E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Factory Alarm & The Dealer says........

12-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Talking E90 Factory Alarm & The Dealer says........

So I bought a brand new BMW factory alarm from a BMW dealer. I installed it and took it in to my local dealer to have them code it to my car. Well they are having problems getting it coded and told me if it was a used kit that it will not work on another car.

Well it is not used it brand new so not sure whats going on. Any one else have this problem, and if so what was the fix ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So this is what they are saying is the problem..............the kit I bought has the old style alarm module witch is the speaker that goes under the rear wheel well. I guess there is a updated one that they have made due to having this issue with the older ones. I have all the new part numbers so now I have to call the BMW dealer tomorrow and see about getting the right one.

Also I was told that if you buy a used kit that had been hooked up to a different car then they would not be able to pair it with another car. Still wondering if anyone else has had this problem that I am having ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Some of the guys on the coding sub forum

Might have some insight into this.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Never heard of such a thing as that you can't use an alarm that was previously installed in another vehicle

I bought a used alarm off this forum and installed it in my 09' and it works perfectly - dealer programmed it. Tons of other members have done the same.

Never heard of problems with that style of alarm, and not aware of any so called improved/upgraded units either - as far as I know, I, and many other members have installed the style that has the module/siren located in DS rear wheel well with no problems.

Ask yourself, why would you need a different alarm when you have a 2008 and BMW has been using the old style since then with no problems?

I call total BS on the part of the dealer - either they are cranked because they did not sell you the alarm plus get the labor charges, so they are feeding you shit in order to make more $$ off you, or they are total MORONS

BMW dealer service remind me of IT guys - if they don't know how to do something, or can't fix a problem - they always have 100 excuses or reasons to put blame on someone else why they can't perform their job function correctly/adequately...

In the end, you can code the alarm yourself without any 'help' (and I use the term loosely) from the dealer. At time of my install I was not in to coding yet, but have since coded alarm for a friend.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
So this is what they are saying is the problem..............the kit I bought has the old style alarm module witch is the speaker that goes under the rear wheel well. I guess there is a updated one that they have made due to having this issue with the older ones. I have all the new part numbers so now I have to call the BMW dealer tomorrow and see about getting the right one.

Also I was told that if you buy a used kit that had been hooked up to a different car then they would not be able to pair it with another car. Still wondering if anyone else has had this problem that I am having ?
Had the exact same problem. Bought the alarm from Tischer but then decided just to have the dealer install it during routine service when a month had gone by and I never got around to putting it in. They called me up and said I needed to purchase a new alarm (I think the cost was $230 or something ridiculous) and a long fight ensued. Eventually got it put it and they covered the cost of the alarm minus some small fee because I bought it new from another BMW dealer.

Show them your receipt and have the manager order the part gratis, don't let them do anything or charge you because my SA told me AFTER they had ordered the part that this exchange was covered by BMW NA and that I shouldn't have been charged anything. Worst case scenario is you get the PN you need, contact the dealer that you did by it from, and have them ship it to you.

Don't pay anything extra, you bought a new alarm from BMW NA through their dealer and someone needs to give you the correct horn in order to make it work (that's assuming they stick to their "we have to have this new horn in order to code it" line), period.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Never heard of such a thing as that you can't use an alarm that was previously installed in another vehicle

I bought a used alarm off this forum and installed it in my 09' and it works perfectly - dealer programmed it. Tons of other members have done the same.

Never heard of problems with that style of alarm, and not aware of any so called improved/upgraded units either - as far as I know, I, and many other members have installed the style that has the module/siren located in DS rear wheel well with no problems.

Ask yourself, why would you need a different alarm when you have a 2008 and BMW has been using the old style since then with no problems?

I call total BS on the part of the dealer - either they are cranked because they did not sell you the alarm plus get the labor charges, so they are feeding you shit in order to make more $$ off you, or they are total MORONS

BMW dealer service remind me of IT guys - if they don't know how to do something, or can't fix a problem - they always have 100 excuses or reasons to put blame on someone else why they can't perform their job function correctly/adequately...

In the end, you can code the alarm yourself without any 'help' (and I use the term loosely) from the dealer. At time of my install I was not in to coding yet, but have since coded alarm for a friend.
Yeah some of the stuff they are telling me seems a bit off. They came up with another part number for the so called upgraded module so now I will be calling the dealer I got it from and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Had the exact same problem. Bought the alarm from Tischer but then decided just to have the dealer install it during routine service when a month had gone by and I never got around to putting it in. They called me up and said I needed to purchase a new alarm (I think the cost was $230 or something ridiculous) and a long fight ensued. Eventually got it put it and they covered the cost of the alarm minus some small fee because I bought it new from another BMW dealer.

Show them your receipt and have the manager order the part gratis, don't let them do anything or charge you because my SA told me AFTER they had ordered the part that this exchange was covered by BMW NA and that I shouldn't have been charged anything. Worst case scenario is you get the PN you need, contact the dealer that you did by it from, and have them ship it to you.

