E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xDrive: H&R Sport Springs...only???

03-21-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
ronmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i Xdrive

335xDrive: H&R Sport Springs...only???

Is there any downside to "just" installing H&R sport springs?

My 335 xDrive is my daily driver and I'm in a winter city. I'm content with a mild drop, but really just want less roll in the turns - and more stability at higher highway speeds. I don't like the sloppiness of the stock suspension, but think perhaps a full coil-over is overkill.

Tire rack suggests Koni Yellows are available for the xDrive (if needed), but I'm thinking that the H&R sport springs would be a good incremental start. (coincidentally going this route is also less expensive and would allow me to add new struts later, if desired).

Comments appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

I'm in the same boat with Eibachs, apparently their drop is a little more conservative, just not sure if it's the right way to go without changing shocks... Or if its just a better idea to save up for coils?

This ride height is annoying on my 19s and money for coils isn't really my top priority. I'm in for feedback from members who have run springs only!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
LaxIan55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 xdrive

I would only think about this route if you are doing the work yourself and have some extra time on your hands to do it again down the road. Your shocks WILL wear out faster and then it will ride like absolute garbage. Then you will have to tear it all back apart again just to replace something that you could have done the first time as well as paying for a second alignment.

This will likely happen within 6-8 months depending on how many miles you have on it now. If you can't do it yourself then you will be paying someone to do it twice and and then it becomes very not worth it.

I would rather do it right the first time at this point as I don't have time to go back and do things twice if I can help it.

I have gone down this route on previous cars and it wasn't worth it, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

Do it right, you may think your saving money now but in the long run you'll end up paying more. This is due to having to pay for labor and alignment twice.

You say it's your daily driver but I'm SOL when we get more than a light dusting of snow. Hopefully you have a job you can work from home until the plows come out. I have eibach and my front end clearance is only 5.5" (14 cm).
Attached Images

Last edited by critical05; 03-21-2015 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Your right about lessening shock life, is there a particular mileage after when shocks become more vulnerable? My car has about 34,000 miles on it and considering a conservative drop like hr sport or eibach would they really only last 6-8 months? I don't mind getting coilovers next summer but that idea will be ruined if a shock or two gives out before that. (Shock replacement cost in mind)

I don't mean to thread jack OP, just partnering up!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
LaxIan55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92
Your right about lessening shock life, is there a particular mileage after when shocks become more vulnerable? My car has about 34,000 miles on it and considering a conservative drop like hr sport or eibach would they really only last 6-8 months? I don't mind getting coilovers next summer but that idea will be ruined if a shock or two gives out before that. (Shock replacement cost in mind)

I don't mean to thread jack OP, just partnering up!
I would say with only 35k on it you could probably get a year on it but then you are in at least $2k between everything.

Maybe look for a lightly used coilover set? Or a used set of Koni's or Bilsteins to install with the springs now.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
ronmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
Do it right, you may think your saving money now but in the long run you'll end up paying more. This is due to having to pay for labor and alignment twice.

You say it's your daily driver but I'm SOL when we get more than a light dusting of snow. Hopefully you have a job you can work from home until the plows come out. I have eibach and my front end clearance is only 5.5" (14 cm).
Yes...it's my daily driver, and I recognize that there are snow storms that will even ground a Jeep. But on the few occasions this happens I not sure it should be the determining factor for this mod.

I'm quite positive, in fact, that losing 1.0-1.2" of clearance is not going to make all the difference in such heavy snow - respectfully, on that logic I could never buy a ///M car as a daily either.

But what I'm taking from the replies is: if I go with new sport springs...I should also add new struts all around (if not going with full coil-over). That approach remains decidedly less expensive.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
ronmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxIan55 View Post
I would only think about this route if you are doing the work yourself and have some extra time on your hands to do it again down the road. Your shocks WILL wear out faster and then it will ride like absolute garbage. Then you will have to tear it all back apart again just to replace something that you could have done the first time as well as paying for a second alignment.

