E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Cost of tracking

03-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #45
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburn View Post
The subframe inserts won't do the trick, eh?

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
Burn
Subframe inserts will help for sure, just not as much as proper bushings. Do you have inserts installed already (I may have missed that).

For additional perspective, I have M3 bushings and wish I went solid delrin...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #46
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I xDrive

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Subframe inserts will help for sure, just not as much as proper bushings. Do you have inserts installed already (I may have missed that).

For additional perspective, I have M3 bushings and wish I went solid delrin...
I don't have them installed. Everything I listed is on my to do list for track season this year.

I am stuck trying to find a balance between decent track car and decent daily driver. I don't want to make it too harsh or end up with squeaks and rattles.
Cheers,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #47
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes NVH on a street car is something to think about when modding. Subframe bushings won't add too much NVH but diff bushings can. Stiffer (read: not liquid filled) suspension arm bushings will also add some stiffness penalty but not too much noise. Most noise will come from pillowball bushings which are too extreme for this application, or race camber plates up front, mounted on coilovers. If you avoid those things, you shouldn't introduce offensive levels of NVH.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #48
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Another reason I should stop gambling and go to tracks instead
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #49
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Gambling is probably a better bet...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #50
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
The I doesn't suffer from terrible under steer like the XI. You would have issues if you just did the rear because you didn't have under steer in the first place. I've seen a few posts about the XI that suggest it takes care of under steer and gets the car to behave like your I does stock.

I'll do some more research.
Thanks,
Burn
I don't get it. Why would stiffer rear bars improve/decrease understeer in anyway on our chassis?

An especially in relations to the Xi, the problem with understeer on the Xi isn't related to the chassis, but to the fact that you're now asking the front tires to share BOTH the driving and steering. In a FWD/AWD chassis it's very difficult to fully set up a neutral to rotation happy car simply because you're always asking for a percentage of the traction up front to use for acceleration.

The proper way to fix "understeer" in an AWD chassis is all software, not hardware.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #51
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I don't get it. Why would stiffer rear bars improve/decrease understeer in anyway on our chassis?

An especially in relations to the Xi, the problem with understeer on the Xi isn't related to the chassis, but to the fact that you're now asking the front tires to share BOTH the driving and steering. In a FWD/AWD chassis it's very difficult to fully set up a neutral to rotation happy car simply because you're always asking for a percentage of the traction up front to use for acceleration.

The proper way to fix "understeer" in an AWD chassis is all software, not hardware.
This. Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #52
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
You gotta understeer problem? Brake harder (but still trail brake). Wait for it... Now roll on power till WOT. Problem solved. (You should be WOT or thinking about getting to WOT at apex if not before. Don't add ~full~ power until you can "make it": you should be looking at corner exit - or even beyond that!- before you're even at apex, you'll know when you can "make it". Um, don't forget to unwind. Steering wheel "winding" is inversely proportional to gas pedal "steppage". Again, you should be "unwinding" at the latest at the apex, if not before. Disclosure: do this sh!t at your own risk.)

Shameless plug: I have a set of ~brand new and never-used-still-in-the-box~ Pagid Yellows, front and rear for stock 335 brakes. Make offer.

Also, get tires. Geesh.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 03-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: added "~full~", "thinking"
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #53
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:

Well, I don't have software. So that's out.

From your comments above it sounds like trying to solve understeer on AWD is similar to solving on a FWD system. Would you agree with that?

I've got a fuck ton of reading to do on this shit now because I see the rear sway bar advice all over the awd forums. I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't like to take the words of a few and ignore the many without a better understanding.

Have you built a x for the track or know someone who has?
Thanks,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #54
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Well, I don't have software. So that's out.

From your comments above it sounds like trying to solve understeer on AWD is similar to solving on a FWD system. Would you agree with that?

I've got a fuck ton of reading to do on this shit now because I see the rear sway bar advice all over the awd forums. I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't like to take the words of a few and ignore the many without a better understanding.

Thanks,
Burn
Don't read the chassis setup recommendations from AWD forums for Audi or Evo. The weight distribution on those cars are much different from the E9x.

General rules of thumb is to treat your x drive 3er as a red chassis. Get square 255 tires for all four corners and go from there
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #55
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Don't read the chassis setup recommendations from AWD forums for Audi or Evo. The weight distribution on those cars are much different from the E9x.

