E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Question for IE/North Corona residents

09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
JW_BMW
Rep
Drives: M5

Question for IE/North Corona residents

Synopsis

I live in Los Angeles but recently purchased a second residence in the Corona Hills area a few months back. Yesterday afternoon at around 2pm as I was stopped at a red light off Hidden Valley Pky near the 15 fwy a police cruiser stopped next to my left. As the light turned green I proceeded to drive off. The police cruiser waited then pulled up behind me, turned on the sirens to pull me over.

(I was not driving fast, did not have the music on loud, no tinted windows etc)

Officer pulls me over and tells me I am pulling you over because I did not have a front license plate. I gave him all the necessary paperwork lic, reg, ins. (At this point 2 more cruisers arrived at the scene.) He asked me where I was coming from and where I was going. I told him I lived up the block and I am heading down to LA. He tells me I need to exit the car because he wants to do a search. I am being polite about it because I have nothing to hide. So I stepped out and he padded me down then told me to sit on the sidewalk. He went ahead to search the car. After the search he says he has a K9 unit on the way and if the dog can go over the car. I said sure do what you need to do. Now I am starting to feel a bit ashamed. I am sitting out on the sidewalk in the middle of a sunny afternoon with 3 police cruisers and a K9 unit searching my car. Im like what WTF is going on.

The officer that pulled me over is now asking where my house in Corona is, when did I buy it, who did I buy it from etc. I answered the questions very politely. The second officer is now making friendly conversation and asking about my car. Given the situation I tried to be as friendly as possible and just answered his questions.

After the dog went over the car the officer hands me back all of my info and tells me he will not write me a ticket for the missing front license plate and I can be on my way again.

Here is my question; Is this a normal occurrence in NorCo? Or is it just my bad luck?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
MrChessy
Magical Pill...
United_States
Rep
Drives: wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW_BMW View Post
Synopsis

I live in Los Angeles but recently purchased a second residence in the Corona Hills area a few months back. Yesterday afternoon at around 2pm as I was stopped at a red light off Hidden Valley Pky near the 15 fwy a police cruiser stopped next to my left. As the light turned green I proceeded to drive off. The police cruiser waited then pulled up behind me, turned on the sirens to pull me over.

Officer pulls me over and tells me I am pulling you over because I did not have a front license plate. I gave him all the necessary paperwork lic, reg, ins. (At this point 2 more cruisers arrived at the scene.) He asked me where I was coming from and where I was going. I told him I lived up the block and I am heading down to LA. He tells me I need to exit the car because he wants to do a search. I am being polite about it because I have nothing to hide. So I stepped out and he padded me down then told me to sit on the sidewalk. He went ahead to search the car. After the search he says he has a K9 unit on the way and if the dog can go over the car. I said sure do what you need to do. Now I am starting to feel a bit ashamed. I am sitting out on the sidewalk in the middle of a sunny afternoon with 3 police cruisers and a K9 unit searching my car. Im like what WTF is going on.

The officer that pulled me over is now asking where my house in Corona is, when did I buy it, who did I buy it from etc. I answered the questions very politely. The second officer is now making friendly conversation and asking about my car. Given the situation I tried to be as friendly as possible and just answered his questions.

After the dog went over the car the officer hands me back all of my info and tells me he will not write me a ticket for the missing front license plate and I can be on my way again.

Here is my question; Is this a normal occurrence in NorCo? Or is it just my bad luck?
It's normal if they were racial profiling. Seems like the cop was a dick for doing it. Not all cops are a-holes but you just ran into some bad luck with this popo...
      09-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Synopsis

Well seeming that this has happen to me many of times over years but being that you drive something nice I speculate the cop was simply hating on what you had and just wanted to give you a full shake down. Not typical for norco because I lived out there a couple years back. Damn I got to say they brought the dog out to sniff your car. Thats beyond the point. Based on what I was told by my friend who is cop you can actually say no to the search and the dog. See he already stated what he pulled you over for. So you provided the document needed. People will probably disagree and say its good you said yes to everything but its your rights they violated just because you dont know what you can actually say and what you cant. You can always tell him that you said you pulled me over for no plate i have provided the documents needed. They are only supposed to search the car if they suspect something. Not every cop is like that but from my experience its seems theres more dick cops then good ones. Welcome to world of a cop where his head is bigger than his badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
JW_BMW
Rep
Drives: M5

You know; I thought about saying no and asking what was his probable cause for the search. But because I only lived a few blocks from the scene and i was on my way back to LA to pick up my niece from school I did not want to drag it on.

The excuse to pull me over was for not having a front license plate...btw, he never gave me a ticket for that. But to call in 3 cruisers and a K9 unit in the middle of the afternoon in a residental area is excessive.

Now that I have a night to think about it I guess i am just . The question that is stuck in my head is "why are you in Corona?"

I am just curious to know if this is common in NorCo or just one of those days. If it is common then I don't know if I want to stay in NorCo anymore...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
You know; I thought about saying no and asking what was his probable cause for the search. But because I only lived a few blocks from the scene and i was on my way back to LA to pick up my niece from school I did not want to drag it on.

The excuse to pull me over was for not having a front license plate...btw, he never gave me a ticket for that. But to call in 3 cruisers and a K9 unit in the middle of the afternoon in a residental area is excessive.

Now that I have a night to think about it I guess i am just . The question that is stuck in my head is "why are you in Corona?"

I am just curious to know if this is common in NorCo or just one of those days. If it is common then I don't know if I want to stay in NorCo anymore...
I wouldnt worry at all its really rare in that area and to give you an idea I been pulled over in West Covina 8 times in a 1 and half year time. I moved to corona lived there for 1 year not pulled over once. Its rare in corona. Most cops do ask that question whatever city they pull you over in why your in the city. Try having your girl sit outside the car with you. Its an embarassing moment but thats what they want, dont give them the satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

I'm familar with that area (Hidden Valley Parkway), I often go to that area (Kohl's, Shell gas station, Costco, etc) in Corona/Norco. I am surprised that the cop stopped you and asking these dumb questions like "where are you going? why are you here?" etc. I think it is NOT his own business. He's not professional policeman and wow... three cop cars and a K9 unit? That is excessive. I think they (3 cops & K9) are trying to show you that they have more authority. Sheesh.
Maybe you should file a complaint against them?

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0