E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ultimate Racing DP's Warranty?

08-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

Ultimate Racing DP's Warranty?

To UR,

I copy/pasted the text directly from your site. Knowing this, are the DP's made in-house? If so, 5 year warranty is very good!

Warranty
Ultimate Racing offers a 5-year warranty on our quality and workmanship. What this includes are parts that are made in-house by Ultimate Racing (i.e. Manifold, Intercooler Piping, Welding, etc). If for any reason these parts should fail within this 5-year period, Ultimate Racing will fix or replace the part free of charge (shipping and handling fees extra). All other parts (i.e. Turbo, Wastegate, etc) must fall under their respective manufacturer's warranty. If repairs are attempted by anyone other than Ultimate Racing or the respective manufacturer the warranty will be voided.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Racing
We warranty all of our in-house made products for 5-years against defect.
From reading the other thread, I'd guess that means yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, Evo VIII, WRX, STi, 350Z

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335Xi

How much will it cost to ship items back to Canada from the states? I was trying to ship a mountain bike up there and it was extremely expensive because of the customs fees etc. What about the cost of uninstall / re-install are you guys going to help out with that?

I am looking for a set of down pipes and you guys are definitely offering yours at a great price but I am really concerned with durability. I don’t want the hassle of taking my car to the shop swapping out the pipe for the OEM one sending it away and swapping them back out once it gets fixed.

2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
1994 Ford Probe SE* *Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 335TT View Post
How much will it cost to ship items back to Canada from the states? I was trying to ship a mountain bike up there and it was extremely expensive because of the customs fees etc. What about the cost of uninstall / re-install are you guys going to help out with that?

I am looking for a set of down pipes and you guys are definitely offering yours at a great price but I am really concerned with durability. I don’t want the hassle of taking my car to the shop swapping out the pipe for the OEM one sending it away and swapping them back out once it gets fixed.
+1
      08-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

What do you guys expect? You tell me one manufacturer that warranties their product and then pays for you to uninstall, reinstall, ship, pays customs and then sends you on a cruise for two to the Bahamas while they are at it?

If you buy any AM part, say some Bilstein coilovers like I had on my e46, and one of the shocks goes bad like happened to me, you are going to pay to get them to the manufacturer for warranty repair/replacement. Do you think bilstein paid me to have them removed from my car, paid to ship to them and then paid to have them re-installed? Of course not, thats not how warranties work. They repaired them and paid to ship them back to me and that was it.

It is against defects in manufacturing that lead to failure during normal use. UR is warrantying these things for 5 years which is way above and beyond what most parts sellers offer. Unless this is bizarro world I would say that the buyer is going to be responsible for getting them back to UR. It sounds like you are very worried about the possibility of failure so maybe you should be looking in a different direction for DPs.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep

I had a charmglow grill that broke about 4 months ago it had a 5 year warranty….. I just finished fighting with the people at home depot to return it because I had been waiting over 3 months for replacement parts. My whole point is the warranty isnt worth much if it cant be used. That is why I asked about shipping to Canada from the US. If it costs me $175 to send it back to them and takes 6 weeks because of customs what is the point of even having a warranty.

How hard would it be to send out another set of pipes and a box with paid postage to return the other pipes in? If they are confident in there craftsmanship they should have no problem paying to have there faulty products shipped back to them. Why should it cost me a dime if they mess up while making there product?

2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
What do you guys expect? You tell me one manufacturer that warranties their product and then pays for you to uninstall, reinstall, ship, pays customs and then sends you on a cruise for two to the Bahamas while they are at it?

If you buy any AM part, say some Bilstein coilovers like I had on my e46, and one of the shocks goes bad like happened to me, you are going to pay to get them to the manufacturer for warranty repair/replacement. Do you think bilstein paid me to have them removed from my car, paid to ship to them and then paid to have them re-installed? Of course not, thats not how warranties work. They repaired them and paid to ship them back to me and that was it.