General rules of thumb is to treat your x drive 3er as a red chassis. Get square 255 tires for all four corners and go from there
Roger that. After a ton of reading I understand quite a bit more. Looks like best place to start tuning is square setup (wheels tires), coilovers, rear subframe bushings, then start tweeking toe, camber, dampening rates, and driving skill

Thanks guys for the great info you saved me 300 bucks and a buncha bullshit.
Cheers,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #56
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
I want to talk more about cornering so I'll start a new thread. I have some ideas I want to run by the more experienced guys.

Thanks again,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #57
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Thanks,
Burn
I should probably stop talking now.

Of all the BMW chassis I've driven extensively on track, the E92 I owned will remain the ONLY BMW chassis I've never taken to churn a hot lap. Well, the E92 and the E60, but that's another story. I've driven my E30, E46, Z4 3.0i, MZ4 Coupe on about a dozen tracks around California for the last 15 years...Sprinkled in between a few other brand's chassis (350Z, Subaru WRX, and my current DD, a Hyundai Veloster).

I've driven FWD, AWD, and RWD chassis on track and driven them ANGRY, so I can probably share with you how each different layout behaves, and how to adjust the car's operating system to get the most out of each layout's short-comings (they ALL have their short comings). But if you require "set-up" expertise on the E9X Xi chassis, I'm afraid I have absolutely zero knowledge to offer up there.

Quote:
Roger that. After a ton of reading I understand quite a bit more. Looks like best place to start tuning is square setup (wheels tires), coilovers, rear subframe bushings, then start tweeking toe, camber, dampening rates, and driving skill

Thanks guys for the great info you saved me 300 bucks and a buncha bullshit.
Cheers,
Burn
Reading up on how to "set-up" a car on car forums is the LAST thing I would do. There's so much mis-information and dumbassery out there that you will never, and can never gleam the nugget of truth from all the crap spewed on the intarweb. The percentage of the general public that actually understands a sliver of chassis setup is very slim. On top of that, those that REALLY know chassis setup won't be posting about it on a forum, present company included (no offense to those that responded). Even just reading E90Post I can't help but shake my head at how much BAD info is being passed around as fact, then re-spewed as confirmation of said "fact" on how to set up a BMW or improve its handling.

I recall, LONG time ago, when I was but a wee little noob starting my HPDE career, I once told the chief instructor of our chapter that he can solve all his understeering problems with a new set of swaybars for his stock M3. He gave me a little knowing smile and said "oh really? I'll have to keep that in mind." Little did I know he has been club racing for years and have been finishing first in his class consistently, and had forgotten more about setting up chassis than I will likely learn in my lifetime...He TAUGHT the instructor that taught me about some basics of chassis set-up that I've been spewing on various forums as fact.

In reality, he spared me the embarrassment of trying to learn all that black magic that is chassis dynamics knowing that I didn't know enough at the time to comprehend 1/2 of what he'll be able to impart. It wasn't until much later, when I advanced to advanced level in the program did I start to pick up on some of the subtleties that changing chassis settings would do to effect handling. And in all honesty, up till that point, ANY change I would and could make to the car, I could really only take advantage of a small fraction of its capabilities, and in fact, due to the car's operating system still in 0.X release, the behavior of the chassis was far too erratic to extract any meaningful feedback from it.

(and if you still don't get the reference, the car's operating system is the driver. You can't solve ANY chassis dynamic issues without fixing that first.)
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #58
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
I should probably stop talking now.

Of all the BMW chassis I've driven extensively on track, the E92 I owned will remain the ONLY BMW chassis I've never taken to churn a hot lap. Well, the E92 and the E60, but that's another story. I've driven my E30, E46, Z4 3.0i, MZ4 Coupe on about a dozen tracks around California for the last 15 years...Sprinkled in between a few other brand's chassis (350Z, Subaru WRX, and my current DD, a Hyundai Veloster).

I've driven FWD, AWD, and RWD chassis on track and driven them ANGRY, so I can probably share with you how each different layout behaves, and how to adjust the car's operating system to get the most out of each layout's short-comings (they ALL have their short comings). But if you require "set-up" expertise on the E9X Xi chassis, I'm afraid I have absolutely zero knowledge to offer up there.

