E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Would I be bored?

07-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Would I be bored?

The PCP on my car is up in December. Crap time to change a car and the circumstances that led to me getting mine in December in the first place were out of my control. Ideally I'd change early, but only if I can settle the outstanding finance without taking a major hit. Regardless of that I've been considering a number of options.

I'd pretty much decided on a Scirocco R as my next car. Then plans were put on hold due to a combination of things and I started to rethink. I love the E92but I feel like a change, so for the moment another BMW is not on the cards.

Scirocco R still holds my interest, because it's different, looks great in the right colour and will be quite rare. But is it overpriced for what it is? Not quite convinced it will feel like a 30k car...but I do like it!

Always wanted a Porsche 911, but will put this on hold for a couple of years I think. It would mean changing Ali's car to something more practical to enable loading equipment for gigs and the running costs don't sit well with a 2 year pay freeze.

Audi A5/S5. Having seen and heard Helen's S5, I could happily buy one, but the fuel consumption doesn't make sense with my 5 day sitting in traffic for 4 miles. So I looked at the A5. A baffling array of choices and some cracking used cars in the market. Thing is I've always been a petrol fan...but everything points to the big diesel as being the better car.

I've never owned a diesel, only driven one and have been a fan of manual, high revving petrol engines for years. So...would I be bored? Or would the diesel win me over? There are several high spec 58/09 plates out there with reasonable mileage. I only drive about 8-10k a year and my daily commute is totally urban.

Thoughts?

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
if you're concerned about fuel, would the scirocco R not be bad aswell?

For £30k....I'd pick the S5......But then again, the fuel economy might be an issue...

Depends also, it might not be as bad....some people manage to get good mpgs and some don't....and unfortunately, I don't....

so if u get a hot hatch or a sports coupe, and drive extremely well, u mite be able to get decent fuel economy...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

The S5 sportback comes with the 3litre TFSI, 333 bhp, sensible emmissions and a rrp of £39K, interesting mix of load carrying and performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

RE the diesel dilemma: I went from a vtec to TDI, totally different ends of the spectrum! For me, both had pros and cons but I rarely regretted the change. On the road, the delivery of a diesel is more usable (for the driving I do) so I made more use of the TDIs best bits than I did with the vtec (civic type-r).

The BMW derv removes nearly all of my old VAG TDIs cons - this is why I stayed with diesel after selling my Leon TDI even though my mileage is low.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I've never owned a diesel, only driven one and have been a fan of manual, high revving petrol engines for years. So...would I be bored? Or would the diesel win me over?
Can you get an extended test drive or find another way to spend a good 24 hours with a diesel car?

I would definitely be bored by a modern diesel automatic.

In many ways a big diesel makes complete sense. If you have to go on a long motorway journey there is no better car. But ... I still haven't driven an automatic car that changes gear the way that I want it to. The BMW box is very clever, but if you plant the throttle there is always a delay. Big diesels are also a bit one dimensional for me.

By contrast, in a big petrol engined manual car every journey can be fun. On a summers day winding the windows down to hear the engine is lovely, the directness between throttle inputs, rpm and the surge of power feels tight, controlled and gives you a nice 'sports car' buzz.

For me a big diesel has very few faults. On a sensible level it doesn't lack anything. My car has quite a few flaws (mpg isn't great for one), but on that occasion where a boring journey becomes a fun experience I forgive everything.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Your driving profile may not be appropriate for modern diesels with DPFs. If you do a lot of urban crawling with short journeys the DPF has a tendency to clog up which can ultimately cause significant engine issues which may not be covered by the warranty. I believe that all the Audi CR diesels will be DPF fitted.

I also like the A5 coupe/sport back/cab. In my eyes they look better than the E92/93.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Why not decide on a car and have a good search around - then wait for a couple of days before Xmas and see if there are deals to be had?

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

You'll always get a good deal in December.

As for the mpg, dont think its that relevant given the miles you do. Depreciation will massively outweigh it.

As for the A5/S5 - they look great in the right spec, but the pedals offsets are poor - you'd be best off with auto, and better for you in traffic
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Problem is you already have the best of both worlds the 330i.

I think a diesel will bore you and it isn't suited for your mileage. Regardless of the diesel engine you will always miss the revs and engine note on a blast.

Personally I think the sciroccos are overpriced but i would definitely be looking at a petrol.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Eh up Gav!

I tend to agree with Peter tbh in as far as the DPF issue with a diesel. As for a bigger petrol engine and your four miles of sitting in traffic, hmm can see your point, however as Paul pointed out your annual mileage isn't a lot. I do circa 10/11k p.a. and on my 22 mile round trip daily commute I seem to be stuck on or around 19 mpg. That is predominately constantly moving traffic and dual carriageway and about 1.5 miles of urban.

Good excuse for a long run though to bump up the mpg.

I do like the Scirocco and any ideas of residuals at the mo?

Paul is also correct re. the positioning of the A5/S5 pedals and when I first drove a manual S5 I thought eh, what's going on here then. Drove it for a few miles and then bugger me, getting back into the Porsche had to compensate again. Different cars, different arrangement. Point being, get in mine now and guess what, feels totally normal - the old thing of the brain compensating.

Anyhow, you know me and can guess I'm going to say go on some serious test drives, and decide on a compromise between common sense and overall fun.............but for me, your annual mileage would steer me more towards the fun factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Gav,

You know I think the Scirocco R (unlike the Scirocco) is a fail. It's too much for a car with very few differences over the GTi (or whatever they call the 'normal' 2.0 turbo.)

