E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Disconnecting the battery before installing amp and subwoofer

09-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Disconnecting the battery before installing amp and subwoofer

Hey guys, quick questions.

Do I have to disconnect the battery before I attempt to install an amp and a subwoofer?

If so, does anybody know what's the best way to disconnect the battery in a 335? I was looking in the trunk this weekend and couldn't figure out where to put the power wire. ntpcrew13 (Ed) had shown me how he installed his, but the battery for the 335 looks different than the battery in the 330. I tried to see if there was space to put the power wire through but don't think it will fit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

I guess to be 100% safe you can, but I've never disconnected the battery when installing systems. If you did something wrong you'll pop the fuse that you should have installed between the amp and battery terminal.
      09-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
I guess to be 100% safe you can, but I've never disconnected the battery when installing systems. If you did something wrong you'll pop the fuse that you should have installed between the amp and battery terminal.
Thanks! That's a good point. Now, I just need to know what's the best way to apply the power wire to the battery. Like I said before, ntpcrew13 (Ed) showed me where he installed his power wire, but for some reason, I don't think I can fit the power wire through. It seems that the battery in the 335 is different than the one in the 330.

Here's a pic of where ntpcrew13 installed his power wire. I would have done the same but the wire cannot go through that section like in the pic.

Anybody installed a system in the 335?

Thanks!

Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
hey scott..

i disconnected the battery before i did my install. if you post a pic of your battery setup, i can help you out, but i think it should be exactly like mine.

the picture you posted above is from another member on this forum that i used while communicating with him. here is an actually picture of my battery. i just slid the black block over a little and then i placed the wire eyelet over the battery terminal. i then slide the black block back over. i hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpcrew13 View Post
hey scott..

i disconnected the battery before i did my install. if you post a pic of your battery setup, i can help you out, but i think it should be exactly like mine.

the picture you posted above is from another member on this forum that i used while communicating with him. here is an actually picture of my battery. i just slid the black block over a little and then i placed the wire eyelet over the battery terminal. i then slide the black block back over. i hope this helps.

Thanks Ed!

You see where I placed the RED oval in the pic? Does that whole piece come out? I couldn't seem to find out how to get the power wire in there. Seems like there was no space. Btw, how did you disconnect the battery? By doing so, did you have to reset all your presets on the radio?

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List

disconnect the negative terminal that i have circled in red. i basically disconnected and wrapped it in a thick towel, so it wouldnt touch anything.

i have circle in green a tab that u need to lift up a little and move to the right. you just slide it slowly and just move it a little. there is a tab on the other side jsut like it. you will then ahve access to place your wire over the postive terminal. you can then slide hte black thing back into place. i am not 100% sure if this is the correct way, but this is the way i did it. also do not connect the negative terminal until you are totally done with the whole install.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
installmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330I - Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Thanks Ed!

You see where I placed the RED oval in the pic? Does that whole piece come out? I couldn't seem to find out how to get the power wire in there. Seems like there was no space. Btw, how did you disconnect the battery? By doing so, did you have to reset all your presets on the radio?

I will have Qlogic send me a picture of where i connected his system to the main car battery on his 335i. unfortunately i only took pictures of the second battery i installed on the driver's side. I will send you the pic. the 335 battery is a little different than the pic shown in this thread, and it is actually much easier to connect too. only have to remove the 1/2" bolt and put the ring terminal from the wire down before re-installing the bolt. you clip a small piece of plastic that isn't needed to get the wire to sit flat, but it is as simple as that, just clip the plastic and put it on the bolt. will get pic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpcrew13 View Post

disconnect the negative terminal that i have circled in red. i basically disconnected and wrapped it in a thick towel, so it wouldnt touch anything.

i have circle in green a tab that u need to lift up a little and move to the right. you just slide it slowly and just move it a little. there is a tab on the other side jsut like it. you will then ahve access to place your wire over the postive terminal. you can then slide hte black thing back into place. i am not 100% sure if this is the correct way, but this is the way i did it. also do not connect the negative terminal until you are totally done with the whole install.
Thanks Ed! I learn more and more about the car everyday. lol!

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by installmd View Post
I will have Qlogic send me a picture of where i connected his system to the main car battery on his 335i. unfortunately i only took pictures of the second battery i installed on the driver's side. I will send you the pic. the 335 battery is a little different than the pic shown in this thread, and it is actually much easier to connect too. only have to remove the 1/2" bolt and put the ring terminal from the wire down before re-installing the bolt. you clip a small piece of plastic that isn't needed to get the wire to sit flat, but it is as simple as that, just clip the plastic and put it on the bolt. will get pic tomorrow.
Thanks a lot!

Will be waiting for your pics.

Appreciate 0