Reading up on how to "set-up" a car on car forums is the LAST thing I would do. There's so much mis-information and dumbassery out there that you will never, and can never gleam the nugget of truth from all the crap spewed on the intarweb. The percentage of the general public that actually understands a sliver of chassis setup is very slim. On top of that, those that REALLY know chassis setup won't be posting about it on a forum, present company included (no offense to those that responded). Even just reading E90Post I can't help but shake my head at how much BAD info is being passed around as fact, then re-spewed as confirmation of said "fact" on how to set up a BMW or improve its handling.

I recall, LONG time ago, when I was but a wee little noob starting my HPDE career, I once told the chief instructor of our chapter that he can solve all his understeering problems with a new set of swaybars for his stock M3. He gave me a little knowing smile and said "oh really? I'll have to keep that in mind." Little did I know he has been club racing for years and have been finishing first in his class consistently, and had forgotten more about setting up chassis than I will likely learn in my lifetime...He TAUGHT the instructor that taught me about some basics of chassis set-up that I've been spewing on various forums as fact.

In reality, he spared me the embarrassment of trying to learn all that black magic that is chassis dynamics knowing that I didn't know enough at the time to comprehend 1/2 of what he'll be able to impart. It wasn't until much later, when I advanced to advanced level in the program did I start to pick up on some of the subtleties that changing chassis settings would do to effect handling. And in all honesty, up till that point, ANY change I would and could make to the car, I could really only take advantage of a small fraction of its capabilities, and in fact, due to the car's operating system still in 0.X release, the behavior of the chassis was far too erratic to extract any meaningful feedback from it.

(and if you still don't get the reference, the car's operating system is the driver. You can't solve ANY chassis dynamic issues without fixing that first.)
I have a few race chassis design books and gained a ton of information from them. However, they never touched on fwd or awd. Besides the obvious, HPDE instructors(who may provide incorrect info as well), where would you suggest I turn to learn more about the X and chassis/suspension design and tuning?

I don't think I'm the best driver or even close. I do realize seat time is the key and I continue to gain experience. I just want to make sure I understand why a car is behaving a certain way and what I, as the driver, can do to take advantage of or mitigate behaviors.

I really appreciate the help and I'm not trying to get into a pissing match or argue. I took what you said and researched, as best I could, to find evidence to support your claim, not mine. I simply want to learn from those who have done it and are competent, not the 1 million people out there spewing useless shit. Sometimes, it's hard to determine who is who quickly enough to not offend the real deal by being skeptical of their claims.

I don't want to be spoon fed and I'm willing to do the work myself. I think your insightful comments have saved me from heading down the wrong path. A perfect example of why shutting your mouth and listening is something I firmly believe in.

Thanks again,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #59
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Got this one? http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-scien.../dp/0879380713
      03-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #60
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Nope, just ordered it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #61
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I have a few race chassis design books and gained a ton of information from them. However, they never touched on fwd or awd. Besides the obvious, HPDE instructors(who may provide incorrect info as well), where would you suggest I turn to learn more about the X and chassis/suspension design and tuning?
I'm a big fan of the Chaos theory. The theory stipulates that in a complex system, changing one single parameter can and will have dramatic and unexpected results in the system as a whole, and will manifest the effect in unexpected fashion...i.e. a butterfly fluttering her wings in China resulting in tornados in Kansas.

A car's chassis dynamics is a complex system. Maybe not as complex as weather, but it as a system is highly dependent on a number of variables and factors that all affect each other. While distilling it and isolating each factor may result in a desired result for one instance, it may not produce the same exact result consistently across different platforms and, most importantly, DIFFERENT DRIVERS.

Let's take one single subsystem for instance. I'll be honest. I spend an inordinate amount of time on a wide range of forums, because I'm a glutton for punishment, and also I have problem concentrating on the same project for prolonged periods of time at work. On a very mature chassis like the E36 M3, there seems to be absolutely zero consensus as to what to do with a simple component like swaybars. Some driver on the motorsports forum on a popular E36 M3 site seem to suggest that running without a rear bar is the best and only way to go, while others contend that they've tried this method and they would lose 1/2 a second on the same AX course. Then the no-rear sway crowd would cite their own results and results of various national champions that "champion" the no-rear bar method, until, of course, said national champ was dethroned by another that runs a chassis that has rear bars.

