E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Manual Elitists Need To Stop Being Snobs

10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #45
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Presidential election.

Mandated health insurance reform.

Foreign countries on the brink of economic collapse and ruin.

Gas prices near $5 a gallon.

44 million people on food stamps.

Having to decide between manual or paddles.

8.1% unemployment.

Foreign diplomats the target of terrorist attacks.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Maybe harsher-than-necessary language on my part. I sorry.

Still trying to figure out your comment on my 135i though.
I was just being a jerk just forget it..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #47
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
My friend ordered an F30 Steptronic months ago, and when he went to drive my manual for kicks, he started regretting his purchase. That said, he stuck with it, since his old car was pretty much dead... and the fact that he got a new job in San Francisco.

As for me... I'd take a manual over a semi-automatic over an automatic transmission
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #48
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Google car in GTR is just faster and consistent every single run, people who drive themselves are elitest, stfu
      10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #49
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I will drive a manual transmission until I am no longer physically able to do so. The take rate on manual trannies has actually ticked up over the last few years (though still in the single digits, down from ~20% about 20yrs ago). It's genetic with me. My parents, both in their 60s, feel the exact same way. It just ain't driving without rowing your own gears. I can think of nothing more emasculating behind the wheel of a car than putting it into "D" to make it move.

The difference between a transmission in a car and things like a rotary phone vs a smartphone, a Blockbuster store vs Netflix, and film vs digital photography is that those things truly are massive time and energy savers. You can't say that dialing a rotary phone, driving to a blockbuster, or loading film takes no real thought to do or become second nature in the way that a manual trans does. I don't think about shifting gears, I just do it - it's not extra work in the way that the aforementioned are. You really don't save any actual time by driving an automatic and the only thing you're really cutting down on is some of the emotional connection to the car and, to many, the enjoyment and soul of driving. Driving is not just about the speed and ease of use. To most of us, it's a passion, it's engaging. Automatic transmissions... the blow-up doll of the automotive world. Sure, it cuts out some of the work, but it just doesn't feel as good as the real thing.
+1 well said sir
Appreciate 0