This will likely happen within 6-8 months depending on how many miles you have on it now. If you can't do it yourself then you will be paying someone to do it twice and and then it becomes very not worth it.

I would rather do it right the first time at this point as I don't have time to go back and do things twice if I can help it.

I have gone down this route on previous cars and it wasn't worth it, but to each their own.
I appreciate the frankness - I expected this line of thought to some degree.

I take it that your not saying the ONLY appropriate suspension mod is coil-overs? If I added Koni yellows all-around (apparently they offer all four now) to the H&R sport this would be the solution (and would avoid the immediate wear on the OEM struts)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
6-8 months is a little ridiculous. Lowering springs on non-sport shocks will decrease the life of the shocks by maybe 25%. They'll wear out faster for sure but it won't be immediate unless you already have 50k+ miles on them already, at which point you should be replacing them with proper sport shocks. Having personally had H&R springs on stock shocks, H&R springs on Bilstein Sport shocks and now KW coil overs, I can personally attest to the fact that you get what you pay for. The ride quality on H&R springs was horrible and not suited for a daily driver IMO. The Bilsteins made it better but in my mind the KW's are far and away the better option.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
Try the Dinan Springs. Almost as much drop as H&R but meant to be used with stock suspension. I have them and really like the drop overall and got them for about 250 as my local dealer is running a sale on Dinan products.
      03-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welterweight View Post
Try the Dinan Springs. Almost as much drop as H&R but meant to be used with stock suspension. I have them and really like the drop overall and got them for about 250 as my local dealer is running a sale on Dinan products.
Do you mind posting a pic of your drop? On the Dinan site it says recommended to be used with koni/dinan struts, and then under benefits it says 1/2" front and 0" rear drop. This is under e92 xi.

Much appreciated feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
Hmm that's way off what I saw as a drop. When I bought the springs it said to be used with oem suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Even though you think Coils are overkill, they're not. I highly recommend it especially if it snows there. You can adjust the height by just a hand of the wrench. You'd be wasting $500-600 with springs+labor+alignment. You can go Koni yellows later on, but most people regret going that route because KWv1's are almost in the same ball park by $300 then install and such that needs to be done.

If you decide to stick with springs, go eibach. H&R's are bouncy. I disliked it on my previous cars. Koni's are great comfort! I loved them but regretted I didn't do coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #14
ronmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
Even though you think Coils are overkill, they're not. I highly recommend it especially if it snows there. You can adjust the height by just a hand of the wrench. You'd be wasting $500-600 with springs+labor+alignment. You can go Koni yellows later on, but most people regret going that route because KWv1's are almost in the same ball park by $300 then install and such that needs to be done.

If you decide to stick with springs, go eibach. H&R's are bouncy. I disliked it on my previous cars. Koni's are great comfort! I loved them but regretted I didn't do coilovers.
Thanks man...I'm again leaning towards the KW1s...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #15
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmeister View Post
Thanks man...I'm again leaning towards the KW1s...
Rightfully so. Do a bit more research on H&R and you will find many people not happy with ride quality. I had a set myself on my old Acura CL-S before with Tokico illumina adjustable shocks and it was decent because of the shocks however still pretty harsh. I had to watch out for potholes very carefully. But if you do hit one its like Thor's hammer through the seat
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #16
Misterp214
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi sedan

H&r springs kills the ride, I'm not going to lie. I just installed them maybe a week ago. I live in Texas and it's very bouncy.. I bought these just to fit with my style 95s 19x10 all around and I'm planning on buying coilovers in the future. If you want it for looks, I would say yes it's a go, but if you don't want to kill your ride then just wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #17
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I haven't had them on a bmw, BUT, I do have just eibachs on my '11 128i and the drop is nice, handling is crazy awesome and the ride is still pretty much stock.

I would expect it to be the same on our xDrives.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
Misterp214
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi sedan

I think the h&r springs are lower than the eibachs. The h&rs aren't that bad only when I drive around pot holes you can really feel the bumps.
Appreciate 0