So what is it exactly that I'm trying to say here? Actually, I don't have a point to make. Except there seems to be zero consensus. That seems to be the universal truth. So that leads me to form one conclusion. The ONE single variable that YOU as a driver can control, is the operating system behind the wheel. The cure for any and all handling ills needs to start with the DRIVER, not the chassis. Now, it may end with some chassis modifications, but the first, and foremost "fix," is you have to figure out how you're operating the car bridges the result that you have now, and the result that you seek.

It's all the "zen of driving" if you ask me.

Now, I don't know you. I don't know your experience level. But if I were to advise you, I would say, set a baseline first. Assume nothing, go out and drive to your max capability, collect data, and figure out the baseline. If you find yourself suffering from understeer on a lot of corner exit, then, as your baseline, you have established that the chassis understeers on corner exit (which is common amongst AWD and FWD cars based on what I postulated). Then the next step you need to figure out, is can you cure that understeer by altering the way you drive AND pick up time throughout the course. Since we know AWD and FWD has a tendency to understeer on corner exit, due to the fact that traction is shared between lateral and forward forces, you need to figure out a way to shorten the time that the front end spends doing BOTH.

But let's take a quick step back. The reason why I gave you a metric ton of example of all the different cars I've driven on track, is because I learned how to drive on track on a RWD car, then, while still driving a RWD platform, I experimented with an AWD car that has very similar characteristics (my '09 WRX Wagon is ~3,200 lbs, high torsional rigidity, with ~300 HP on tap and about as close to 50/50 weight distro as any chassis can get, while splitting power from the turbocharged boxster 4 symmetrically to all 4 wheels at all times). My "baseline" driving style is based on the RWD chassis (at the time, an MZ4 Coupe that I still drive to and from the track today), and I quickly figured out that the WRX doesn't "understeer" like a b*tch, it understeers like a b*tch because I was trying to drive a AWD chassis like a RWD car. The logical way to drive it was to take full advantage of the fact that AWD has forward traction to all 4 wheels and can actually laid down power longer through a curve than RWD can, but in order to do so, the front end needs to be pointed as straight (or relatively straight) for as long as possible through a turn.

The way to accomplish this is to trail the brake into a turn longer than I would in a RWD to put more grip up front, use that available grip for the first 1/3rd of the turn-in process mostly for the act of turn-in, turn in MORE and later than I normally would in the RWD, but spend LESS time on the turn-in, getting myself and the approach angle to the exit set for a more deep angle, then straighten out the front wheel much earlier and applying throttle much earlier than I would in a RWD.

At the end of the day, I was churning equivalent times in the WRX as I would in the MZ4 Coupe, if the WRX was equipped with better R-comps (Hoosier R6 vs. Nitto NT-01 at the time) on the same course.

When I started driving my Veloster Turbo on distant tracks, out of sheer desperation (I wasn't going to sit through 800 miles and 8+ hours of driving to and from the track in the MZ4 Coupe. Plus the missus, that came with me to the event, wouldn't be too happy about riding in it for that long either), I realized that in addition to the propensity to understeer, unlike the AWD on the Subaru where I can continue to apply more throttle and eventually the rear end will come around and point me the right way, the FWD chassis does not rotate under power, and that the more power you give it, the more your drive wheel will continue to spin underneath you and the SLOWER you will go. So the FWD chassis is even more of a "point and shoot" style driving, if you can't get the front end pointed to where you want it to go, you can't get on the throttle (RWD on the other hand, you NEED to roll on the throttle almost immediately after you turn in).

So why am I telling you all this?

You need to set a baseline. If you start messing around with the suspension now thinking that you're fixing ills that you haven't even experienced, you're wasting your time. Take the Xi to the track, churn some laps, figure out when and where there are troubles with the chassis.

Then change one component at a time. Start with tires. Try squared vs. staggered. Check wear patterns. Try different pressure front and rear. Then based on wear patterns, align the suspension so you're using as much tire as evenly as possible across front and rear. Check tire temp after each run. Align until you get even temp across tire surface. Then, if you're getting uneven tire pressure/temp between the front and rear tires, you can increase/decrease spring rate front vs. rear*. Then, if you're not happy with the rate of weight transition in a corner, i.e. it takes too long to take a set, or if the front end sets while the back-end is struggling to catch up (and if you can actually feel that), you can firm up the dampers according to which end is lagging. At that point, if you're still understeering on exit for one or two of the tightest corners, and that's eating into your lap time according to data, then you can stiffen up one bar or loosen up the other based on the data to get you all the way there (and keep in mind you will NEVER have a truly, completely neutral chassis...All chassis will understeer or oversteer depending on input and condition. A truly, completely neutral chassis is something that doesn't have enough HP to overcome the rear tires, but have enough mechanical grip or aerodynamic grip to NEVER overcome the front and rear tires in a corner. A car like that would SUCK to drive).

