E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Urea tank count down disabled, no new tank needed

12-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Exclamation Urea tank count down disabled, no new tank needed

Well, After some extended testing, we have figured out how to disable the mileage count down for the UREA Mixture / tank issue with out having to disable the emissions on the M57 So if you have the count down showing currently and do not want to delete the SCR system, this is for you. The software is still in beta and we will have more details coming soon!
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Can you disable the temp sensors??
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Can you disable the temp sensors??
its a little more involved than just the sensor, but you dont have to remove or replace the tank and the system still work as normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is this illegal?

I think what my colleague was trying to ask, does it create any SES lights if you indeed have broken temp sensors. Normally those lights would be triggered.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I'll go a little further with the question...

Smog check time, will it show any fault on the ECU?

My tank is toast. I need to smog my car in the next 2 months.
Option 1 pay over $1000 to replace the tank and pass the test
Option 2 pay ..... and have the darn thing deleted from the ECU and pass the smog test
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If something is tuned out, it will usually cause a not ready in the readiness codes I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Is this illegal?

I think what my colleague was trying to ask, does it create any SES lights if you indeed have broken temp sensors. Normally those lights would be triggered.
I dont see why it would be illegal, the SCR sprayer still works and the readiness code is still set. We just bypass the mixture / temp fault that triggers the countdown light. All emissions equipment remains in place and still is in operation.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

So if I'm understanding this correctly (doubtful, but I try! ), this "fix" if you will, simply bypasses the ECU logic check that turns on the SES for SCR mix/temp conditions - correct? Any other checks for something like a clogged valve or other hardware malfunction will still trigger an SES light?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype View Post
So if I'm understanding this correctly (doubtful, but I try! ), this "fix" if you will, simply bypasses the ECU logic check that turns on the SES for SCR mix/temp conditions - correct? Any other checks for something like a clogged valve or other hardware malfunction will still trigger an SES light?
Yes, no other DTCs are disable in the DDE. Im still working out a few bugs and want to make sure that it will work with all software versions of the EDC17CP09.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Very nice. Assuming that is just an emissions "nuisance code," it would be great for people not interested in doing a full SCR delete. Sometimes I wonder if some of this stuff is arbitrarily installed by the manufacturers just to get cars into the service bays where dealers make alot of their profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
I dont see why it would be illegal, the SCR sprayer still works and the readiness code is still set. We just bypass the mixture / temp fault that triggers the countdown light. All emissions equipment remains in place and still is in operation.
It is certainly getting harder to make this determination. New rulings on modification of OEM software has given increased leeway to aftermarket tuning. However, most legal authorities would agree, disabling any part of the emissions system, including the bypassing of faults, is illegal without emissions certification of the modifications. The exception is custom vehicles made by small scale manufactures.

Not trying to pass judgement here. Everyone of my vehicles is "illegal". The chances of getting into trouble in my state are just about zero. Similarly, I think the likelihood of detecting this modification, in any state, has a similar probability. Of course, I'm just theorizing, as we are talking about off road use
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Altering software isn't any different than putting headers or a downpipe on..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Altering software isn't any different than putting headers or a downpipe on..
They are controlled under different regulatory agencies, so they can be different, from a legal perspective. Software is particularly interesting, as copyright protection has some differences whether changes are made by the owner of the vehicle or a third party.

I think we are going to see some dramatic changes in the industry in the very near future. It is potentially exciting times for real hot rodders. Circumvention of tuning protection/jailbreaking are on their way to becoming legal exceptions to the copyright laws. However, those exception are not being extended to 3rd parties. That means, if you want your car hot rodded, you have to do it yourself. We are already seeing the proliferation of handheld tuners and it is going to extend to all OEMs, including BMW (my prediction, not a legal requirement). The EPA will put up a stink, and tuners will counter with software updates that improve emissions, mileage and increase performance. It is already happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
They are controlled under different regulatory agencies, so they can be different, from a legal perspective. Software is particularly interesting, as copyright protection has some differences whether changes are made by the owner of the vehicle or a third party.

I think we are going to see some dramatic changes in the industry in the very near future. It is potentially exciting times for real hot rodders. Circumvention of tuning protection/jailbreaking are on their way to becoming legal exceptions to the copyright laws. However, those exception are not being extended to 3rd parties. That means, if you want your car hot rodded, you have to do it yourself. We are already seeing the proliferation of handheld tuners and it is going to extend to all OEMs, including BMW (my prediction, not a legal requirement). The EPA will put up a stink, and tuners will counter with software updates that improve emissions, mileage and increase performance. It is already happening.
Trying not to get off subject, I say we save this for another thread. You are correct, im not sure if its legal or not in all states, Its up to the owner to make the decision to do this mod to their car, and with all of our tunes we sell we stat that the owner is responsible to check with his or her's state emissions laws before installing the software.

Last edited by Bob@BPC; 01-02-2016 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Trying not to get off subject, I say we save this for another thread. You are correct, im not sure if its legal or not in all states, Its up to the owner to make the decision to do this mod to their car, and with all of our tunes we sell we stat that the owner is responsible to check with his or her's state emissions laws before installing the software.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just know that anytime a tuning mod like this comes out someone asks about the legality. Please procede.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #16
hybridp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5 35d

Do you guys normally just let the countdown timer run and never put Urea in unless you need to pass safety, or will the car prevent you from driving it until it senses you added it?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridp View Post
Do you guys normally just let the countdown timer run and never put Urea in unless you need to pass safety, or will the car prevent you from driving it until it senses you added it?
The car will not drive unit you add it, and if the sensor in the tank is bad, it will still not start the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

So what happens if you disable the countdown (due to low fluid) and the vehicle runs out of fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #19
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
So what happens if you disable the countdown (due to low fluid) and the vehicle runs out of fluid?
I have disabled it for just the mixture and temp faults. If the level sensor is an issue, I would recommend replacing the tank or doing the scr full delete.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #20
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Well, After some extended testing, we have figured out how to disable the mileage count down for the UREA Mixture / tank issue with out having to disable the emissions on the M57 So if you have the count down showing currently and do not want to delete the SCR system, this is for you. The software is still in beta and we will have more details coming soon!
Hello Bob, how do you know if the count down light is on? Anyone doing a stage 2/2+ tune I have to list it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboro100 View Post
Hello Bob, how do you know if the count down light is on? Anyone doing a stage 2/2+ tune I have to list it.
You will get a no start in xxx miles on either the cluster or the idrive depending on if you have idrive on your car.

Go google "E90 DEF countdown to no start" and pick images
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #22
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
You will get a no start in xxx miles on either the cluster or the idrive depending on if you have idrive on your car.

Go google "E90 DEF countdown to no start" and pick images
Thanks for the response. I bought some DEF just incase. Is the fluid ok mixing with other brands? I think I got the OEM stuff. AbBlue/DEF made in Germany I’m assuming this is oem and that’s what’s in the car now. I can’t wait to say goodbye to the alphabet forever!!
Appreciate 0