E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Hello/Job Related Help

04-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Bavarian Made
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

Hello/Job Related Help

Hello everyone, this is my first actual post to this forum. I have been a guest to this site for a little while now and I finally decided to make an account, especially since I will be purchasing a 335 soon. My previous two cars have been an Audi S4 and a CTS-V. I have since sold both of those cars and have been in pursuit of a clean 335 with manual.

Now to the work question. I just recently got a new job at a bank and my start date is the 30th. I am also going to school full time in the summer and fall to finish my degree. I took a few years off out of high school to help out my parents, and I finally get to finish my schooling this year. The problem I ran into is that all my previous classes have been scheduled at night, but since I will be graduating soon, I don't have many options for different times for many of my classes because their are so little of them available. When my work asked me about my school schedule, I told them it wouldn't conflict work at all. The bank is open 9-4:30, and most my class will be schedules at 6. Now the sticky part is that starting the 7th, I have 2 days a week where my schedule for school would force me to be off by 2 o'clock.

My question is: Should I wait for my start date to tell my boss, or should I go in and speak with her and let her know next week before I start. I am afraid to lose my job over this, but it is an honest misunderstanding with my school schedule and I don't want them to think I lied to get the job.

Cliff notes: Tell my boss before or after my first day of work about needing to be off 2 hours early 2 days a week for the first 2 months of my new job. I start the 30th, and I am worried to lose my job before I even start. They asked me when I got hired about school schedule and I told them it wouldn't conflict. What do I do?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
ed1981
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

One way or another you will have to tell her. I would just tell her up front prior to starting. It's not like if you started and tell her, then your job is safe.

My friend, a long time ago, worked for a bank when he was going to school. He had to adjust his schedule, so he told his supervisor during his first week. The supervisor just let him go that same evening. Oh well, its not like he was going to choose a "job" over finishing his degree anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I think its better to be up front as soon as you know, explain the scheduling mistake and how you honestly thought there was no conflict if true.

Then if the job is really important, I'd say you should ask if there is any way you could make up for that lost time by doing a shift nobody likes, or in some way taking something on that people would prefer not to do to show you are genuine.

May still be let go, but at least you were honest and you came to them as soon as you knew.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Bavarian Made
Private
United_States
Rep

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I think I am going to give her a call on monday and see if I can come in and speak with her. I feel like it is a better idea to tell her in person versus on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Bavarian Made
Private
United_States
Rep

What is a good way to approach it in which I let her know that it was a last minute change? I don't want to be all discombobulated and stuff.
Appreciate 0