AGAIN...Why am I telling you all this?

You need to set a baseline. Otherwise whatever tinkering you do is a waste of time (at least, a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. If you just want to tinker just to tinker...nothing I say here will stop you**). Once you have a baseline set, alter each component starting with the one that will give you the biggest effect to the one that will have the least change in system behavior.

* Springs, are a little hard to justify changing all the time because they're so much harder to set right. This is where setting it to a recommended rate based on expert and manufacturer feedback will pretty much be the only way to do it. Most of us, at least most that I know, for HPDE purposes, set their springs once and almost never change it. Racing is another story all together.

** To be completely honest, most of what you read on the intarweb will have been based on some sort of truth. Will stiffer rear swaybars take away some understeer? Technically? Yes. And in some, if not most instances, it probably will. But it decreases understeer by promoting oversteer and take away rear grip at the limit. BUT what it also does is actually promote grip at lower end of the grip limit, thus creating the illusion that the car handles better, despite the fact that your overall grip level in the rear has been decreased. I put this footnote here, mainly because I don't think people shouldn't tinker with their car unless they're going to the track and know what they're doing. In fact, I encourage tinkering because, that's how *I* got started. My first track car had springs, swaybars, dampers, shifters, tune, intake, big brakes...you name it, it had it, before I turn a single lap on track. So I'd be a total hypocrite if I keep spewing the "baseline" crap.

But now? Knowing what I know? I know I wasted a lot of time and money on setting up a car that probably would have handled just as well prior to me dumping what would have easily been over $10,000 on it, had I spend that money on upgrading the "operating system."

Okay I'm done with my annual brain dump on E90Post.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #62
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Chaos theory. The theory stipulates that in a complex system, changing one single parameter can and will have dramatic and unexpected results in the system as a whole, and will manifest the effect in unexpected fashion...i.e. a butterfly fluttering her wings in China resulting in tornados in Kansas.

A car's chassis dynamics is a complex system. Maybe not as complex as weather, but it as a system is highly dependent on a number of variables and factors that all affect each other. While distilling it and isolating each factor may result in a desired result for one instance, it may not produce the same exact result consistently across different platforms and, most importantly, DIFFERENT DRIVERS.

Let's take one single subsystem for instance. I'll be honest. I spend an inordinate amount of time on a wide range of forums, because I'm a glutton for punishment, and also I have problem concentrating on the same project for prolonged periods of time at work. On a very mature chassis like the E36 M3, there seems to be absolutely zero consensus as to what to do with a simple component like swaybars. Some driver on the motorsports forum on a popular E36 M3 site seem to suggest that running without a rear bar is the best and only way to go, while others contend that they've tried this method and they would lose 1/2 a second on the same AX course. Then the no-rear sway crowd would cite their own results and results of various national champions that "champion" the no-rear bar method, until, of course, said national champ was dethroned by another that runs a chassis that has rear bars.

So what is it exactly that I'm trying to say here? Actually, I don't have a point to make. Except there seems to be zero consensus. That seems to be the universal truth. So that leads me to form one conclusion. The ONE single variable that YOU as a driver can control, is the operating system behind the wheel. The cure for any and all handling ills needs to start with the DRIVER, not the chassis. Now, it may end with some chassis modifications, but the first, and foremost "fix," is you have to figure out how you're operating the car bridges the result that you have now, and the result that you seek.

It's all the "zen of driving" if you ask me.

Now, I don't know you. I don't know your experience level. But if I were to advise you, I would say, set a baseline first. Assume nothing, go out and drive to your max capability, collect data, and figure out the baseline. If you find yourself suffering from understeer on a lot of corner exit, then, as your baseline, you have established that the chassis understeers on corner exit (which is common amongst AWD and FWD cars based on what I postulated). Then the next step you need to figure out, is can you cure that understeer by altering the way you drive AND pick up time throughout the course. Since we know AWD and FWD has a tendency to understeer on corner exit, due to the fact that traction is shared between lateral and forward forces, you need to figure out a way to shorten the time that the front end spends doing BOTH.

