E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Child car seat

04-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Child car seat

As above, Iam after one for my year old son.

Something which is good up until hes 3. My car has isofix child seat points so it has to be Isofix seat. It has to be real comfy where a child can sleep on a long journeys.

Any good source to get them at a reasonable price would be great.

Please advise
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

While seaching for one I have come across the fact that there are 2 different parts involved in an isofix child seat, i.e, Isofix base and the child seat which fits onto it. There are quite a few Isofix bases (maxi cosi) on ebay going for around 80-90quids but I dont know what sort of age group they are for or are they same for every age group but just require a different child seat on it ?

Please advise as I might have to get one in a day or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

I hear the Recaro Young expert paired with the ISOfix is good seat, interested to follow this thread as I will require swapping my group 0 soonish
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Britax Duoplus Isofix from memory is what we always used. Not a two part seat but one piece that clips securely into the car. They are great solid seats and quite heavy, think we ended up with 3 or 3 of them with 2 kids and 2 cars. They are in the attic and although carriage could be expensive I would be willing to sell. None of them have been damaged in any way and never in an accident. Cost about £200 new from memory.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Hi - I use a Recaro Young Sport for my lad - he is almost 2 now and fits in it very well. The headrest is adjustable for height and as he/she grows, padding/bolsters gradually gets removed making the seat 'larger'.

It finishes up as booster in the end.

http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-...port.php#image

It isn't ISOFIX though, but is quite light so easy to take in and out if required. It secures in VERY well with the seatbelt using a clamp type fixing to hold the belt tight. Had a few of these 'type' of seats over the years and this by far excels them all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
While seaching for one I have come across the fact that there are 2 different parts involved in an isofix child seat, i.e, Isofix base and the child seat which fits onto it. There are quite a few Isofix bases (maxi cosi) on ebay going for around 80-90quids but I dont know what sort of age group they are for or are they same for every age group but just require a different child seat on it ?

Please advise as I might have to get one in a day or two.
As far as I know the Maxi-Cosy bases are designed for the carrycot style seats - we used one that came with our Mothercare 'My-4' travel system - the carrycot would snap onto the pushcair chassis and then unclip and snap onto one of the Maxi-Cosi bases (we had one in each car) - My lad had grown out of this seat by about 10 months though as he was too long and almost too heavy for it.

We have used the Recaro since then, and it has plenty of life in it yet - the next step will be to remove the padding from the seat base so he has more width when required. The headrest can be removed also and when he just needs a booster seat just the base can be used.

Problem is I bought an Terracotta coloured one to match my Fox Red leather! When the car gets swapped, so may the seat!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Britax Duoplus Isofix from memory is what we always used. Not a two part seat but one piece that clips securely into the car. They are great solid seats and quite heavy, think we ended up with 3 or 3 of them with 2 kids and 2 cars. They are in the attic and although carriage could be expensive I would be willing to sell. None of them have been damaged in any way and never in an accident. Cost about £200 new from memory.
Davyk, Have you got any pictures of the said child seats ?

Might be intrested.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
As far as I know the Maxi-Cosy bases are designed for the carrycot style seats - we used one that came with our Mothercare 'My-4' travel system - the carrycot would snap onto the pushcair chassis and then unclip and snap onto one of the Maxi-Cosi bases (we had one in each car) - My lad had grown out of this seat by about 10 months though as he was too long and almost too heavy for it.

We have used the Recaro since then, and it has plenty of life in it yet - the next step will be to remove the padding from the seat base so he has more width when required. The headrest can be removed also and when he just needs a booster seat just the base can be used.

Problem is I bought an Terracotta coloured one to match my Fox Red leather! When the car gets swapped, so may the seat!
Love the Recaro and I think they are well worth the money as maxi cosy are about double the price and the age limit isn't like Recaro's either.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Can try to take a few snaps later. The harness in the seat has many different positions to allow for growth. We used these from just under age 1 right up until they went into the next stage seat at around age 3 to 4 depending on size.
If your car has Isofix points you would be mad not to use the points, they just seem so much more secure than simply relying on the belt to do all the work.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

We have the Maxi Cosi Priorifix - quite heavy but gets one of best safety ratings from Which.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Checked the attic, have 2 Britax Duo Plus Isofix and a Maxi Cosi, think its a Priorifix as mentioned above but need to check its name. It is Isofix as well and quite heavy as it has the big stabalising bar that goes down to the floor of the car.