Having been in some bizarre car choices myself I can't blame you for whatever you do... But if there is a Porsche itch, why not a Cayman or Boxster S? Both cheaper and slightly less practical than the 911 meaning you could free up monies to get a better car for Ali.

Failing that, with your roud trip so short... A larger engined petrol makes sense... Right?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies and interesting comments. It's always good to get different perspectives.

TBH the heart says that I would not be happy with a diesel, good as they are. As NFS quite rightly says, winding the window down on a summer's day, just to hear the engine not, is something that I still find myself doing...and Ali laughs everytime I do the same thing in a tunnel!

I was trying to put my sensible head on! Having said that, I may test drive a diesel just to be sure.

As far as a Porsche goes Matt, the Cayman S I drove was fantastic. Roadster/Cabriolet is not for me. If I got a Porsche though, I've promised myself it will be a 911, so I'll stick with putting that on hold.

I take your point about the Scirroco R, but having researched it a bit more, it's diverted off the main Scirooco line quite early during the manufacturing process and there's quite a lot that is different about it, aside from the interior and external features. Also I have no intention of buying new and there are some appearing on Autotrader with very low mileage and a more realistic price. No idea of predicted residuals on these though.

I still really like the A5 and will have to drive a few variants, including the S5 What's the best mpg you manage on a longer run Helen?

Cheers

Gav

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
What's the best mpg you manage on a longer run Helen?
By the time I'd reached the Ramada Jarvis the other Saturday, OBC was reading 24.2 mpg. The absolute best I've ever seen is 28 mpg that was miles and miles of trundling through those 50 mph average speed check shite on the motorway. Overall as an average on a long run I'd say around 23 mpg tbh Gav, maybe it would do more but I just can't drive like that all the time. By the end of 'play' t'other Saturday it was reading 21.9 mpg.

If you do have a go in one, I would recommend if possible driving along some country roads keeping it 'on the boil' and powering through corners and you may or may not be surprised how 'squat' it will sit and grip accordingly. It's one of those weird cars imo that you can bumble along and all is calm but if you make the effort it will wake up and 'entertain'. Just my thoughts.

After a bit of a thrashing, the exhaust seriously does deepen and becomes more throaty............quite erotic actually.

If you want a go in mine, then you're more than welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks a lot for the kind offer Helen. I may well take you up on it! Got a test drive booked on Saturday in a DSG Scirocco R that's quite local, so looking forward to that. Hopefully I will be able to exercise it on some of the better roads around the Dealership.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Wanta fast audi with loads of space for your gear?

Several tasty S6 avants available, some under £30k at AUC. V10power..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

335d Gav - better looking than the Audi and a total peach of an engine with decent economy(for 300+ Hp)

I had an Audi diesel - A4 2.5 TDi about 6 years ago and it was PANTS............. crap performance and piss poor MPG

I got the 330d i wanted when i bought the Audi and have had BM's ever since.........

When i look at my E92 335d on the drive it gives me a little wet patch in my wifes knickers!
      07-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
335d Gav - better looking than the Audi and a total peach of an engine with decent economy(for 300+ Hp)

I had an Audi diesel - A4 2.5 TDi about 6 years ago and it was PANTS............. crap performance and piss poor MPG

I got the 330d i wanted when i bought the Audi and have had BM's ever since.........

When i look at my E92 335d on the drive it gives me a little wet patch in my wifes knickers!

Does your wife know youre wearing her knickers ??

Gav, why not get something like an Octavia VRS... and save a load of cash up towards a top of the range new F30 3 series due at the end of next year??
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 07-07-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
[/B]

Does your wife know youre wearing her knickers ??

Gav, why not get something like an Octavia VRS... and save a load of cash up towards a top of the range new F30 3 series due at the end of next year??
1) No! Don't be stupid!

2) Always buy at 2 to 3 years old when some other mug has lost half the value of their car...................
      07-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the ideas guys. TBH I've pretty much decided against another BMW for the moment and also against a diesel. I've had my 330i for over 3 years and getting into another one would feel too familiar. I need a change! Good as the 335D is it just doesn't tick the right box for me. Considered the Skoda briefly, but I can't get into the looks.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #20
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Hi Gavin,

For me, diesels are the best all round engines for the mileage I do ~15k p.a. it gives me high performance when I need it, economy at all other times. BUT I don’t love my diesels cars, never have never will. They have no soul, no real emotion – rather they are just uber efficient at what they do. All I can muster is respect for the 330d, oh and a big smile when I come to fill it up!

Maybe I miss the 7k revs and the noise, those two things do get you involved in the driving experience and its why I do keep lusting for a fast petrol

Did see a A5 3.2 petrol this morning, that must be worth a looky? I do drive past a couple times a week mate, so if you want a run in mine happy to meet up so you can defo decide against a diesel, he he

Btw, still think the Rocco R will overwhelme the fwd….but hey that could be fun as well!
      07-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #21
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post

He doesn't want an oil burner and 6 years ago, think technology has moved on since then!!

As for looks nah sorry think the A5 is better looking but I assumed you were just giving your opinion. Having owned both, sorry but the build quality varies significantly I'm afraid and I 'aint going back at the mo no way for many reasons.

Customer Service - Had my free MOT yesterday and they were even going to wash the bugger. No complaints so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #22
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
- Had my free MOT yesterday and they were even going to wash the bugger. No complaints so far.
Yeah alright, don't rub it in BB
Appreciate 0