But let's take a quick step back. The reason why I gave you a metric ton of example of all the different cars I've driven on track, is because I learned how to drive on track on a RWD car, then, while still driving a RWD platform, I experimented with an AWD car that has very similar characteristics (my '09 WRX Wagon is ~3,200 lbs, high torsional rigidity, with ~300 HP on tap and about as close to 50/50 weight distro as any chassis can get, while splitting power from the turbocharged boxster 4 symmetrically to all 4 wheels at all times). My "baseline" driving style is based on the RWD chassis (at the time, an MZ4 Coupe that I still drive to and from the track today), and I quickly figured out that the WRX doesn't "understeer" like a b*tch, it understeers like a b*tch because I was trying to drive a AWD chassis like a RWD car. The logical way to drive it was to take full advantage of the fact that AWD has forward traction to all 4 wheels and can actually laid down power longer through a curve than RWD can, but in order to do so, the front end needs to be pointed as straight (or relatively straight) for as long as possible through a turn.

The way to accomplish this is to trail the brake into a turn longer than I would in a RWD to put more grip up front, use that available grip for the first 1/3rd of the turn-in process mostly for the act of turn-in, turn in MORE and later than I normally would in the RWD, but spend LESS time on the turn-in, getting myself and the approach angle to the exit set for a more deep angle, then straighten out the front wheel much earlier and applying throttle much earlier than I would in a RWD.

At the end of the day, I was churning equivalent times in the WRX as I would in the MZ4 Coupe, if the WRX was equipped with better R-comps (Hoosier R6 vs. Nitto NT-01 at the time) on the same course.

When I started driving my Veloster Turbo on distant tracks, out of sheer desperation (I wasn't going to sit through 800 miles and 8+ hours of driving to and from the track in the MZ4 Coupe. Plus the missus, that came with me to the event, wouldn't be too happy about riding in it for that long either), I realized that in addition to the propensity to understeer, unlike the AWD on the Subaru where I can continue to apply more throttle and eventually the rear end will come around and point me the right way, the FWD chassis does not rotate under power, and that the more power you give it, the more your drive wheel will continue to spin underneath you and the SLOWER you will go. So the FWD chassis is even more of a "point and shoot" style driving, if you can't get the front end pointed to where you want it to go, you can't get on the throttle (RWD on the other hand, you NEED to roll on the throttle almost immediately after you turn in).

So why am I telling you all this?

You need to set a baseline. If you start messing around with the suspension now thinking that you're fixing ills that you haven't even experienced, you're wasting your time. Take the Xi to the track, churn some laps, figure out when and where there are troubles with the chassis.

Then change one component at a time. Start with tires. Try squared vs. staggered. Check wear patterns. Try different pressure front and rear. Then based on wear patterns, align the suspension so you're using as much tire as evenly as possible across front and rear. Check tire temp after each run. Align until you get even temp across tire surface. Then, if you're getting uneven tire pressure/temp between the front and rear tires, you can increase/decrease spring rate front vs. rear*. Then, if you're not happy with the rate of weight transition in a corner, i.e. it takes too long to take a set, or if the front end sets while the back-end is struggling to catch up (and if you can actually feel that), you can firm up the dampers according to which end is lagging. At that point, if you're still understeering on exit for one or two of the tightest corners, and that's eating into your lap time according to data, then you can stiffen up one bar or loosen up the other based on the data to get you all the way there (and keep in mind you will NEVER have a truly, completely neutral chassis...All chassis will understeer or oversteer depending on input and condition. A truly, completely neutral chassis is something that doesn't have enough HP to overcome the rear tires, but have enough mechanical grip or aerodynamic grip to NEVER overcome the front and rear tires in a corner. A car like that would SUCK to drive).

AGAIN...Why am I telling you all this?

You need to set a baseline. Otherwise whatever tinkering you do is a waste of time (at least, a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. If you just want to tinker just to tinker...nothing I say here will stop you**). Once you have a baseline set, alter each component starting with the one that will give you the biggest effect to the one that will have the least change in system behavior.

* Springs, are a little hard to justify changing all the time because they're so much harder to set right. This is where setting it to a recommended rate based on expert and manufacturer feedback will pretty much be the only way to do it. Most of us, at least most that I know, for HPDE purposes, set their springs once and almost never change it. Racing is another story all together.

