E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= Important Notice on the 6NR ConnectedDrive =-

09-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

-= Important Notice on the 6NR ConnectedDrive =-

We have just received information related to the latest software update that BMW released a few days ago.
One of the changes they introduced in this software release is a new activation mechanism for the 6NR ConnectedDrive.
Same as the Navigation, Voice Control or the SAT radio the 6NR will require an activation code (FSC).
It means that if the 6NR was retrofitted and then the car will be updated with this new software version the 6NR will stop working.
We do not know when BMW starts selling the 6NR activation codes and what cars will be approved.

The conclusion...

If the car has the 6NR retrofitted we suggest keeping the current software version until we confirm if and how the 6NR can be reactivated for the new software version.

If the car was produced in or after March 2011 (April 2011 for the X5/X6) we can probably expect an official BMW retrofit to be available soon. It seems that it will require the following options to be installed in the car: SA609 (Navigation), SA6VC (Combox), SA6NF (Smartphone integration).

It's still a bit too early to say for sure what the coming weeks/months will bring, but we wanted to inform all of you about these changes as soon as we found it out.
We will also do our best to support our customers, who had the 6NR retrofitted and would like to receive the new software updates from BMW in the future.

Thanks,
Patryk

================
UPDATE 01-04-2012
================
I am extremely happy to bring you the long-anticipated news about the 6NR ConnectedDrive.

The first 6NR activation code has just been delivered to BimmerTech

Ladies and Gentlemen we are ready to proceed!

Please email us at info@bimmer-tech.net with all your questions.

Last edited by Patrys@BimmerTech; 01-04-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Patryk, does this development effectively put installations/purchases on hold until you determine "when BMW starts selling the 6NR activation codes and what cars will be approved."?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Patryk, does this development effectively put installations/purchases on hold until you determine "when BMW starts selling the 6NR activation codes and what cars will be approved."?
In my opinion this is the question that everyone interested in this retrofit should ask himself.
If you avoid the software updates at your dealership you are safe.

We just wanted to be fair with people interested in this retrofit and as soon as we found out this happened we posted on the forum to let everyone know.
On the other hand we will update this thread as soon as BMW starts selling the activation codes and we will confirm if they put any restrictions on the ordering process or not.

Last edited by Patrys@BimmerTech; 09-27-2011 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
If you avoid the software updates at your dealership you are safe.
Follow up question: do you know what the software update is for? Would we be avoiding some upgrades that might be desirable?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Follow up question: do you know what the software update is for? Would we be avoiding some upgrades that might be desirable?
I am not aware of any major changes in this new software update, but I have not had much time to play with it yet.
Moreover the Combox software did not get any update in this new release, so I would not expect any new features but rather bug fixing and this 6NR activation change.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

I think most US dealerships try to avoid software updates unless they have to.

Last edited by srcstc; 09-27-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Most US dealerships try to avoid software updates unless they have to.
True.It's the same for every single BMW dealership in the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Patryk, thank you for sharing this information and keeping us informed. I'll watch your threads for updates as you learn more. I remain very interested in adding 6NR to my car with your service - and look forward to the special deal that you mentioned in another thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Patryk,

Can you please tell us the version number of this new update. My car is in BMW service right now and they want to update the software to fix another problem.

Many thanks.
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham999au View Post
Patryk,

Can you please tell us the version number of this new update. My car is in BMW service right now and they want to update the software to fix another problem.

Many thanks.
Stay away from ISTA 43.x or higher.
If they really have to update the car ask them not to update the CIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

I just wanted to share with everyone that Patryk and just got done upgrading my 2011BMW X5d to have the Connected drive feature. (Yeah... I just missed getting it from the factory)
I can't say enough good things about doing this with him. He even informed me a few days short of the install about this possible problem with the new software and talked me thru it. Needless to say I decided to go for it based on how knowledgeable and informative he has been thru this process. had him do it thru his installer in N.Calif and I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks again Patryk and Alek for such a pleasant and professional experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

What do you think the agenda is?

Do you think its BMW wants to prevent people from getting aftermarket 6NR or do you think they will deliver on what they said which is that they would offer a 6NR retrofit/new base plate?

Quote:
I am not aware of any major changes in this new software update, but I have not had much time to play with it yet.
Moreover the Combox software did not get any update in this new release, so I would not expect any new features but rather bug fixing and this 6NR activation change.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Do you think its BMW wants to prevent people from getting aftermarket 6NR or do you think they will deliver on what they said which is that they would offer a 6NR retrofit/new base plate?
When did BMW say this (for the U.S.)? I've read there's a combox kit for Europe, but I've not read that BMWNA has any plans to offer a retrofit here.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Hi guys,

I just bought me E91 335d directly from bmw ag in germany.
short storry i looked for a car with all necessary options ( 609,6VC,6FL,6NF)
found it and made an appointment with my deale to switch settings / update te car to dutch
I also asked if possible to update my car with the 6NR option

Result head off the technical guys received me with a big smile stating the succeeded for the first time upgrading a car with the 6NR option

I was happy, till I discovered in the car nothing , except language changed

i went back in and the guys were very helpfull but unfortunately could not find how to activate it, although they showed me their update computer linked to my car the 6NR was added succesfully

Now they opened a case and will come back to me asap

Keep you posted, however if someone could point out what went wrong it would be helping a lot
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmo View Post
Hi guys,

I just bought me E91 335d directly from bmw ag in germany.
short storry i looked for a car with all necessary options ( 609,6VC,6FL,6NF)
found it and made an appointment with my deale to switch settings / update te car to dutch
I also asked if possible to update my car with the 6NR option