It is against defects in manufacturing that lead to failure during normal use. UR is warrantying these things for 5 years which is way above and beyond what most parts sellers offer. Unless this is bizarro world I would say that the buyer is going to be responsible for getting them back to UR. It sounds like you are very worried about the possibility of failure so maybe you should be looking in a different direction for DPs.
+1

warranties don't cover shipping costs if the part in question failed; the only time they should EVER reimburse you shipping is if they shipped you the wrong item or it got damaged via shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

anyone got these in use yet and if so how do you like em ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How hard would it be to send out another set of pipes and a box with paid postage to return the other pipes in? If they are confident in there craftsmanship they should have no problem paying to have there faulty products shipped back to them. Why should it cost me a dime if they mess up while making there product?
that is not the way it works at least not in the US.

that's like saying if your 2004 Ford truck broke down in the middle of the desert due to a warrantied part (i.e. cracked axle), and having Ford reimburse you for the $1000 tow fee back to the dealership. yeah right! you incur all the costs EXCEPT for the cost of the replacement part.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
You guys are bringing up interesting topics. I was thinking the same thing when i saw this warranty claim.

Toyota doesn't have the best warranty but do they really need one? not really. I don't want to bring up Toyota talk but I've taken enough quality assurance classes on Lean and 6 sigma to know what a great system they have. People care about the quality of the vehicle and not the warranty when they buy the car.

I used to buy pep boys lifetime warranty brake shoes for my older cars and they were complete crap! I had to take the shoes back twice in less than 6 months because they were defective. I did the work myself so i didn't waste money on labor, but I wasted the time I spent on it. I would have rather gotten a better quality pad with a warranty that wasn't as good if you know what I mean.
Sometimes I feel that companies like pep boys get you to purchase the product hoping they install them because they warranty the product but not the labor.

I'm not saying that UR downpipes are this way. The quality looks great. I've seen the welds on their exhaust and they are awesome!

All I'm saying is--Don't think to much about a warranty; think about the quality.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep

I just thought this was funny.....

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Ted Nelson, Customer: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Im not saying the UR DPs are bad in any way I am just saying that just because they have a warranty I dont feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The US to Canada shipping times and costs concern me. It is a new product and now one know for sure how good its going to hold up. The things have like 20+ hand welded joints who says that there welder isnt going to be on a 3 day meth binge when he gets to my order. I dont want to get stuck with a set of messed up DPs and have to spend a ton of money sending them back.

2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*

Last edited by AJ M2 comp; 08-07-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayno View Post
that is not the way it works at least not in the US.

that's like saying if your 2004 Ford truck broke down in the middle of the desert due to a warrantied part (i.e. cracked axle), and having Ford reimburse you for the $1000 tow fee back to the dealership. yeah right! you incur all the costs EXCEPT for the cost of the replacement part.
As I stated above I am more interested in the warranty exchange. I dont see why its so far fetched for them to pay for the shipping. Would ford charge you to have your cracked axle sent back to Detroit for inspection? I dont think so?

2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

Quote:
I just thought this was funny.....

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Ted Nelson, Customer: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Im not saying the UR DPs are bad in any way I am just saying that just because they have a warranty I dont feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The US to Canada shipping times and costs concern me. It is a new product and now one know for sure how good its going to hold up. The things have like 20+ hand welded joints who says that there welder isnt going to be on a 3 day meth binge when he gets to my order. I dont want to get stuck with a set of messed up DPs and have to spend a ton of money sending them back.
Tommy likey wingy
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
mayno
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As I stated above I am more interested in the warranty exchange. I dont see why its so far fetched for them to pay for the shipping. Would ford charge you to have your cracked axle sent back to Detroit for inspection? I dont think so?
you're the totally missing the point.

a warranty is a cheap insurance for a defective part or a part that didn't perform as advertised FOR a specific length of time (could be a lifetime)

name me one company/product that offers a warranty where they pay for shipping, and I'm not talking about an "extended service plan" where you the buyer pays extra for it (i.e. getting a Dell laptop service plan where you can ship it to them at Dell's expense or a technician comes to your place and fixes it or replaces it).

lastly, why the hell would Ford charge someone to have a cracked axle inspected. they don't care...they'll either toss it or recycle it.

it broke...it's under warranty...they replace it...you drive home. what is there not to get?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
If that is your position on aftermarket parts and warrantee then stay stock. This car modification business is simply not for you. When you modify, some things are bound to go wrong whether it would be on a small or large scale.
Appreciate 0