E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 50 km/h over speed limit and you're racing? WTF?

08-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
kalch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Gracie:E92 335 19" S/P/FL/CA

50 km/h over speed limit and you're racing? WTF?

going 150 in my 335 is like going 40 in nana's blue chrysler (see sig).

I was going to play golf a few weekends (about 7 AM) ago up the 404 to stouffvile side road, and I shit you not, I was getting passed and I was going 180. I wasn't passed by one or two cars, but by 5 or 6, who must have been going north of 200 km/h. I wasn't racing at all!

Should I lose my license for 7 days, pay $10K fine and the impounding fee? Personally, i think the 335 is suited for at least 150Km/h, and in the hands of a responsible adult, should be looked at, maybe in some other fashion. But maybe not. Discuss amongst ourselves....

One car, i must admit, was a toyota of some sort, the others were audi a6, porsche, etc.

At 180 my BBJX (license plate letters) was purring and loving it, but i had my tail between my tailpipes getting passed by the toyota, 180 was just too damn fast.

The kids driving the modded racers are definitely racing with wanton disregard for life, adrenalin pumping, etc. The feeling of my 335 was stable (19inch rims), fast -yes, maybe too fast, as I haven't gotten up to that speed again.

Don't get me wrong, I am still considering a Procede. Why? Why not! Im not a racer, just a guy whose fallen in love with BBJX.

However, I also hear the argument that "speed kills". So, to all of you (and me), drive responsibly.
      08-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalch View Post
going 150 in my 335 is like going 40 in nana's blue chrysler (see sig).

I was going to play golf a few weekends (about 7 AM) ago up the 404 to stouffvile side road, and I shit you not, I was getting passed and I was going 180. I wasn't passed by one or two cars, but by 5 or 6, who must have been going north of 200 km/h. I wasn't racing at all!

Should I lose my license for 7 days, pay $10K fine and the impounding fee? Personally, i think the 335 is suited for at least 150Km/h, and in the hands of a responsible adult, should be looked at, maybe in some other fashion. But maybe not. Discuss amongst ourselves....

One car, i must admit, was a toyota of some sort, the others were audi a6, porsche, etc.

At 180 my BBJX (license plate letters) was purring and loving it, but i had my tail between my tailpipes getting passed by the toyota, 180 was just too damn fast.

The kids driving the modded racers are definitely racing with wanton disregard for life, adrenalin pumping, etc. The feeling of my 335 was stable (19inch rims), fast -yes, maybe too fast, as I haven't gotten up to that speed again.

Don't get me wrong, I am still considering a Procede. Why? Why not! Im not a racer, just a guy whose fallen in love with BBJX.

However, I also hear the argument that "speed kills". So, to all of you (and me), drive responsibly.
how old are you?
      08-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

The whole thing is retarded. So if I'm driving alone on a highway at 2am doing 160km/h with no other cars around me I'm street racing? But if I have a passenger with me then I'm not?

The problem isn't that speed kills. It's stupid drivers that kill. A stupid driver can be the one weaving in and out of traffic doing 180+km/h. Or the person who pulls out to the left lane doing 105km/hr without checking their blind spot.

All of this new speeding legislation is just a standard knee-jerk reaction. A lot of people are dying because of idiotic driving, so let's just make people drive slower and then everything will be better. What we need is better driver education. It should take longer to get your license and the exam should be a lot more thorough.
      08-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetscott View Post
The whole thing is retarded. So if I'm driving alone on a highway at 2am doing 160km/h with no other cars around me I'm street racing? But if I have a passenger with me then I'm not?

The problem isn't that speed kills. It's stupid drivers that kill. A stupid driver can be the one weaving in and out of traffic doing 180+km/h. Or the person who pulls out to the left lane doing 105km/hr without checking their blind spot.

