E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Fiber/polyfill for subwoofer enclosure?

06-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Fiber/polyfill for subwoofer enclosure?

I see no one here has done this. I plan on upgrading the subs to the earthquakes like most people do on here, but has no one tried to increase the dampening of the enclosure? (from the pictures, looks like a poorly designed unit) This would reduce the "boomy" bass we experience in our cars, plus it helps the subs play a little deeper. Results in a more accurate controlled bass what we audiophiles perceive "tight". In my speaker designs, I have heard and measured a large significant difference between damped and undamped enclosures, but that is for home audio; not too experienced in car audio. Anyone care to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

mistaken. Polyfil/Dacron does absolutely zero acoustically. This has been tested at length by manufacturers like Kicker, Eclipse (I conducted these test when I was there), Rockford Fosgate, MTX, and many more. If you want to truly degrade the backwave to improve bass, and keep physical distortion to a minimum you need to use acoustic fiberglass (available from JohnsManville), which modifies the path of the wave, thus reducing on-axis reflection.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

I guess you can be right since quarter wavelengths at these frequencies exceed the enclosure dimensions. It is not entirely false however; that applies only in car audio. In home audio, you can have enclosures that will be longer than quarter wavelengths. Good point though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

in home audio dacron still won't do anything. It is acoustically invisible. Even in true quarter wave (transmission line) enclosures we use sheep wool, acoustic fiberglass, or open cell foam.

If you are on a budget look at black hole open cell foam, or even egg crate foam, as this can often be decent acoustic material for very little money.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Why not just give it shot and report back? The direct experience would be valuable.

That said, my combination of Jehnerts and EQ settings (without polyfill) produces good sound quality without boominess.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Why not just give it shot and report back? The direct experience would be valuable.

That said, my combination of Jehnerts and EQ settings (without polyfill) produces good sound quality without boominess.
the problem with that is when you look for a needle in a haystack, if you look hard enough, and are sure enough you'll find it...eventually, you will, even if it was never there.

Psychosomatic effects on hearing are quite dramatic.

If I put two speakers in front of you, telling you one is made by DynAudio and costs $2500, and the other is made by DongYuan china and costs $3.75 you will, everytime, tell me the "Dyn" sounds better...even if, in reality, they are identical speakers.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0