E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Aux connector / Ipod lead?

06-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
Tizzy
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport (E90)

Question Aux connector / Ipod lead?

Newbie apologies if this has already been asked before, although it didn't appear on the search.

As with all 3 series, my on order 320d Msport will have the 3mm aux jack connection in the armrest, I didn't order the USB connector as I had other options I wanted more (Prof. Nav & Xenons!) and I was trying to keep the price to a level within my co. car allowance.

So question is, to connect an Ipod Nano via the aux socket, what lead do I need and does this lead come with an Ipod or do I need get one separately?
I guess without the full interface the Ipod tracks list will not display on the Nav screen?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
ROCKETRON
320D M-sport le-mans blue
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M-Sport le-mans blue

you just need the lead with a 3.5mm jack each end and it becomes an aux input so you need to set hi-fi to aux on i-drive. You are right you will not have control of i pod on the screen.

E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
Newbie apologies if this has already been asked before, although it didn't appear on the search.

As with all 3 series, my on order 320d Msport will have the 3mm aux jack connection in the armrest, I didn't order the USB connector as I had other options I wanted more (Prof. Nav & Xenons!) and I was trying to keep the price to a level within my co. car allowance.

So question is, to connect an Ipod Nano via the aux socket, what lead do I need and does this lead come with an Ipod or do I need get one separately?
I guess without the full interface the Ipod tracks list will not display on the Nav screen?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
You can run a 3.5mm phono lead from the headphone outlet to the aux in. These are available from currys, B&Q and on amazon for a couple of quid.

In the end I got a belkin one from currys for about £12 because the really cheap ones tend to mess up after a bit.

However, I would recommend that you also get a monster low profile charger:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=120584&partner=froogle

You still need the phono lead, but this extra cable charges your ipod and let's you use the 'line out' via the dock connection on the bottom of the ipod. This means that the sound bypasses the ipods pre-amp and ultimately means better sound quality when connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
xrrr
a.k.a Simon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 330i M Sport

Garage List
If you want the Rolls-Royce iPod adapter you can go for the Dension ice>Link Gateway 500.

It lets you control the iPod from the stereo controls and seems to let you watch iPod videos on the car screen. I don't know anyone who has got one mind!

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

They are around £300 excluding fitting.

Isn't there an E90 compatible BMW OEM MOST iPod connector these days? I assume you don't have the USB connector.

[Join my E92 Flickr Photo Group. Go on you know you want to!]
Appreciate 0