Have some pics but need help in knowing how to post here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Some pics here. The Maxicosi is the final two pics, other pics are the Britax, there are two of these in slightly different fabrics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I use the Maxi Cosi Tobi in my E92. This was the car seat that had the features we wanted such as being able to recline whilst child is in it and being able to extend it as they grow. But most importantly it was recommended as the car seat that fits properly in the rear seats of the E92 by Mothercare and an independent shop.

Get some ideas from the forum but get some expert advice before buying.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the pictures Davyk, You have a PM
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

I got a kiddy comfort Pro a German brand which is also rebranded by BMW. It seems to be the best of forward facing seats. Iso fix is only rated up to 18kg and anything heavier the seatbelt is safer.

Worth looking at
http://www.kiddy.de/en/kiddy-child-s...um-safety.html
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #16
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Best thing to do is go to mothercare and try different seats which is comfy for your son. Note down which brand and code number if possible and you can get it from www.kiddicare.com they do internet pricing and also free delivery...try to get the 9months to 4yrs which will avoid the hassle of changing it in between...also has the facility to slide when the kid is sleeping
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #17
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Done this many times before but we went for a rear facer for our now 2.5 year old. Bit of a squeeze in an E91 but the safety benefits are worth it. I did hours of research and ended up importing one from Sweden - EVERYONE abroad uses these sort of seats and they have proved to be a lot safer.

This is the seat not quite adjusted properly (now got it set up better and a protective mat under it too!):

Britax Multi-tech:

Having said that it won't fit in the 110 so we have a Britax Evolva in that - our passive safety system being that a 110 is bloody slow!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #18
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
All depends how tall your front seat passengers are - at 6'2" I would certainly not fit in the front passenger seat of your car safely with that seat fitted
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #19
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The seat is two notches from fully back but it does need to be fairly upright. And why would you be in the passenger seat anyway?

Got an ISOFIX Maxi Cosi Cabriofix for the little(er) one - can't fault it and also does non ISOFIX in the Landy without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
As above, Iam after one for my year old son.

Something which is good up until hes 3. My car has isofix child seat points so it has to be Isofix seat. It has to be real comfy where a child can sleep on a long journeys.

Any good source to get them at a reasonable price would be great.

Please advise
Mate, you need to go to somewhere like a big Mothercare and let them show you all the options - the staff are great and it's a real minefield otherwise, its all based on weight not age.

Are you in Manchester? The big Mothercare on Central Retail Park in town on the ring road (next to Argos and Toys R Us) is a really good one.

Take your little boy to try them out thats essential as all kids and seats are different! They'll help you try them in your car too for free, then you can just buy the one you like elsewhere if you really want.

And secondly don't ever buy any from fleebay or any used seats unless you know the history. If they've been in a crash they should be destroyed as they are weakened and could fail if in another crash.

Maxi Cosi Tobi is brilliant, comfy, high up so they can see out the windows, 'pop up' straps that don't get caught under the child, fully reclinable with one hand by an adult reaching into the back (ideal for long trips when you don't want to stop) not isofix, but still perfectly secure and a lot lighter than heavy metal framed isofix seats.

Last edited by doughboy; 04-15-2011 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #21
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

i have the recaro young sport plus and isofix base.
compared to the maxi cosi prior xp which i was looking at too, the recaro has more cushioning and head support when they are smaller in size like my little dude. having owned it, what i don't like about it is the straps aren't thick enough and the buckles can spin round and that when the little guy isn't in it, the base can vibrate and rattle on broken surface, due to the tilt is done by the base of the seat.

maxi cosi prior xp, is lighter and easier to use and has a easier tilt and swivel, although not as much padding around head.

i'm now looking for another to go in second car, i do like the xp as it's light can the isofix is fixed with seat and can be used with seat belt. the recaro is heavier and the seat itself can be used with seat belt aswell.

for non isofix, the maxi cosi tobi with the advanced harness looks and feels good and also sits high.
      04-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #22
sattapaal
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE Saloon

Garage List
2007 330d SE  [0.00]
does the recaro have a "tilting" so the seat can allow for sleeping easier?
Appreciate 0