E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watch pros

09-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #45
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

1. herf
2. derf
3. adflakjdf;lkjadsf
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #46
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfuzz View Post
I had no idea I would incite such venom with this post.

Thank you to those that shared suggestions.

With regard to my needs:

I'm looking for a nice daily. I work in banking, so an interesting time piece is a cool conversation starter.

I like Tags, but was thinking of something outside the box.

Breitlings are common around me, so the style does nothing for me.
Go to www.swissluxury.com and start looking around.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #47
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you really want an outside the box conversation starter, maybe something like this...

or maybe this...

In all seriousness, I really like this idea, with an e-ink face...

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #48
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

This might also help out as well;

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/7...et-thread.html

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/5...ay-thread.html
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #49
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Cheers, Mp0wer. Here's my $5500 time piece (it's the little bump next the the stem)

It's a highly precise German brand- VDO. It'll keep time to within about a minute per year, and will run for several years with no winding up or battery changes. It tracks time, elapsed time, mileage, speed, average speed, total distance, trip distance, and temperature. Distance is measured via a special radio transmitter. For a band, it's attached to a 5 pound mandrel-formed unidirectional carbon fiber frame with 100mm of travel. It has 29" carbon fiber tubeless wheels with the strength of downhill wheels and the weight of cross country wheels. It has dual hydraulic disc brakes, a 30-speed drivetrain, and a super-percise fork, adjustable from 95 to 120mm of travel. It's built to take a lot of punishment, and still comes in at 26 pounds even. It's quite a time piece, much better looking and far more entertaining than most others I've seen
Gotta love those high end straps! While my strap is a bit heavier it has severial of the same features.
      09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #50
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I think your looking a little too deep into this. All I'm saying that in both cases, there are cheaper ways to get the job done. But that it's the subjective and sometimes intangible qualities that we spend more for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
The Timex with quartz will tell time BETTER than any mechanical movement based watch, and will offer just as many amenities and features. The only difference is they are sometimes less stylish and, if you cracked it open, it would look different inside. It would be like if the Camry had Ferrari level performance and 7-series appointments, but you bought a limited production vehicle that looked like a Bently but performed like a Tata Nano, but did it with a really unique and interesting, if a bit old fashioned, engine.

Enjoyment? Uhh...you could drive the hell out of your car, but you aren't going to tell the hell out of the time. As far as luxury/feel...the less I feel, the better. Luxury cars are only notable in their elimination of discomfort. The less you notice, the better. Light weight and a comfortable band are the biggest factors for feel, and Timex usually wins there, too. I'm sure the high-end watch has much nicer buttons though. I wonder if one day people will have 1990 style analog phones, but built with the finest craftsmenship...great wood and metal...hand-made lead acid battery, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #51
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
You came out of the gates with "You're just an ignorant fool." I am not saying Seiko is bad not the intent of my comment at all.
Really? Let's take a closer look at what you said first:
Quote:
Tag watches basically suck.. Really...Because there movements are total junk.. I mean like $20 mass produced junk.
I have never owned a Tag nor would I. That's the funny thing about that brand, or it's at least my suspicion, over 99% of the people that wear one on their wrist basically know nothing about them.
Gee, that's not too inflammatory, huh? And then you said:
Quote:
You are obviously a TAG owner.. It's OK, I understand we all have to start somewhere.
I am sure there have been many times you have made the comment about how similar the BMW 128i is to the M3, it's ok to be mislead, but it's not OK to call someone ignorant who you don't know.
While I know this is going to sting a but, it will set you free.. Nothing inferior like a Tag or a 128 will ever be high end like you want it to be just because of the rhetoric you speak.
If I make a proper response to this, I'll get banned. Let's just say that I'd like you to stay the hell away from me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #52
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Gee, that's not too inflammatory, huh?
Sure it was pretty inflammatory, I can see how the folks at TAG could be mad at me for saying it, but it had nothing to do with you.. Your use of "You ignorant fool", had everything to do with me... But again, I acquiesce, the following exchange was a pointless response to your personal comments directly about me. I was goaded by you and that's my fault for letting it happen..

