E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replaced my Spark Plugs Yesterday. HUGE Difference

04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Replaced my Spark Plugs Yesterday. HUGE Difference

I replaced my Spark plugs yesterday with OEM style NGK plugs after reading someone tried at 60k and it felt like new. They weren't lieing!!

I have 66k miles on my car. ***its not necessarily faster (by much) but is moreso significantly smoother

I feel a HUGE difference in how smooth the car feels at idle and how it feels under load / acceleration.

Gas pedal feels much more responsive.

I'll be back with info on any gas mileage changes.

Might seem early at 66k but I think it was well worth it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
did you go to dealer for this? Also did you change anything else, like wires?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
^answer the questions, i'm interested too
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Ethanderall
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

What wires would you change with "coil on plug" ignition?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

I went to a local indy BMW shop to have it done. They quoted me the OEM spark plugs, and I asked if they can just use the OEM equivalent NGK plugs and I saved like $40.

I didn't replace the wires or anything. I'll probably end up doing that the next time I do spark plugs.

I guess the wires he's referring to are the connections to the coil, but you can probably get the same effect by replacing the entire coils. (Not entirely sure about this part).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
I went to a local indy BMW shop to have it done. They quoted me the OEM spark plugs, and I asked if they can just use the OEM equivalent NGK plugs and I saved like $40.

I didn't replace the wires or anything. I'll probably end up doing that the next time I do spark plugs.

I guess the wires he's referring to are the connections to the coil, but you can probably get the same effect by replacing the entire coils. (Not entirely sure about this part).
There are no traditional "spark plug wires" on the N52/N54 engine, or any coil-on-plug ignition system. There is a wire harness that supplies the electricity to the coils. Coils either work or don't work. There is no need to replace a coil unless it is broken. Back in the day traditional spark plug wires required replacement because the insulation would breakdwon and allow some of the high voltage current to "leak" to gound, which would reduce the energy in the power supplied to make the plug arc; making for a less powerful spark and a less complete burn of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
There are no traditional "spark plug wires" on the N52/N54 engine, or any coil-on-plug ignition system. There is a wire harness that supplies the electricity to the coils. Coils either work or don't work. There is no need to replace a coil unless it is broken. Back in the day traditional spark plug wires required replacement because the insulation would breakdwon and allow some of the high voltage current to "leak" to gound, which would reduce the energy in the power supplied to make the plug arc; making for a less powerful spark and a less complete burn of fuel.
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe the harness with the wires going to each coil could also wear down the same way but I guess not.

Thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe the harness with the wires going to each coil could also wear down the same way but I guess not.

Thanks for the clarification!
On older cars where you have a single coil and distributor, you replace the wires because it was going from the coil at high voltage through the spark plug wires to the spark plugs.

We don't have that. Each spark plug has its own coil pack and the wire harness does not have high voltage going through it since the coil pack is directly attached to the spark plugs. No need to replace a wire harness unless something actually goes wrong. Also, if you notice a difference with a spark plug change, there is probably a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
cool thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
On older cars where you have a single coil and distributor, you replace the wires because it was going from the coil at high voltage through the spark plug wires to the spark plugs.

We don't have that. Each spark plug has its own coil pack and the wire harness does not have high voltage going through it since the coil pack is directly attached to the spark plugs. No need to replace a wire harness unless something actually goes wrong. Also, if you notice a difference with a spark plug change, there is probably a reason.
I'm not sure if it has to do with age or not, but with the original spark plugs from 2005 I was thinking that I was feeling a very very minute misfire at idle. It wasn't something that I could feel while driving the car, only when just turning on the car and letting it do a 30 second warm up. I did not throw any codes for it, I just noticed an occasional shutter from the engine.

After replacing the plugs, I don't have the shutter at all anymore and idle is smooth as butter. I only feel a difference in smoothness overall.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Thanks, my car is going through the same kind of problem (albeit prematurely imo), it probably requires the same kind of work.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
I replaced my Spark plugs yesterday with OEM style NGK plugs after reading someone tried at 60k and it felt like new. They weren't lieing!!
Do you have the specific part number for the NGKs? Started getting misfires & I want to buy the NGKs, just want to confirm the part # before I buy them.
Appreciate 0