E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMW PE vs Stock with PE mod

07-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #67
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
I would leave the packing to reduce drone.

e92 owners: upgrade xpipe and replace secondary cats with resonators

e90 owners: leave factory resonator and remove secondary cats

I would replace the muffler with dual resonators. very, very good sound with absolutely no drone!
I have left the packing alone. I removed both my xpipe and secondary cats. I can argue that I have no drone, but that's with my sense of hearing. It may be for some others.
      07-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #68
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
strongly recommend you put the x-pipe back on.

the general rule stated by TheAxiom is that you want either a resonator OR an x-pipe in your exhaust system. otherwise, you will lose roughly 2-4 torque. thy also help make your car sound better.

for those of you who have a resonator from the factory, I would advise leaving it because they are very well designed and filter out unwanted droning and frequencies with a minimal impact on the overall volume of the exhaust. if you do put a x-pipe back in (which i advise you do) grab a good quality stainless steel one.

my current exhaust setup has a little bit of drone which I dont mind, but resonators arent there only to reduce drone. they "tune" the exhaust note to sound cleaner IMO.
ZOMG 2-4 tq?!?!? unless you meant 20-40(which i'm 99% sure you didn't) who cares? You can't even measure that on a dyno.

how does a resonator increase tq? or stop you from losing it?

Given his quote in my sig it doesn't sound like he likes his exhaust fwiw...finally this is in the FI section of the forum...I swear you NA guys obsess about the smallest amounts of powah.

Last edited by Torgus; 07-24-2017 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #69
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
resonators causes turbulent flow within your exhaust system which in turn increases power. this is why your intake has it's own resonator.
How would slowing the exhaust gases down by making the exhaust gases more turbulent increase powah? Especially in an FI engine?

My intake does not have a resonator...? In fact most aftermarket ones do not. The helmholtz resonators used in intakes are used to reduce the sound of induction as far as I know. If they increased powah aftermarket intakes would have them.

I would prefer laminar flow over turbulent. In fact this is why you increase the size of your boost pipes in an FI motor as at a point the air starts to get turbulent and you make less powah. In theory turbulent flow can generate heat as well as pressure drop and restriction. None of which you want.

For all intents and purposes an engine is an air pump the more air and faster you can get the air in and out = powah.

Last edited by Torgus; 07-24-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #70
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
some say you lose power with a res, others say you don't. either way, I think that resonated exhaust systems sound cleaner and more easy on the ear, but obviously exhaust notes are a subjective matter.

resonators barely affect exhaust flow and barely have any effect on overall exhaust volume. at the very least, why not experiment with new mufflers or a downpipe, secondary cat delete (if applicable) before deciding that the resonator must go?

also, do you have a factory or aftermarket intake?
RB stock location silicone inlets on my stock N54 turbos currently.

I like resonators, don't get me wrong, they can help the sound of exhausts immensely. So we agree on that! Its always fun to play around with different exhaust components to get the sound you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #71
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
I have left the packing alone. I removed both my xpipe and secondary cats. I can argue that I have no drone, but that's with my sense of hearing. It may be for some others.
strongly recommend you put the x-pipe back on.

the general rule stated by TheAxiom is that you want either a resonator OR an x-pipe in your exhaust system. otherwise, you will lose roughly 2-4 torque. thy also help make your car sound better.

for those of you who have a resonator from the factory, I would advise leaving it because they are very well designed and filter out unwanted droning and frequencies with a minimal impact on the overall volume of the exhaust. if you do put a x-pipe back in (which i advise you do) grab a good quality stainless steel one.

my current exhaust setup has a little bit of drone which I dont mind, but resonators arent there only to reduce drone. they "tune" the exhaust note to sound cleaner IMO.
Stopped reading after "TheAxiom"....
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      07-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #72
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Stopped reading after "TheAxiom"....
lol
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #73
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Adding a resonator into my mid pipe killed any bangs (gunshots) instead it sounds like weird thud now.

Im looking at having a custom exhaust made now, since our engine is similar to the M2 engine, and the M2 sounds great, I was thinking of copying what it has.

Thoughts?
      07-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #74
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Adding a resonator into my mid pipe killed any bangs (gunshots) instead it sounds like weird thud now.

Im looking at having a custom exhaust made now, since our engine is similar to the M2 engine, and the M2 sounds great, I was thinking of copying what it has.

Thoughts?
What about just removing the resonator?
      07-31-2017, 01:34 AM   #75
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That make it loud again and yes add the gunshots back, but wont help the drone I want to kill.

I thought of moving the resonators from the mid pipe to a sort of cross pipe before the tips. Like remove J pipes and weld the resonator in place.

Act like the cross pipe in the stock exhaust that joins the two sides
      07-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #76
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That make it loud again and yes add the gunshots back, but wont help the drone I want to kill.

I thought of moving the resonators from the mid pipe to a sort of cross pipe before the tips. Like remove J pipes and weld the resonator in place.

I was going to say, why not put a resonator across the back similar to the PE ?
      07-31-2017, 03:21 AM   #77
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I was going to say, why not put a resonator across the back similar to the PE ?
I was pretty keen on doing the PE mod I even bought a set of used cans do it in my own time. I can cut and weld so no big deal... problem is that I don't want any raspy sound and I've seen some people say that the PE is raspy. I know that it's common with muffler deletes. Can anyone confirm ?

