E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Importing a US spec 2007 335i to Spain

01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Importing a US spec 2007 335i to Spain

I am an European citizen looking into moving to Spain. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I'm not too concerned with import duties as it would be treated as moving goods as I have owned it for more than six months. I'm more thinking in regards to what, if any, mods I would have to do to the car to conform to Spanish regulations. I know that if I were to import it to Sweden (my home country) the car would get exemptions from this as it would be considered moving goods. Does this apply in Spain too?

I did a search online and on this forum but didn't come up with a whole lot specifically about imported BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
I don't know of any specific requirements for Spain but by and large, bringing US spec cars into Europe is pretty easy and hassle-free. You may have some minor adjustments for local compliance but it is usually trivial. You can even keep your car on US plates even though you're supposed to convert and pay the local road taxes. I had a friend with an E30 325is in London that was on Illinois plates for years. If you are still under warranty though, you may want to look into that further. I've heard it can be convoluted.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

My car is CPO only until October of this year, so no biggie there.

Regarding driving in Europe on US plates you're really allowed to do so for six months only from what I have read. Whether or not you can get away with it for a longer time is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0.92 View Post
My car is CPO only until October of this year, so no biggie there.

Regarding driving in Europe on US plates you're really allowed to do so for six months only from what I have read. Whether or not you can get away with it for a longer time is a different story.
Yes, it's 6 months but not very actively enforced. I imported an Audi S4 from Sweden to the UK and drove it around London on the temporary transit plates for 3 years avoiding speed cameras and parking tickets. I had the UK plates in the trunk along with the import and road tax documents just in case but no one ever made a fuss.
Appreciate 0