E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb/JB4/MHD

05-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Cobb/JB4/MHD

Hi

I have a 2006 335i and keep hearing about these products.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion, however what's the best of the bunch and are they all safe without any other modifications?

Why would you pick this over a mapper...mapping the car?

From what I understand the MHD is the easier one to use as you do it off a phone?!?

I'm not fussed about ease, just a safe way to get more power.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I went with MHD , loving it and especially the level of communication from MHD and others on this forum , tons of support and looks like more to come in the future fom this platform. I am an Apple guy so had to buy and android device along with the cables and MHD application and maps so for me cost was about equal to a used Cobb as prices on Cobbs are dropping like presidential candidates.
All the best any way you go also heed the warnings about getting you car fully serviced prior to flashing.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers

Get it fully serviced before hand just to be safe right?

Any android based deivise will be able to run this then right?

Any idea what power gains you got and is it pretty simple for a fool like me to operate?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Could you also start a "which intercooler is best" thread by chance? It would be a big benefit to the community.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

MHD

/thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Follow up with a "Which Oil should I Use?" thread as well...

This topic has been beaten to death, brought back to life, then beaten to death again more times than most people have replaced their HPFP.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

I've just replaced my fuel pump so don't need to know anything more about that.

I wouldn't mind knowing what intercooler is best though?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshock nick View Post
I've just replaced my fuel pump so don't need to know anything more about that.

I wouldn't mind knowing what intercooler is best though?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Yes any tune will expose weaknesses, Why chase them down aFter you get fault codes post tune and get yourself nervous about what you did. Play it safe pluss your car should be kept up anyway so just do it. Plugs, coils and walnut blast at a minimum. I have not done any Dyno but I can assure you the seat of your pants Dyno will put a smile on your face.
android device must be On The Go compatable. Easy install instructions on forum.
But the guy above me is just saying this is well covered in the 5000 pluss posts specific to MHD and the other thousands of posts on Cobb and JB. Gonna get a lot of heat here from the regulars when you ask questions that have been ansewerd multiple times already.
Take the time to read the posts , they will answer all of your questions and inspire a few others.
Keep the shiny side up.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Could you also start a "which intercooler is best" thread by chance? It would be a big benefit to the community.
OP, this topic has been gone over and over.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

From what I gather so far it's like this in my amateur opinion -

MHD - cheap, need android device, newest so not as reliable as cobb most likely, easy install
COBB - reliable (COBB is a known respected brand for other parts too), easy install
Jb4 - requires opening the ecu box to plug stuff in if you're comfortable with that

Last edited by ssdara; 05-19-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As mentioned OP, this topic has been discussed to death on here just use the search function

This thread will either be ignore or turn into a tuner war .. Both scenarios will not help you get any closer to your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdara View Post
From what I gather so far it's like this in my amateur opinion -

MHD - cheap, need android device, newest so not as reliable as cobb most likely, easy install
COBB - reliable (COBB is a known respected brand for other parts too), easy install
JB4 - not a real flash, hard install, just tricks computer into doing things, probably more for hardcore users that want to control extra parameters
Unfortunately you are completely off with your comparison

You need to do more research about the Jb4

JB4 does not just trick the ECU to make more power, thats the JB+
Jb4 is a real tune that has access to a lot more .. It can also monitor timing and change AFR
Just because it has a lot of features does not mean it is only meant for hardcore users ... You can install it and leave it on the default map and get all the power you need

If you have more mods and want to get a more aggressive map, you can use your phone or tablet to change your map .. Just like MHD or Cobb

Phone number 702-494-9435

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 05-19-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
csu87
Banned
Rep

Here's probably the best breakdown of these and I bet it will help some of these guys in here.

COBB - for people who arent able to do a simple search
MHD - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont have time to read
JB4 - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont want to spend $50 on an android device.
JB4 + MHD - for people who arent lazy.

based on this, OP get a COBB
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
As mentioned OP, this topic has been discussed to death on here just use the search function

This thread will either be ignore or turn into a tuner war .. Both scenarios will not help you get any closer to your answer

Jb4 is a real tune that has access to a lot more .. It can also monitor and change timing and AFR
Just because it has a lot of features does not mean it is only meant for hardcore users ... You can install it and leave it on the default map and get all the power you need

If you have more mods and want to get a more aggressive map, you can use your phone or tablet to change your map .. Just like MHD or Cobb
Thanks, I edited my post I've read a lot of threads myself and guess I still don't know the differences, which is why posts like these are still useful. The reason why old threads don't help is because they're usually advanced tuners discussing the tune, leaving beginners in the dust. Also, when researching various topics, you come across threads like this with people flaming the OP for asking a question, thus repeating the cycle.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Here's probably the best breakdown of these and I bet it will help some of these guys in here.

