E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JLA cleansweep

10-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
mpartric
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

JLA cleansweep

Anyone used a JLA cleansweep or similar device for aftermarket stereo options? I was thinking cleansweep, Polk amps, Polk or JLA speakers, and SWS8. Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpartric View Post
Anyone used a JLA cleansweep or similar device for aftermarket stereo options? I was thinking cleansweep, Polk amps, Polk or JLA speakers, and SWS8. Opinions?
I will use the Cleansweep in my M3 Premium sound system in a couple of weeks, following this excellent Logic7 upgrade example: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=28

I'm going to keep all the OEM speakers in my case, as they are of a higher quality than the Logic7's, but the addition of a trunk sub (undetermined yet). Will post my results once it is complete...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

I have read a LOT of reviews about the Cleansweap, the 3Sixty, the H600 and H701. While I have read positive reviews about each, I have read more negative reviews indicating that they are all seem to be very flawed in at least one significant way. ie: must use an external knob to control volume levels, significant ground noise due to not using optical, etc.

So far I think the only potential "perfect" solution is to use the AudioControl DQL-8 or maybe hope that the JBL MS-8 lacks these flaws.

[EDIT] The post above makes the JL method look pretty promising. Thats definitely worth looking into.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn View Post
I have read a LOT of reviews about the Cleansweap, the 3Sixty, the H600 and H701. While I have read positive reviews about each, I have read more negative reviews indicating that they are all seem to be very flawed in at least one significant way. ie: must use an external knob to control volume levels, significant ground noise due to not using optical, etc.

So far I think the only potential "perfect" solution is to use the AudioControl DQL-8 or maybe hope that the JBL MS-8 lacks these flaws.

[EDIT] The post above makes the JL method look pretty promising. Thats definitely worth looking into.
If the OEM amp is analog (standard OEM systems) there's no need for any of those "de-EQ" processors. However, if the OEM amp is digital then there's no other choice in the USA so far but to use these processors to upgrade the whole OEM audio setup.

At least in Europe the OEM HU/CCC can be reprogrammed to swtch the speaker outputs from digital to analog by changing the Vehicle Order (VO), that way no "de-EQ" processor will be required at all regardless of the OEM amp installed, but it seems that here in the USA nobody has been able to do it thru a dealer. I tried at two local dealers to no avail, and to my surprise they knew what I was trying to do because they had tried before to change VOs and they could not...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep

So it sounds most people are using the OEM amp then flattening the signal to the other amps?
Why not just go from the OEM HU to the aftermarket processor?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn View Post
So it sounds most people are using the OEM amp then flattening the signal to the other amps?
Why not just go from the OEM HU to the aftermarket processor?
Not here in this forum, IMO... if the OEM system is analog (non-Logic7, non-Premium Sound) then the OEM HU/CCC analog outputs are full frequency and fairly flat in response, so there's no need of any channel summing or "flattening" processor. So most of the forum members here simply bypass the OEM amp and connect aftermarket amps directly to the OEM HU/CCC.

If the system is digital (Logic7 and Premium Sound) then there is no way in the USA yet to remove the OEM amp from the system, so a " summing and flattening" processor is required at the analog outputs of that OEM amp to re-create a full and faily flat analog signal to be used with aftermarket amps.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Not here in this forum, IMO... if the OEM system is analog (non-Logic7, non-Premium Sound) then the OEM HU/CCC analog outputs are full frequency and fairly flat in response, so there's no need of any channel summing or "flattening" processor. So most of the forum members here simply bypass the OEM amp and connect aftermarket amps directly to the OEM HU/CCC.

If the system is digital (Logic7 and Premium Sound) then there is no way in the USA yet to remove the OEM amp from the system, so a " summing and flattening" processor is required at the analog outputs of that OEM amp to re-create a full and faily flat analog signal to be used with aftermarket amps.
Thats a great explanation, thank you.
Appreciate 0