E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Vague Steering at Motorway speed with Winter Tyres

12-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
andrew0871
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 20i

Vague Steering at Motorway speed with Winter Tyres

Hi

I have noticed a very ‘floaty’ / vague steering response with steering dead centre, but only on the motorway, since I fitted my winter tyres.

If I change lanes quicker than normal the steering firms up and you get some perceptible feedback (and confidence) from the tyres – it’s just dead ahead that the car will tend to drift. Perhaps drift is too strong a word, but I find myself having to constantly correct the line which was never an issue with my PS3’s I had previously.

I’ve not noticed any tramlining and I have tried various pressures upwards from the minimum shown on the door stop. The experience is the same regardless of road condition / temperature.

I’m running Nokian WRG2 225/40/18 front and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 255/35/18 rear – the tyres have now covered over 1000 miles so they are bedded in.

Non motorway driving and cornering they are fine, very good in the recent snow and ice.

I’m guessing it’s just the tread compound and/or pattern, just interested to know if anyone has experienced the same or has any recommendations for a cure.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

I get the same with my Vreds. As you say, drift is probably too harsh a description.

I'm more aware of it through roadworks with narrower lanes.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Same here with the Vreds, only at 'high ' ish motorway speeds and nothing to really complain about, just not as precise as before.

I put it down to the deeper cuts in the tread and more movement in the rubber 'blocks'
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

So you're expecting summer tyre performance at motorway speeds and winter tyre performance in snow and ice?

Should you find such a tyre please let us all know.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
So you're expecting summer tyre performance at motorway speeds and winter tyre performance in snow and ice?

Should you find such a tyre please let us all know.
None of us stated that we were expecting summer tyre performance???

Andrew stated that he had noticed it, and asked if others had a similar experience.

I think common sense says that no tyre could exist but if it could be helped by maybe tyre pressures or similar, it would be good to share the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Definitely true. The steering is lighter as there is slightly less grip to the road in dry conditions than you are used to. The more rotations per minute the wheels do, the more you notice this.

Not enough to worry me though. The first day or two being fitted it is noticable, but then you adapt. And won't notice it again until you are back on the summers
      12-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
It's exactly as what's been mentioned. When I had some on once I experianced it also!
      12-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I still got my summer shitty RFT brigetstones on.....everything is terrible....

so I guess can't be that bad with winter tyres on....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

The el-cheapo Falkens are doing well on road/track/snow/ice/slow/fast.

I dont see a need to try anything else
      12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post

falkens 452 ?...will be moving to them for my next set...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:

Really, mine are right biatches!

Makes for a lot of fun though

I suppose I should consider winter tyres, but I don't know anything about them, where to get them and whether they'll help with grip

Is it true that winter tyres would get a BMW to the top of Mt Snowdon?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
RFT brigetstones on.....everything is terrible....

so I guess can't be that bad with winter tyres on....
Nothing is as bad as these at anything, ever
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

I note your 'smile' so obviously you are not being serious.

I run the Falken 452 and no way are they any good in snow and ice, virtually no traction and definitely not any real braking.

I've had a chance to compare the Falken and Vredestein winter tyres on the exact same piece of road, (same conditions exactly) just a couple of hours apart and the difference is outstanding. A 'back to back' test is the best way to evaluate the real performance. From a car that you have to drive very gingerly, to a car that is sure footed with very impressive traction and braking ability.

Driving the 330d in heavy snow on the winter tyres last evening, another BMW (E92) was having a right time, at about 5 - 10 mph, slipping and sliding, wheels locking up at the traffic lights. Pleased he turned the other direction. Out on the open and empty road through the glen, 40 + mph was easy driving, planted feeling, not one twitch, could accelerate and brake with confidence. No traction control light flickering, even when provoking it, (in moderation of course).

BTW, the Falken's are stored in the shed for next spring. Best place I believe.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

I got the Vred Wintracs put on my car this week and I have to say that although the ride is a little more supple (going from 19's with Conti 5Ps) the steering has lost a lot of feel and precision and seems to 'glide' round corners instead of biting. There seems to be that dead ahead feel too.

I have to be honest that I half expected it though as the Vreds have those annoying long pieces of rubber spaghetti (never seen tyres with so many!) spread right across the tread of the tyre so until they go and the releasing agent diassapears I expect the experience to be the same.

Its not been icy and we've not seen any snow where I am to see whether this winter tyre malarky is all its been made out to be. I await with a £700 baited breath!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

I've gone from 17" (8"/8.5") Falken 452 summer, to 17" (8"/8") Vredestein Wintrac winter, so more an honest comparison for ride, handling and steering feel. I got a chance to run the Vred's on tarmac down through the glen before the snow came in heavy, and I'd say the ride comfort is very similar to the Falken on a hot day. The only slight diffference is the softer steering feel, still precise and no wanders. But I don't like 'in your face' steering response, roads are too bad up here for go-kart style responses.

