drives: 335is

I have had BOTH

a Cayman and a 335is.

Both handle very well. The Cayman is far more sensitive and precise, however, which comes from being hundreds of pounds lighter. Acceleration is better as well [ditto on the weight].

I have the 335is convertible, with hard roof, which gives me year round satisfaction.

I like that I sit higher in the 335is, and at my 65 years, it's easier to get in
and out of. Also love the dual clutch transmission [you can get PDK in Porsche if you like], and there is more interior room, if less trunk room. [Would have the manual except for knee problems and pending surgery.] Both manuals are very good.

Steering is heavier and feels more artificial [no surprise if you have Porsche experience]. Exhaust sound at low rpm is better - none of that drone - but not as satisfying at higher rpm.

Brakes are good on both. Points to the Porsche for skipping the run flats.

I had no driveline problems at all on the Cayman nor on the 335is.

Both are great cars. Plus to the 335is if you want a year round convertible.

I take exception with the person who insulted the Cayman looks. Very, very sharp, and similar to my '55 550 spyder.

Also not every Tom, Dick and Harry has a Porsche. Get the coupe or the convertible to be at least a bit different.

And drive them, for goodness' sake !

mike

Last edited by theoldblue; 05-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
What a ridiculous uneducated post. How different is that from each 3? They are all on same platform as M3. 335is only has 20 hp gain to keep it from encroaching on M3 handling/speed. Every car company has that. For a car that is so poorly designed as you imply, its done and continues to do very well around the world both on and off the track.
I don't know what you are smoking, but read the post that I was replying to. I was not talking about BMWs at all.

Unless you think the M3 is ass-engined.

P.S. I re-read your post. I guess you are saying that the relationship between the 335is and the M3 is the same as the relationship between the Cayman and the 911. Not quite. There is a significant difference between the Boxster/Cayman and the 911 in terms of weight distribution. Rear-midship is not the same thing as rear engined. And yes, the 911 is a very competent car, but much of its mystique drives from Porsche's ability to overcome an INHERENTLY UNBALANCED chassis to achieve such greatness. Is that impressive? Yes. Does that change the fact that having the entire engine hanging behind your rear axle isn't a great starting point for a purebred sports car? No. Given the same amount of power and similar tuning, I have no doubt that the Cayman will smoke a 911 in most tracks.

Last edited by Propagator; 05-16-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what you are smoking, but read the post that I was replying to. I was not talking about BMWs at all.

Unless you think the M3 is ass-engined.

P.S. I re-read your post. I guess you are saying that the relationship between the 335is and the M3 is the same as the relationship between the Cayman and the 911. Not quite. There is a significant difference between the Boxster/Cayman and the 911 in terms of weight distribution. Rear-midship is not the same thing as rear engined. And yes, the 911 is a very competent car, but much of its mystique drives from Porsche's ability to overcome an INHERENTLY UNBALANCED chassis to achieve such greatness. Is that impressive? Yes. Does that change the fact that having the entire engine hanging behind your rear axle isn't a great starting point for a purebred sports car? No. Given the same amount of power and similar tuning, I have no doubt that the Cayman will smoke a 911 in most tracks.
Just meant that they didnt give it any more hp so it wouldnt catch M3...same as Cayman and 911. While on paper the rear engine design should be terrible. Each iteration gets better however. The entire engine does not hang behind the rear wheels anymore btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I drove the cayman s Sony Xplod car with the VF supercharger on it, that was fun but never have driven a stock one, but i do have cool stories
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Just meant that they didnt give it any more hp so it wouldnt catch M3...same as Cayman and 911. While on paper the rear engine design should be terrible. Each iteration gets better however. The entire engine does not hang behind the rear wheels anymore btw.
I don't see that comparison. If you add more power to the regular 3er, that would be an M3 minus the more aggressive chassis. If you add the aggressive chassis, you have an M3, more or less.

The same is not true for the Cayman vs. 911. If you add more power to the Cayman, you get a better balanced and better performing sports car than the 911, a situation that Porsche would not allow for marketing reasons.

Your comparison between the regular 3er and the M3 is more similar to the difference between a Carrera S and a GT3. One is a higher performance version of the other, but both are basically the same car. Not so for the Cayman vs. 911.

And also, AFAIK the entire engine still hangs in the back of the rear axle. (Ok, maybe not ALL of it, but most of it)

Last edited by Propagator; 05-16-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

i cant believe how many ppl on here are knocking on the cayman s. op if you dont need the extra space for every day use, i'd definitely look into a cayman s. gl
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
Php
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CaymanS, used to be e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer206 View Post
agreed dont get cayman get carrera, cayman look weird and the exhaust in the center is gay
So you're calling a GT3 gay too?

