E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > **The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread**

10-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

**The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread**

Just a few hours away from the unveiling!! Anyone else getting this as their next phone?!

to watch the live stream:
www.youtube.com/android

Rumored specs:
- 4.65-inch, 1280x720P Super AMOLED HD screen
- dual-core 1.2 or 1.5GHz Processor
- dual-core GPU from Imagination (the PowerVR SGX543MP2)
- 5 or 8-megapixel, full 1080p HD video-shooting camera with improved sensor
- 1750 or 2050mAh battery that would last 2 days without charging
- LTE-enabled, dual-mode GSM/CDMA radio

Leaked Picture:

Last edited by BMWPower06; 10-18-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

it's on my want list. looking forward to seeing the hard specs for this device
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

1 hour, 2 replies (including mine) and 5 views......

Certainly not a "you know what" phone....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

You sir are correct, it is better than a "you know what" phone
      10-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Excited to see it
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

sounds like a typical tuesday in OT
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

damn.. I just got a galaxy s2...time to eBay this thing?
      10-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Ooo lawdy. Just in time for my new-every-two
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I bought the SG2 and I love it but I hardly see this new Nexus being a better phone in a more useful way. What exactly will this phone allow us to do that current phones can't... the answer is almost nothing. Hardware upgrades aren't everything, software updates and increased usefulness and ease of use of the OS is, and this is why the Iphone is king. I hope this ICS does a lot for Android but at the same time, that will be a system that one can load on older phone as if to do a software update. The Iphone is the same phone with minor updates here and there but massive improvements in the OS with each iteration and this is why it is wildly successful. This is what android developers need to work on, as I think the OS still a bit cluttered compared to IOS.

The best and I mean absolute best hardware update would be if someone came up with a battery that can last 24 hrs with relatively heavy use... The rumored battery in this new phone still has to be proven. That would be something I would definitely buy a new phone for.
      10-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I bought the SG2 and I love it but I hardly see this new Nexus being a better phone in a more useful way. What exactly will this phone allow us to do that current phones can't... the answer is almost nothing. Hardware upgrades aren't everything, software updates and increased usefulness and ease of use of the OS is, and this is why the Iphone is king. I hope this ICS does a lot for Android but at the same time, that will be a system that one can load on older phone as if to do a software update. The Iphone is the same phone with minor updates here and there but massive improvements in the OS with each iteration and this is why it is wildly successful. This is what android developers need to work on, as I think the OS still a bit cluttered compared to IOS.
PS: This new Nexus Prime is going to be the first phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

And please enlighten me on what changed in iOS 5 that didn't come from Android (notifications) or Blackberry (iMessenger aka BBM).

Can't wait for the announcement...with the right specs it will be my next phone

Edit: Galaxy Nexus:
Quote:
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream
- 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED Screen with 720p resolution
- 1.2GHz dual-core processor
- Redsigned UI in Android 4.0
- Improved multi-tasking, notifications, Wi-Fi hotspot, NF support, full web browsing
- Android 4.0 features Software Navigation buttons – brand new
- People App with Google+ Integration among other features
- Redesigned camera with panorama mode, 1080p video, zero-shutter lag, silly faces and background replacement features
- Face Unlock: Facial recognition to unlock your phone! BOOM that just happened.
- Android Beam uses NFC to easily share content with other Android users with the bump of phones

PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE
- All the Google Apps you love from Android Market and GMail to Movie Studio and redesigned Google+ app
- 8.94mm thick, 4.29mm bezel
- LTE and HSPA+ connectivity
- Available in USA, Europe, and Asia beginning in November and then rolled out globally

Last edited by cloakster; 10-18-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
PS: This new Nexus Prime is going to be the first phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

And please enlighten me on what changed in iOS 5 that didn't come from Android (notifications) or Blackberry (iMessenger aka BBM).

