E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Seeking Advice: Significant Rearend damage

04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
BostonLogan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

Seeking Advice: Significant Rearend damage

Hey Guys - I was hoping I could get some advice as to what to do about my precious car. I was on the way to work Wednesday morning, waiting to get off my exit and out of no where I got rearended by some d-bag not paying attention in a Kia Sedona. He was going quite fast and both air-bags deployed in his car, he and his passenger went to the hospital, but I believe they are ok. I am ok - but in quite a lot of pain. To add insult to injury, a 335i crashed into the back of the Sedona after he hit me!

My car is in rough shape. Bumper, trunk, rear-quarter panels, all damaged. Rear doors jammed shut and do not open, so they may need replacement too. I am sure a lot of the undercarriage was damaged in the back too (wheel arches, exhaust, not to mention alignment etc). I think I recall seeing a "4x4" warning indicator go off before I got out of the car - a new one to me.

I am scared to death that the car will never be the same. How do you guys recommend I go about the repairs? Bring it to my dealer? The insurance companies have a list of approved vendors but none of them are BMW experts. Does anyone have any they would recommend in the Boston area - cosmetic repairs is one thing, but the mechanics and engineering is so much more important to get the car performing back to tip top shape. I have also heard the BMW Collision Centers do a good job, but do we have any in Boston?
There is also the issue of having a significant accident on the carfax report. I'd NEVER by a car that has had any kind of significant repairs....

I'd say there is a 50-60% chance it may be a total loss, not too sure but I am just trying to prepare for the worst.

Any advice you guys might have would be HUGELY appreciated.

BTW - the accident was on 128N on Wednesday morning if you were stuck in the traffic it caused, I apologize - blame it on the d-bag in the Sedona.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
BostonLogan
Registered
United_States
Rep

Here is a picture of the damage. My BMW held up real well, but I know there is a lot more damage than we can see...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Damn that looks painful. Had something similar done to my E60 525i in India, where a dumper truck rear ended me - blind motherf*cker. Sorry to see that OP, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it doesn't seem too bad. My E60 was repaired into new condition by BMW and it drives just fine. Although I don't know how bad yours is.. Anyways goodluck with the repairs.

It just goes to show that we get what we pay for - German Engineering. Our cars are strong built and hold up well in these situations.
      04-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Force them to total it... Anything I've learned with BMW's is that accidents destroy the resale value. Start shopping for another one!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Wow, rough. Glad you're okay.

How do you have a 08 325xi? Import? If it's actually an 06, it's almost definitely totaled.
      04-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
BostonLogan
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmcolor View Post
Wow, rough. Glad you're okay.

How do you have a 08 325xi? Import? If it's actually an 06, it's almost definitely totaled.
Ha, good catch - Its definitely a 328xi - these meds have me seriously flying high!!! It's an 08 with 33k miles on it, will be a close...

Has anyone had any experience with the BMW Collision center in Ashland?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

i actually saw this!!! drove by and wondered if it was anyone from here, sorry to see another BMW has fallen victim to non-aware driving, what the hell was this guy doing texting ?. glad your ok. If your talking about the herb chambers one in ashland, my next door neighbor had his 750i fixed there , and there wasn't much left on his passenger side. Both doors wouldn't open the rear quarter panels the whole nine yards (a car carrier hit him) . and you would never know that he had been in a accident now. good luck !!!
      04-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
E92ML
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335xi Coupe

Dang! I'm really sorry to see that. I hope you get everything fixed

Performance: JB4 ECU, CP-E DP's, WW BMS Meth Kit, AR meth elbow, BMS DCI, AFE Intake Scoops,
Exterior: Enkruez 19" H8R, H&R Spacers, Aero Lip, Tint, ACS Roof Spoiler, HID AE's, HID Fogs, Black Grills, Sport Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

I have always had great work done at Dick's Auto Body in Somerville. http://www.dicksautobody.com/
Ask for Frank, he has the most experience and can guide you correctly.

By the way, I live west of Boston and I still make the trip to go there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I have always had great work done at Dick's Auto Body in Somerville. http://www.dicksautobody.com/
Ask for Frank, he has the most experience and can guide you correctly.

By the way, I live west of Boston and I still make the trip to go there.
I've also had work done at Dick's and was happy with the repair. They do a lot of high-end cars.

Hopefully your insurance will total your car so you won't have to deal with issues when you try to sell it.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I just got my car back from Dick's Monday. I had front bumper and driver's side headlight damage. No structural damage though. School bus decided to take a left hand turn into my lane. Unfortunately I cant say I love Dick's. Frank was very helpful but there were a couple things they left out. One being missing a screw for the wheel wall. Second they forgot to tighten a screw to plastic piece in front of the hood latch for the air intake duct or whatever you call it. I might not have not known either of those things for months if I wasn't putting in difft fog bulbs and air scoops into my car. On a positive note paint match was spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etek View Post
I just got my car back from Dick's Monday. I had front bumper and driver's side headlight damage. No structural damage though. School bus decided to take a left hand turn into my lane. Unfortunately I cant say I love Dick's. Frank was very helpful but there were a couple things they left out. One being missing a screw for the wheel wall. Second they forgot to tighten a screw to plastic piece in front of the hood latch for the air intake duct or whatever you call it. I might not have not known either of those things for months if I wasn't putting in difft fog bulbs and air scoops into my car. On a positive note paint match was spot on.
I also used to use Dick's (I can walk there), but the last time they repaired my previous car the job wasn't as nice as the previous two times. I used to deal with Sal, but he left about 5 years ago. Additionally, a friend who I referred there got his front bumper resprayed and it began peeling less than 6 months later.

I have heard very good things about Mike's Autobody in Malden, but I have yet to use them personally.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

I just had my 1 year old X5 done at Dick's and it came out perfect. Body work and paint match (including the right amount of orange peel) was perfect.
Appreciate 0