I have a cayman S, traded in my e92 335 for it, so I may be a bit biased. But, at least I can say the Porsche has a whole lot less problems than all BMWs I've owned. I've had it for 18 months now and zero problems except a dead battery. Replaced with a bigger one from autozone myself for $120 bucks. Nothing else. BMWs have had all kinds of electronic problems, none major but kind of annoying.

But from a luxury standpoint, 335 is much better. Also the cayman has too much road noise, so it's kind of impossible to play some light piano music in the car while driving on the highway, which I love to do. You might want to take that into consideration. I heard the carreras are much better in this aspect.

I like carreras, and am thinking moving to one from the cayman in a year. However, I cannot disagree that the cayman will be the superior platform, and it will outrun t carrera if put into similar specs, including the GT3. Carrera is a great car, but the name is a big factor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
amitkhas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i X-Drive Sedan

In terms of performance, the Cayman S is better than the 335.

However, you have to think of other factors, that is, if they are factors for your situation.

I was torn between these very two cars last year as well.

These were my thoughts:
Cayman S is a sports car and carries more status symbol. It's not as common (at least here).
Cayman S performs better
Cayman S is a porsche... and I'd love to own one (a porsche) one day.

Reasons why I went for 335
I live in northeast with brutal winters. X-Drive helps here.
I travel a lot and need the luggage space. 4 doors helps here.
Comfort. I drive long trips (commute is 2 hrs of twisty roads each way). Sit in a Cayman S for a few hours... not nearly as comfy (seats, cabin electronics, etc).

If I went w/ Cayman S, i'd have to get a secondary car. I found 335 to be a happy medium.

If these factors aren't factors for you, then go for the cayman s and let me live vicariously through you.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #36
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 3281 Xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
cayman s, especially if practicality isnt a main concern
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

I would personally love a Cayman--I think it looks pretty good, and most of all, it's a Porsche, which is enough said. However, between the choice of a NEW 335i or a USED Cayman, I would not think twice: Get the 3! There's no better feeling than having a car that no one but you has owned.
      05-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #38
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
I would personally love a Cayman--I think it looks pretty good, and most of all, it's a Porsche, which is enough said. However, between the choice of a NEW 335i or a USED Cayman, I would not think twice: Get the 3! There's no better feeling than having a car that no one but you has owned.
There is also no better way to loose ton of money in depresiation. I would take a used cpo Cayman over new 3 any day
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #39
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
agreed dont get cayman get carrera, cayman look weird and the exhaust in the center is gay
......Ferrari 458 is gay, GT3 RS is gay, new McLaren.....gay.......................
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't see that comparison. If you add more power to the regular 3er, that would be an M3 minus the more aggressive chassis. If you add the aggressive chassis, you have an M3, more or less.

The same is not true for the Cayman vs. 911. If you add more power to the Cayman, you get a better balanced and better performing sports car than the 911, a situation that Porsche would not allow for marketing reasons.

Your comparison between the regular 3er and the M3 is more similar to the difference between a Carrera S and a GT3. One is a higher performance version of the other, but both are basically the same car. Not so for the Cayman vs. 911.

And also, AFAIK the entire engine still hangs in the back of the rear axle. (Ok, maybe not ALL of it, but most of it)

Prop, youre arguing for the sake of arguing. We all see things differently. The 911 may be a unique layout but its still the race car of choice (over Cayman) for most. Maybe it shouldnt work but it does. 70s and 80s 911 were brutal by comparison but things have changed. Having said all that, I think it was C&D that called the Cayman the best handling car under $100,000. BLBABLA BLA, buy the Cayman if you dont need the room.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #41
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS
......Ferrari 458 is gay, GT3 RS is gay, new McLaren.....gay.......................
: Exactly.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
335i > Ferrari 458, GT3 RS, McLaren
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
MrClean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 428i

Thanks, guys. An interesting and entertaining read.

I'm leaning very heavily towards the Cayman. The one caveat is my wife is pushing hard for a PDK (which, if you're going to drive an auto, is about as good as it gets), though finding used PDKs in our price range optioned the way I want is damned near impossible. The first car we looked at had it all, but by the time I convinced her to even considering getting one, the car had sold. Oh, well - I guess that means I'll have to suffer through 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

YOU ONLY BUY A BOXTER OR CAYMAN BECAUSE YOU CANT AFFORD A 911!

LOL
joke
Appreciate 0