You're welcome to continue merge, edit, and spin my previous posts together however you see fit to make your point, I cannot say much else. My response was unnecessary, and to that I have submitted. No matter how irrelevant, my opinion of TAG still stands. And Sir, my opinion with regards to a specific brand of watches has nothing to do with you, despite your efforts to make it personal...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #53
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

^OK, I don't mean to be rude but nobody cares about your negative opinion towards TAG Heuer.

How about giving a knowledgeable suggestion to the OP instead of trolling his thread with your juvenile nonsense?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #54
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfuzz View Post
I had no idea I would incite such venom with this post.

Thank you to those that shared suggestions.

With regard to my needs:

I'm looking for a nice daily. I work in banking, so an interesting time piece is a cool conversation starter.

I like Tags, but was thinking of something outside the box.

Breitlings are common around me, so the style does nothing for me.
Your question should not have incited anything but helpful responses. Between the brand haters, the fine timepiece haters, and the non-high-end haters, you got an inordinate amount of non-advice. Call it "forum syndrome". I mean, I have no interest in modding my car, but I would never crash a modding forum. What for?

To fine tune suggestions for your needs, I'd look at watches with unconventional timekeeping indicators. Regulators, watches with a date dial, sub seconds dials, and the like. Look at Oris, Fortis, Zeno, or Ulysse Nardin, or even Hamilton. A good idea is to narrow down to a style, like a diver, pilot, or chrono. Happy searching.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #55
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Oris here but my daily is a Victorinox Chrono Classic which I adore. Retails for $825, paid $300 on o.co and regularly receive compliments. My Oris is a skeleton which looks about as steam punk as it gets but goes nicely with a suit.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #56
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Omega or a tag
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #57
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
wow.. one can learn a lot for a countries culture even in a car forum...
      09-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
wow.. one can learn a lot for a countries culture even in a car forum...
Please don't assume that the people on this forum are a fair representation of our country as a whole... there are over 300,000,000 of us.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Please don't assume that the people on this forum are a fair representation of our country as a whole... there are over 300,000,000 of us.
no dont get me wrong i dont judge people this easy but this thread is something else..

i dont know the financial situation of the OP but, if you are very wealthy then you dont set a budget and you buy what you like.
if you are not that wealthy and you saved for a 3000$ watch just for social status , just to show that you can buy it, then dont. i mean come on a watch is a watch. all this crap about not missing a second etc. we all know is hypocritical.. it comes down to just being jewellery something to show off to your friends.. a 500$ watch is perfectly fine..

my opinion find a 500$ watch that suits you and go on a trip with the rest.. you will enjoy your trip much more..
      09-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #60
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
no dont get me wrong i dont judge people this easy but this thread is something else..

i dont know the financial situation of the OP but, if you are very wealthy then you dont set a budget and you buy what you like.
if you are not that wealthy and you saved for a 3000$ watch just for social status , just to show that you can buy it, then dont. i mean come on a watch is a watch. all this crap about not missing a second etc. we all know is hypocritical.. it comes down to just being jewellery something to show off to your friends.. a 500$ watch is perfectly fine..

my opinion find a 500$ watch that suits you and go on a trip with the rest.. you will enjoy your trip much more..
So I can start to judge people from Cyprus based on this nonsense? There is a hell of a difference between a $500 and $3k watch. Will the latter tell time 500% better more than the former? Not at all. But if that's all you want, spend $20 on a Timex and be done with it. You alluded to it yourself, it's a piece of jewelry, albeit one that serves a purpose. Like all jewelry, you get what you pay for, and while a watch inherently exists to tell you the time, 3k will get you much further than 500 in terms of design, quality, and "exclusivity" if those are things you're interested in.

Additionally, this thread isn't called "I have $3k to spend, should I buy a watch?" It's not, "I want a watch, how much should I spend on it?" OP has a budget of $3k, and whether he's worth 100bil or 100k, the mere act of setting a budget for oneself implies nothing further into their financial situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #61
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Pending Order

Garage List
I have always been a fan of Movados. I bought mine a few years but fromt he general consesus they have started catering to the lower end of the spectrum alot more the last few years.
Pending- Something New and BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #62
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Ill sell you my movado 800 series
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #63
jpsum
Major