Also I've been thinking that if you were to move the exhaust flap or better yet add one between the cans you could in theory have a couple of different exhaust modes at the push of a button or two...
      07-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #78
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
I was pretty keen on doing the PE mod I even bought a set of used cans do it in my own time. I can cut and weld so no big deal... problem is that I don't want any raspy sound and I've seen some people say that the PE is raspy. I know that it's common with muffler deletes. Can anyone confirm ?

Also I've been thinking that if you were to move the exhaust flap or better yet add one between the cans you could in theory have a couple of different exhaust modes at the push of a button or two...
As long as you leave one of the pipes in each muffler perforated, there shouldn't be any rasp.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #79
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

where is the video?! I want to compare it to my own which had the perforated pipe removed too... yes I know its a straight pipe essentially inside the muffler but it doesn't drone (i could be deaf)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #80
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
where is the video?! I want to compare it to my own which had the perforated pipe removed too... yes I know its a straight pipe essentially inside the muffler but it doesn't drone (i could be deaf)
Sorry, I'll see if I can have one this week
      07-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #81
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I didnt find the PE Raspy at all, I think as others have said, if it has the perforated pipes it helps.

Im really interested now to see what a resenator between a muffler delete would be like
      07-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #82
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I didnt find the PE Raspy at all, I think as others have said, if it has the perforated pipes it helps.

Im really interested now to see what a resenator between a muffler delete would be like
My guess is it'll be the same as a PE
      07-31-2017, 11:36 PM   #83
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have your secondary cats in place? I removed mine, and I get some burbling and popping now. Sounds great.

Coupe: I would replace secondary cats with two vibrant resonators. Upgrade x-pipe, then PE muffler.

The sedan has a good resonator, so I'd keep that, delete the secondary cats and install two resonators in place of the muffler. My friends 335 is setup like this and the sound is honestly amazing.

Or, you can always keep your secondary cats and get a downpipe instead.
I have an N55 coupe so there were no secondary cats in the mid pipes, I had two resonators added to quiet it down after I have a catless downpipe and Performance Muffler installed

I think the two resonators that were used are too big.

Vibrant resonators would be better I think.

What x Pipe upgrade is there? And which vibrant resonators would you recommend? What do people run?
      08-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #84
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have your secondary cats in place? I removed mine, and I get some burbling and popping now. Sounds great.

Coupe: I would replace secondary cats with two vibrant resonators. Upgrade x-pipe, then PE muffler.

The sedan has a good resonator, so I'd keep that, delete the secondary cats and install two resonators in place of the muffler. My friends 335 is setup like this and the sound is honestly amazing.

Or, you can always keep your secondary cats and get a downpipe instead.
I have an N55 coupe so there were no secondary cats in the mid pipes, I had two resonators added to quiet it down after I have a catless downpipe and Performance Muffler installed

I think the two resonators that were used are too big.

Vibrant resonators would be better I think.

What x Pipe upgrade is there? And which vibrant resonators would you recommend? What do people run?
I have an x pipe from e92 if you want it.
      08-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #85
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have an x pipe from e92 if you want it.
My car has an x pipe, just wondering about upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #86
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
My car has an x pipe, just wondering about upgrades?
I only know supersprint has one
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #87
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have heard dual vibrant 1792 resonators on a 335i coupe and the sound is good.. I feel like these resonators are nicely tuned to the exhaust note of the n54/n55. some people say the the quality of the vibrants is not the best, you can also try SLP which I have heard good things about. if your current resonators tune the sound nicely I would probably leave it the way it is, but if you think they are too restrictive then nothing wrong with getting new ones.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1792/overview/

any good quality, aftermarket stainless steel x-pipe will do. the stock one is not very great quality, replacing it with anything that just looks better and is better quality material will improve the sound a lot. just make sure not to buy some shitty one that looks similar to stock.
I think the two resonators I have now are too big and restrictive.

I'm not going to waste any more time or money or swapping in Hingis, there's an exhaust shop nearby and I've had reports from an N54 owner that they do great work, make their own mufflers and resonators and will build you a full exhaust in a day and make it sound how you want, even build multiple versions and only charge for the one you drive away with.

My mates taken 6 of his cars there including a 135i and 1M and rates them highly.

Zero drone, loud and beastly.

See how that goes in a month or two when I can get up there
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #88
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have heard dual vibrant 1792 resonators on a 335i coupe and the sound is good.. I feel like these resonators are nicely tuned to the exhaust note of the n54/n55. some people say the the quality of the vibrants is not the best, you can also try SLP which I have heard good things about. if your current resonators tune the sound nicely I would probably leave it the way it is, but if you think they are too restrictive then nothing wrong with getting new ones.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1792/overview/

any good quality, aftermarket stainless steel x-pipe will do. the stock one is not very great quality, replacing it with anything that just looks better and is better quality material will improve the sound a lot. just make sure not to buy some shitty one that looks similar to stock.
I think the two resonators I have now are too big and restrictive.

I'm not going to waste any more time or money or swapping in Hingis, there's an exhaust shop nearby and I've had reports from an N54 owner that they do great work, make their own mufflers and resonators and will build you a full exhaust in a day and make it sound how you want, even build multiple versions and only charge for the one you drive away with.

My mates taken 6 of his cars there including a 135i and 1M and rates them highly.

Zero drone, loud and beastly.

See how that goes in a month or two when I can get up there
Hingis ? And where is this exhaust shop you speak of ?