** To be completely honest, most of what you read on the intarweb will have been based on some sort of truth. Will stiffer rear swaybars take away some understeer? Technically? Yes. And in some, if not most instances, it probably will. But it decreases understeer by promoting oversteer and take away rear grip at the limit. BUT what it also does is actually promote grip at lower end of the grip limit, thus creating the illusion that the car handles better, despite the fact that your overall grip level in the rear has been decreased. I put this footnote here, mainly because I don't think people shouldn't tinker with their car unless they're going to the track and know what they're doing. In fact, I encourage tinkering because, that's how *I* got started. My first track car had springs, swaybars, dampers, shifters, tune, intake, big brakes...you name it, it had it, before I turn a single lap on track. So I'd be a total hypocrite if I keep spewing the "baseline" crap.

But now? Knowing what I know? I know I wasted a lot of time and money on setting up a car that probably would have handled just as well prior to me dumping what would have easily been over $10,000 on it, had I spend that money on upgrading the "operating system."

Okay I'm done with my annual brain dump on E90Post.
I have the weirdest boner right now.

All joking aside. I've got my lap times from last year for a baseline.
Things I know:
I need to deal with cooling. FMIC and upgraded radiator. That may not be all I need to do but it's a start.

The rear end feeling unsettled was mostly due to rear subframe bushings.

The runflats have to go. I am going to take a chance and shoot for a square setup. Currently, the car has 8.5's in the rear and 8's in the front. I think it's a safe assumption that 8.5's and sticky rubber all around would be a solid move.

Must have pads and proper fluids to hopefully avoid my braking issues from last year.

Now what I didn't mention was the extreme body roll the car has when transitioning in a few of the corners or on the sweepers. One of the instructors that was following me even commented on it. He complimented me on driving the shit out of the car but said I should really look into reducing the roll. I figured the kw v1's would help with that but perhaps I should hold off. What worries me is how much roll I had on shitty runflats. With some proper rubber on I can see that becoming even worse. kw's will lower the car slightly and stiffen things up a bit. That should reduce roll, right?

Of the things listed above it doesn't seem there is much a driver could do to make them behave any differently, except of course drive slower. But these are all stock handling characteristics of the car that I'd like to improve upon.

So if I take the "pick the low hanging fruit first approach", I should try to improve the deficiencies that are not related to my input. Does that seem like a solid plan to you?

Thanks again,
Burn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #63
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

That was a good read.

To offer a different perspective, it doesn't hurt to stiffen up this particular chassis by switching to stiffer rear subframe bushings and control arms bushings like the M3. The stock non-M is very soft and imprecise in its stock form. That and a slightly more aggressive alignment (more negative camber front, and less toe in or even a bit of toe out as well) should provided all the things you need to start things out.

The next step you should really focus on is actually getting to know the car. Unless you are absolutely sure that you have max the potential current setup, I would refrain myself from pouring too much money and effort on modding the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #64
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

9" in wheels would fit for both e90 and e92 (if you are tracking a 4000lbs e93, you are doing it wrong lol) if you get et30. I know apex sells those and they have group buys pretty often. A good tire for our car would be ha look r-s3 or something that can handle heat just as well, since our cars are heavy.

You might want to look into brass brake guide bushing as well. I had tapered pad wear issue last year even with PFC01 pads due to the flexing of rubber stock bushings under heavy braking, which leads to a annoyingly soft pedal. At $40-50 per axles, they are cheap insurance for a firm predictable pedal.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #65
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
9" in wheels would fit for both e90 and e92 (if you are tracking a 4000lbs e93, you are doing it wrong lol) if you get et30. I know apex sells those and they have group buys pretty often. A good tire for our car would be ha look r-s3 or something that can handle heat just as well, since our cars are heavy.

You might want to look into brass brake guide bushing as well. I had tapered pad wear issue last year even with PFC01 pads due to the flexing of rubber stock bushings under heavy braking, which leads to a annoyingly soft pedal. At $40-50 per axles, they are cheap insurance for a firm predictable pedal.
18x9s fit you say?!? That gets me all excited.

That would be ideal. So 18x9 et30 all around?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #66
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
18x9s fit you say?!? That gets me all excited.

That would be ideal. So 18x9 et30 all around?
You got it!
Appreciate 0