Result head off the technical guys received me with a big smile stating the succeeded for the first time upgrading a car with the 6NR option

I was happy, till I discovered in the car nothing , except language changed

i went back in and the guys were very helpfull but unfortunately could not find how to activate it, although they showed me their update computer linked to my car the 6NR was added succesfully

Now they opened a case and will come back to me asap

Keep you posted, however if someone could point out what went wrong it would be helping a lot
I figured out what went wrong, as Patryk stated a FSC activation code is needed for 6NR upgrade;

As I understood from the technician who made the update /upgrade , it was through the BMW ISTA/P computer (i think) succesfully done (he let me even look at the screen where I could see indeed a green bullet after the 6NR code)
so this morning I asked him , hey did you buy / downloaded an FSC activition code? Answer was no. He wasn't aware about the fact they have to do this, and made a so called PuMa case?? asking the responible technician at the Belgium HQ what to do.
I think thanks to this forum I have won the race for information

He will confirm asap if this is the case;

Keep you posted as it could help some other / equal cases
meanwhile I can only concure what Patryk said; Do not upgrade your system when retrofitted your CIC/Combox

Greets
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Tjardi
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW E 93 / 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmo View Post
I figured out what went wrong, as Patryk stated a FSC activation code is needed for 6NR upgrade;

As I understood from the technician who made the update /upgrade , it was through the BMW ISTA/P computer (i think) succesfully done (he let me even look at the screen where I could see indeed a green bullet after the 6NR code)
so this morning I asked him , hey did you buy / downloaded an FSC activition code? Answer was no. He wasn't aware about the fact they have to do this, and made a so called PuMa case?? asking the responible technician at the Belgium HQ what to do.
I think thanks to this forum I have won the race for information

He will confirm asap if this is the case;

Keep you posted as it could help some other / equal cases
meanwhile I can only concure what Patryk said; Do not upgrade your system when retrofitted your CIC/Combox

Greets

I own a 335i cabrio mai 2010.
All what i need for apps is present. Exept sa 6nr.

I was in Assen by the BMW dealer.
They placed sa 6nr. / The same story as you.
Nothing works.
But they could see (they said) that it was placed.

Then i got a mail from them.
When ISTA/P P2.44.0 is placed on their machines the fsc will be given.
Here in Holland they think it wil come about november.

I hope so.

Greetings from Holland.

Tjaart
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #17
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardi View Post

Nothing works.

I hope so.

Greetings from Holland.

Tjaart

Hoop het ook ;-)

keep in touch zou ik zeggen
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

To confirm it appears that BMW will offer 6NR if you meet the requirements next month

If your car is produced after March 2011, and you have the required options for 6NR: option 609 with CIC high, option 644 or option 633, option 6VC, option 6NF then it is possible to activate 6NR at the dealer. This however is once the dealer updates their programming software or knows how to do this.

609: Navigation
644: Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth or
633: Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics
6VC: Combox
6NF: SmartPhone Integration

However some original 6NR material notes (which assumes Combox):

I have 609, 639(which I believe is 633), 6VC and 6FL. So I wonder if you could still do 6NR without 6NF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardi View Post

Nothing works.

I hope so.

Greetings from Holland.

Tjaart
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
If your car is produced after March 2011, and you have the required options for 6NR: option 609 with CIC high, option 644 or option 633, option 6VC, option 6NF then it is possible to activate 6NR at the dealer. This however is once the dealer updates their programming software or knows how to do this.

609: Navigation
644: Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth or
633: Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics
6VC: Combox
6NF: SmartPhone Integration

However some original 6NR material notes (which assumes Combox):

I have 609, 639(which I believe is 633), 6VC and 6FL. So I wonder if you could still do 6NR without 6NF.
If you would like to have the 6NR retrofitted by BMW you must have the 6NF.
The official implementation of the 6NR requires the 6NF and the 6NF cannot be retrofitted by BMW dealers.

I hope that makes sense

On the other hand BimmerTech can retrofit the 6NR with or without the 6NF so as long as BMW will let us order the activation codes for vehicles that do not meet their official 6NR requirements we will continue to offer the 6NR even for the latest software versions.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

No I understood that 6NF is needed.

I was "hoping" that it wouldn't be needed. The issue for me is that I have a $250 dealer parts certificate to spend and I want to spend it on getting the parts for 6NF.

I'll wait and see what's up first.

Quote:
If you would like to have the 6NR retrofitted by BMW you must have the 6NF.
The official implementation of the 6NR requires the 6NF and the 6NF cannot be retrofitted by BMW dealers.

I hope that makes sense

On the other hand BimmerTech can retrofit the 6NR with or without the 6NF so as long as BMW will let us order the activation codes for vehicles that do not meet their official 6NR requirements we will continue to offer the 6NR even for the latest software versions.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
as long as BMW will let us order the activation codes for vehicles that do not meet their official 6NR requirements we will continue to offer the 6NR even for the latest software versions.
Patryk, have you been able to confirm this with the latest software from BMW, or are you still researching what BMW plans to do?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

So here is something interesting. My July build 2011 e92 coupe was spec'ed with the 6NR option. I recent went in to the dealer to have them troubleshoot an issue with the iPhone snap-in adapter. They ended up replacing the combox (didn't fix the problem but unrelated) and had to reprogram the car. In doing this it apparently removes the 6NR option. My SA advised me this would happen and it is a known problem. So it seems it is not just those who have added 6NR aftermarket, those with it stock are getting it deleted too.
Appreciate 0