COBB - for people who arent able to do a simple search
MHD - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont have time to read
JB4 - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont want to spend $50 on an android device.
JB4 + MHD - for people who arent lazy.

based on this, OP get a COBB
*deaded*
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I edited my post I've read a lot of threads myself and guess I still don't know the differences, which is why posts like these are still useful. The reason why old threads don't help is because they're usually advanced tuners discussing the tune, leaving beginners in the dust. Also, when researching various topics, you come across threads like this with people flaming the OP for asking a question, thus repeating the cycle.
not to be a dick but...
https://www.google.com/search?q=jb4+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

1st link...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
not to be a dick but...
https://www.google.com/search?q=jb4+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

1st link...
So couple of things:

1)That was August 2015, it is May 2016, things could have changed in that time.
2)He didn't explain pros/cons between COBB and MHD

I for one was looking forward to a good discussion between cobb and mhd in this thread as of May 2016.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Jb4 is a real tune that has access to a lot more .. It can also monitor and change timing and AFR

If you sell a product you should probably know more about it yourself

JB4 is a piggyback. therefore it tricks the DME into doing things. JB4 alone, it does NOT control timing i believe the G5 can retard, but thats it.. it can log timing but it does not fully control timing. how does it retard timing? it manipulates a signal (tricks)

How does it adjust fueling? by manipulating the HPFP sensor signal (TRICKING) to get the DME to see a different fuel mass thus adjust fuel.

It works, but its not ideal and is still a piggyback. If it adjusted timing and everything else properly which is doesnt (typical of piggybacks, work but not ideal) there would not be a NEED for a BEF.

Flash and Standalone tuning are the BEST most ideal way to calibrate a car. when thats not available the Piggyback will suffice. Been that way for years and nothing is different now. JB4 is fine, but lets not make it something its not because you have financial ties to it.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So couple of things:

1)That was August 2015, it is May 2016, things could have changed in that time.
2)He didn't explain pros/cons between COBB and MHD

I for one was looking forward to a good discussion between cobb and mhd in this thread as of May 2016.
COBB hasnt changed in years. They stopped development for the N54. Google MHD vs COBB if you want those comparisons. There are plenty out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
Flash and Standalone tuning are the BEST most ideal way to calibrate a car. when thats not available the Piggyback will suffice. Been that way for years and nothing is different now. JB4 is fine, but lets not make it something its not because you have financial ties to it.
I have always preferred flash + piggyback unless im running a full standalone. There are thing that the JB4 incorporates that flash only can not; notably PI/Meth integration and Flex Fuel sensors among lots of other features (these are the only ones ive used).
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
If you sell a product you should probably know more about it yourself

JB4 is a piggyback. therefore it tricks the DME into doing things. JB4 alone, it does NOT control timing. it can log timing but it does not control timing. In fact it relies on the DME to pull timing in the event of a knock situation.

How does it adjust fueling? by manipulating the HPFP sensor signal (TRICKING) to get the DME to see a different fuel mass thus adjust fuel.

It works, but its not ideal and is still a piggyback. If it adjusted timing and everything else properly which is doesnt (typical of piggybacks, work but not ideal) there would not be a NEED for a BEF.

I said JB4 does not just trick the ECU and add boost, it does other things

You replied and said you are wrong the JB4 adjusts boost and also tricks the ECU to adjust fueling

So basically you proved me right that JB4 does more than just trick the ECU to add boost blindly

Whether it is the best tune or not is a different subject and will depend on the customer and what they are looking for

Post of my post is to say Jb4 is not a stage 1 tune that adds boost blindly and just hope for the best. It is a complete tune that can monitor all the important variable and can adjust a few

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
COBB hasnt changed in years. They stopped development for the N54. Google MHD vs COBB if you want those comparisons. There are plenty out there.

I have always preferred flash + piggyback unless im running a full standalone. There are thing that the JB4 incorporates that flash only can not; notably PI/Meth integration and Flex Fuel sensors among lots of other features (these are the only ones ive used).
yes, agreed.... there are definitely things that a piggyback can add on top of a flash that can't be done via flash (or would take lots of custom work to do). Will never argue that.
Appreciate 0