Don't pay anything extra, you bought a new alarm from BMW NA through their dealer and someone needs to give you the correct horn in order to make it work (that's assuming they stick to their "we have to have this new horn in order to code it" line), period.

Yeah so far they have not charged me anything extra but the part they say I need is around 230 more dallors. So I will update this thread when I get some more info.

On a side note when I got in my car the clock needed to be rest twice, now it seems to be fine. Also my side mirrors were both discolored, dark blue spots on the bottom and light yellow on the tops. It fadded away after a few hrs and is back to normal now. I am guessing it was from them trying to get the alarm coded ?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Yeah so far they have not charged me anything extra but the part they say I need is around 230 more dallors. So I will update this thread when I get some more info.

On a side note when I got in my car the clock needed to be rest twice, now it seems to be fine. Also my side mirrors were both discolored, dark blue spots on the bottom and light yellow on the tops. It fadded away after a few hrs and is back to normal now. I am guessing it was from them trying to get the alarm coded ?
That's just crazy - you can buy the entire alarm for $265 new...

Clock reset is normal, don't know about the mirrors, as I am assuming you have Auto Dim side mirrors? and I do not - so I didn't notice any mirror oddities
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's just crazy - you can buy the entire alarm for $265 new...

Clock reset is normal, don't know about the mirrors, as I am assuming you have Auto Dim side mirrors? and I do not - so I didn't notice any mirror oddities
Yeah I am glad the mirrors fixed them selfs.

I called the dealer I got the kit from and they are sending me the right part. I am paying for it and then once they get the old part back from me they are giving me a full refund.

I will update when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, that sounds better (except for all your wasted time of course)

Is the dealer planning on charging you again for the coding? or will they credit you the time spent so far with no results?

I still think it's strange that all of a sudden you have to have a different module to make the alarm work properly, when so many of us have installed used alarms in cars newer in year than yours - unless we all just got lucky and bought the already upgraded version...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, that sounds better (except for all your wasted time of course)

Is the dealer planning on charging you again for the coding? or will they credit you the time spent so far with no results?

I still think it's strange that all of a sudden you have to have a different module to make the alarm work properly, when so many of us have installed used alarms in cars newer in year than yours - unless we all just got lucky and bought the already upgraded version...
Yeah I think it odd to. I was not charged for the time they spent on it yesterday so that's good. One more thing that the dealer did that was trying to code the alarm to my car did was they gave me the wrong part number for the new module. When I called the dealer that sold me the kit they said that is not the right one and gave me a different part number.

I went to the parts counter at the one who is trying to code the alarm and asked them to look up the part numbers to make sure I was getting the right one from them and he also said that the tech gave me the wrong number yesterday and I do have the right one coming from the kit dealer.

What a f-n headache !
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
My SA told me that they changed the BMW coding system so that it won't allow them to code the car if it detects the old alarm. The process just hangs/aborts. Not sure how true that is, but doesn't sound entirely impossible that they might do something like that.

If you're coding on your own, that's a whole different story.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
My SA told me that they changed the BMW coding system so that it won't allow them to code the car if it detects the old alarm. The process just hangs/aborts. Not sure how true that is, but doesn't sound entirely impossible that they might do something like that.

If you're coding on your own, that's a whole different story.
Yeah they did say they used to be able to code them but not anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, that must have just recently changed, because like I stated, the dealer coded my used alarm that I installed earlier this year with no problem.

Home office must have got wind that too many people were buying 'recycled' alarms from private parties instead of the rapist prices they charge, and sat someone down to figure out a way to stop that dead in it's tracks.

So typical - too bad they don't spend so much effort in making their cars electronics last much past the warranty period...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah the dealer was asking if I bought it used or even of a wrecked car or junk yard............lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

FYI. You can order a brand new alarm from BMW of Bloomfield on eBay for $238.50 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390322210664...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr).

Installation is about 30 minutes? Here is the instruction: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487

A lot of people will code your car for free or for a lot cheaper price than the dealership. Just go to the coding or local forum section and ask around.
      12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yep bought that alarm off ebay and installed it myself and the dealer is telling my they can't code it with the module that came with the kit so I am getting a upgraded one for free from the BMW dealer I bought it from on ebay.

As for the coding part I will just have the dealer do it and that way I don't have to worry about getting ahold of someone to fix it.

But thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Ok. My car is a 2008 328i sedan as well. I had no problem installing and coding (myself) what they shipped me. That's good that they are taking care of you.
      12-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I see that the description for most of the alarms now includes that they work for build dates of up to 3/2009...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bumping this to give a update..............so I got the new part and my car is at the dealer again today. I am waiting to hear back from them and I hope it will work this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Fail on BMW still having problems getting it hooked up
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm having the same problem. The dealer's computer is asking for the sensor and siren. The siren part number requested matches my packing slip, but the sensor part number requested is different. WTF. How the heck does the clown nose blink like it does now if both of the modules are not installed? Lame.