We do need to play with tyre pressures. Remember it is recommended that winter tyres are run at a slighly higher pressure, than a similar summer size. Tirerack suggest about 3 - 5 psi. So worth playing a little with pressures for the given size.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=168

Peter
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
....Its not been icy and we've not seen any snow where I am to see whether this winter tyre malarky is all its been made out to be. I await with a £700 baited breath!
I've spent just under the £700 as well, but after driving last evening on the Vred's in snow and slush, I can definitely say that it is the best £700 I've spent on a car. I 'almost' want to go out on the snow, just to enjoy the amazing way the car is transformed.

In addition to the earlier post on the experience last evening, the dead end road/lane outside my house was lethal yesterday morning, light snow on ice, I could hardly stand on it and the car had virtually no traction and certainly no braking. I came back home on the Vred's and played a bit on that same lethal surface. The traction was unbelievable and the degree of braking without ABS kicking in was impressive. Gave me great confidence for when I went out later, on the real stuff.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Right - winter tyres work and that's official!

I have no experience of winter Tyres but these Vreds are awesome, snow, slush, ice crunchingly brilliant. I went to work with no snow present an by the end of the night there was a foot of snow with hardly any gritters out. The focus on summer Tyres i use at work was struggling and it's generally been very good in snow so when I defrosted the car I did so worrying I wouldn't get home. I shouldn't have worried as the Vreds pulled me out of the car park with ease, up a hill full of snow without any traction control or abs kicking in they were amazing. By the end of te journey home I was taking corners faster than I ever imagined and was being held up by cars that were laughing at me three weeks ago. When I was parking up at home all I heard three weeks ago was wheels spinning an expensive continental rubber wearing away, today I could hear the Tyres crunching and biting into the snow it was awesome what the car could now do with the right equipment.

Night and day difference. Thumbs up for the Vreds!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
Its not been icy and we've not seen any snow where I am to see whether this winter tyre malarky is all its been made out to be. I await with a £700 baited breath!

Right - winter tyres work and that's official!

Night and day difference. Thumbs up for the Vreds!
I sense a big cheesy grin on your face.

Worth the money....? As it shouldn't cost us much more per mile, long term, I'd say a resounding yes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

A cheesy grin and a sense of amazement at what these tyres could make my once useless car do.

People at work laughed at me when my car was stuck at home unable to move out of the spot it was parked in. They continued to laugh when I asked them for lifts into work and then positively wet themselves and said I was mad when I said I'd paid £700 for winter tyres. As I defrosted my car and breezed past them on the journey home I think I was the one laughing!

Decision vindicated
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I second that. My first shot at winter tyres this year and I am absolutely converted. I have no concern at all about getting stuck and seem to be doing even better than smug 4x4 drivers. The only real problem is all the other people on the road without them.

The highway code seems to have completely broken down and people appear to think that it is OK to trundle out of a side road directly in your path, provided that they are going really really slowly.

Everyone seems to have stopped giving way, because they are concerned about getting going again if they stop. Then when they do start to move off in front of you they max out at 15-20mph.

I've been deliberately using the least clear back roads and parking at the far end of car parks where there is virgin snow. The winter tyres seem absolutely unstoppable. I even managed a very steep incline on a country lane the other day.

Oh .. and they were spot on at motorway speeds before the snow hit as well. Managed to do a 300 mile journey which seems to have scrubbed them in nicely.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #21
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I second that. My first shot at winter tyres this year and I am absolutely converted. I have no concern at all about getting stuck and seem to be doing even better than smug 4x4 drivers. The only real problem is all the other people on the road without them.

The highway code seems to have completely broken down and people appear to think that it is OK to trundle out of a side road directly in your path, provided that they are going really really slowly.

Everyone seems to have stopped giving way, because they are concerned about getting going again if they stop. Then when they do start to move off in front of you they max out at 15-20mph.

I've been deliberately using the least clear back roads and parking at the far end of car parks where there is virgin snow. The winter tyres seem absolutely unstoppable. I even managed a very steep incline on a country lane the other day.

Oh .. and they were spot on at motorway speeds before the snow hit as well. Managed to do a 300 mile journey which seems to have scrubbed them in nicely.
Hi NFS,

What winter rubber are you using? My 335i Touring transformed also with some Avon Ice Tourings. Like you I am a convert...even the wife is impressed.
      12-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I agree NFS!! We had some C*** jump a red light to the side of
us. Lucky we were not in his path.