E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Smooth brakes on 335i --- Sticky brakes on 330i?

12-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Smooth brakes on 335i --- Sticky brakes on 330i?

Two days ago I test drove a 335i Coupe. One thing I noticed was when I was at a stoplight I could inch forward and stop with ever so slight pressure on the break pedal and I could do it as such that I there would be no jerking of the car body whatsoever. If you weren't looking out the window you'd never even know the car had moved.

Now on my 330i, if I try to do that and release the brakes extremely slowly I'll get a sound from them that sounds like the brakes are sticking a little bit. But here's the thing: I tried doing it in reverse and I can achieve the same braking action as on the 335i---totally smooth. This makes me think that the sticky brake in a software issue and is probably related to the start-off assistant---why the hell is that on an automatic trans to being with?

Anyone experienced this as well? Seems like software could fix the whole thing. I go in for a software update on Tuesday for my iPod integration kit I just installed yesterday that I guess I hope fixes the problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

So does anyone know why start-off assistant is on a automatic car because I think that's the issue? Start-off assistant is software, right? If it is, couldn't a software update rid my car of the feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I would hope so cause its very annoying.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

My 335i, though still new to me so it does not yet feel 2nd nature, still seems to exhibit the "sticky" brake phenom. I thought it might be brake-assist related? I'm inching along and then all of a sudden the brakes tend to grab with barely any more pressure on the brake pedal... with practice I'm getting more used to it, I'm down to only at pulling into my garage speeds does this happen on occasion, but I've never had this long a learning curve before to be perfect...

The brake pads are also still be bedded in, so perhaps in my case that's part of the equation? <600 miles and 400 of them was 1 long trip!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

I had the same issue with my 330. After bedding in the brakes, the issue is gone and the brakes are more consistent and are now easily modulated at any speed.

I did 8 HARD 'almost stops' from 60 mph to 10 mph to bed them in. You don't want to hit the ABS, but stay just shy of it. Once you hit 10 mph immediately accelerate back up to 60 and repeat. What you're doing is building up heat in the pads and rotors so that the pads transfer material to the rotor surface. At the end of 8 'stops' you should notice moderate brake fade... this is the signal you've done it correctly. Once you experience fade, you're done... stop and let the brakes cool down. When you look at the rotors after you finish they should have a slight blue-ish tint to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
So does anyone know why start-off assistant is on a automatic car because I think that's the issue? Start-off assistant is software, right? If it is, couldn't a software update rid my car of the feature?
Who the hell knows why they put Start off assistant on the auto tranny cars. This very thing has been annoying me since day one. You can actually deactivate it BTW by pulling up a little on the hand brake. While not useful on the roadway, it does come in handy when parking.

Oh, and AFAIK, there's no software update to get rid of it. Wish there was though, as it's a totally useless and indeed aggrevating 'feature' on an automatic car.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce'06 330i
I had the same issue with my 330. After bedding in the brakes, the issue is gone and the brakes are more consistent and are now easily modulated at any speed.

I did 8 HARD 'almost stops' from 60 mph to 10 mph to bed them in. You don't want to hit the ABS, but stay just shy of it. Once you hit 10 mph immediately accelerate back up to 60 and repeat. What you're doing is building up heat in the pads and rotors so that the pads transfer material to the rotor surface. At the end of 8 'stops' you should notice moderate brake fade... this is the signal you've done it correctly. Once you experience fade, you're done... stop and let the brakes cool down. When you look at the rotors after you finish they should have a slight blue-ish tint to them.
Thanks for the confirm on my bedding suspicion, and I'll definitely bed the brakes hard next chance I get. I just cleaned the wheels lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce'06 330i

I was going to do this the day I took delivery on my 330i. But before I left the BMW Performance Center I asked one of the driving instructors, who was a professional race car driver for 10 or something years, whether I should bed in the brakes. I even showed him a document I printed out. He told me that it's not needed because the brakes on the E90 are not high performance brakes. So I didn't do it.

Regardless, can you bed in the brakes at any time? Even after 3500 miles? Aren't they bedded in already from regular driving?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I was going to do this the day I took delivery on my 330i. But before I left the BMW Performance Center I asked one of the driving instructors, who was a professional race car driver for 10 or something years, whether I should bed in the brakes. I even showed him a document I printed out. He told me that it's not needed because the brakes on the E90 are not high performance brakes. So I didn't do it.

Regardless, can you bed in the brakes at any time? Even after 3500 miles? Aren't they bedded in already from regular driving?
I didn't think they would need it either, but it made a difference in mine... night and day difference. My car has 18k on the odometer, so I think you can do this at any time. Only thing I can figure is these brakes get a film build up on the pads and/or rotors unless they are properly heated up from time to time. Keep in mind I'm no expert!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
RGB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering

I like very much the "grabby" brakes of my 325i. Thay make me feel sure about them, and I don't care about their noises and abrupt stop/go characteristics.
I LOVE MY BRAKES!
      02-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
This is one of the reasons why I love the front Brembos. The car stops smoothly now.

When I took my car in to have the rear bumper fixed after the hit & run, I rented a Mercedes C230. Over a month later, I got my car back and had to relearn how to stop again. Still, I had to attenuate the pedal pressure as the brakes started to grab to stop more smoothly.
      02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

this happens on the 335i sometimes too, it deends on the slope of the hill, and u look more like a fool since you can't get traction anywhere lol

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0