Can't wait for the announcement...with the right specs it will be my next phone

Edit: Galaxy Nexus:
Siri is the big one and before you say android phones have been doing that all along... not quite, it can't do all of that. When u say Ice Cream Sandwich, I say I can install that on my SG2 within due time as well. The difference being that Iphones made use of their newer hardware with each new iteration, the Android phones not as much. A lot of folks claim that the OS isn't even optimized for dual core processors... if this new one is, then so be it, I can install on my old phone and have it work just as well because the specs are more than good enough already.
      10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Samsung and Google finally took the wraps off their latest joint effort, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it’s a screamer. The phone is just under 7mm at its slimmest point, and it runs Google’s brand new version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. The phone’s key specifications match up exactly with what we’ve reported previously, including a dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, a 5-megapixel camera with enhancements, a 4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD display with curved glass face, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of built-in storage, NFC, a 1,750 mAh battery and plenty more. The phone will initially be available as an exclusive on Verizon Wireless in the U.S., 4G LTE in tow, and in other parts of the world it will feature HSPA+ in a pentaband configuration.. The handset will launch in November, and you can check out a video feed from the Galaxy Nexus unveiling event on Google’s Android channel. With Motorola’s incredible DROID RAZR announcement earlier, we have to ask… Motorola DROID RAZR or Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/18/samsun...-lte-versions/
      10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

why... curved.

gonna break in pocket
      10-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Samsung and Google finally took the wraps off their latest joint effort, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it’s a screamer. The phone is just under 7mm at its slimmest point, and it runs Google’s brand new version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. The phone’s key specifications match up exactly with what we’ve reported previously, including a dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, a 5-megapixel camera with enhancements, a 4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD display with curved glass face, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of built-in storage, NFC, a 1,750 mAh battery and plenty more. The phone will initially be available as an exclusive on Verizon Wireless in the U.S., 4G LTE in tow, and in other parts of the world it will feature HSPA+ in a pentaband configuration.. The handset will launch in November, and you can check out a video feed from the Galaxy Nexus unveiling event on Google’s Android channel. With Motorola’s incredible DROID RAZR announcement earlier, we have to ask… Motorola DROID RAZR or Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/18/samsun...-lte-versions/
The picture in the link is misleading.

vs

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

doesn't the gs2 have a faster processor?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Pretty phone. Performance looks promising

I am currently running the Droid Charge... Does anyone know if there is a Charge 2 in the works.. is this kinda it??? Confused
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
doesn't the gs2 have a faster processor?
I believe they use the same cpu.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

What a boring/awkward presentation.
      10-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
What a boring/awkward presentation.
He is certainly not a Steve Jobs... Haha.

I tunned in for about 30 seconds.. That was enough.

Ahhhh the power of marketing and branding. If only a company like Samsung or HTC could properly market their product in the same fashion as Apple......
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
He is certainly not a Steve Jobs... Haha.

I tunned in for about 30 seconds.. That was enough.

Ahhhh the power of marketing and branding. If only a company like Samsung or HTC could properly market their product in the same fashion as Apple......
I watched the whole thing, now I feel sick. lol

You'd think they would have learned a thing or two from sj.
      10-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post

The best and I mean absolute best hardware update would be if someone came up with a battery that can last 24 hrs with relatively heavy use... The rumored battery in this new phone still has to be proven. That would be something I would definitely buy a new phone for.

I just got the SG2 today and I'm returning the Iphone 4s. The 4s is a great phone but the screen is too small and it's too slow compared to HSPA+ SG2 on tmobile. Oh ATT refused to let me pay month to month without a two year contract, even though I have an unlocked 4s that I paid full retail for.
      10-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just got the SG2 today and I'm returning the Iphone 4s. The 4s is a great phone but the screen is too small and it's too slow compared to HSPA+ SG2 on tmobile. Oh ATT refused to let me pay month to month without a two year contract, even though I have an unlocked 4s that I paid full retail for.
It's certainly a great phone and the screen is indeed fantastic. I do have a few gripes though... battery life not so great, it seemed to me that my data speeds were faster and more reliable with iphone 3gs ( how I don't know), it still doesnt update such things as weather right for me. I think overall the Iphone IOS setup is easier and thus far at least for me has proven to be more reliable.