All of this new speeding legislation is just a standard knee-jerk reaction. A lot of people are dying because of idiotic driving, so let's just make people drive slower and then everything will be better. What we need is better driver education. It should take longer to get your license and the exam should be a lot more thorough.
Who cares if they characterize 50km/h over the speed limit as "street racing". That is just pandering to a mostly brainwashed public that is being fed sensationalist stories by the media. What is happening is that they are just increasing the penalties for speeding, which is fine with me, because people in this Province can't drive for sh*t. The fact is if you are caught doing 50km/h over the legal speed limit, there should be consequences. You think the DVP was designed to handle cars travelling at 150km/h? Even at 3 a.m. when it is mostly empty? I doubt it. If you feel the need to travel more than 120km/h on a regular basis, take it to the track. I'm sick of seeing morons driving like animals on the 401, weaving in and out of traffic. Maybe I wouldn't have felt this way 5 years ago, but now I have a 4 month old baby and I don't want some jerk rear ending my wife on the highway doing 180.
      08-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Well perhaps it's the speed limits that need to be re-evaluated. I personally don't think doing 150km/h on the DVP would be safe, but on those open stretches of the 401? Why not?

Weaving in and out of traffic is just stupid. Sitting in the left lane doing 110km/h is also stupid. We both agree that most people in this province (or North America in general) drive like morons. But like I said, it's driver education that needs to be addressed. There's a big difference between speeding and reckless driving.
      08-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:

I agree with you.

We definitely need better driver education; maybe something similar to what they have in Europe.

better drivers = less accidents = better traffic flow

and I think we need to enforce that the left lane is for passing only.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well perhaps it's the speed limits that need to be re-evaluated. I personally don't think doing 150km/h on the DVP would be safe, but on those open stretches of the 401? Why not?

Weaving in and out of traffic is just stupid. Sitting in the left lane doing 110km/h is also stupid. We both agree that most people in this province (or North America in general) drive like morons. But like I said, it's driver education that needs to be addressed. There's a big difference between speeding and reckless driving.
I don't disagree with you, but UNTIL the laws are changed to allow, for example, doing 150km/h on a portion of the 401 that is capable of allowing such speeds, if you break the law by exceeding the posted limit by 50%, then I have no sympathy for you.
      08-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

It's provincial election year BS! Got it??

Wonder why the OPP suddenly got their airplane?

Will photo radar be far away?

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I don't disagree with you, but UNTIL the laws are changed to allow, for example, doing 150km/h on a portion of the 401 that is capable of allowing such speeds, if you break the law by exceeding the posted limit by 50%, then I have no sympathy for you.
like 60km/h in a 40km/h non-school zone???

Anyway, there should be more sanctioned race tracks here in Canada. I am sure that will get most of the racers out of the road.
      08-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have to add....

Going 50km/h over the limit will be considered "Stunt Driving" which carries the same penalties as street racing. You won't be charged with "Racing" itself.

I 100% agree that going 50km/h over the limit is dangerous and should be punished... but only if we had reasonable speed limits.

100km/h is obviously way too low a speed limit for most of our highways. The flow of traffic is generally 120km/h to 130km/h, unless it's rush hour.

So, in honesty, when you are going 150km/h, from a genuine safety perspective you are speeding at about 25km/h over the "street" limit, but you will be treated like an irresponsible and reckless lunatic, because you are technically going 50km/h over the "legal" limit.

Also, with regards to cars weaving in and out of lanes - if people actually observed lane discipline, and drove in the right lane, it would make no sense for faster traffic to "weave" in and out across three or four lanes when the left lane is wide open and empty.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Pure and simple electioneering by a "nanny" government.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
and I think we need to enforce that the left lane is for passing only.
+1. Not many people here has good lane discipline...I always see people who are driving in the left lane who going below the speed limit. Not good at all.

It really irritates me when the slow people decide to go into the HOV lane...and then go slower than the non-HOV lanes of traffic. Like really...take the standard lanes if you want to take that it that slow. HOV is there for a reason...sigh.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

+1 Like he said, but in Jersey. Cops should ticket the morons going in the left lane too slow for highway speed

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

In regular traffic conditions, if you're not driving AT LEAST 100km/h, then you should be in the right-most lane.

I mean, come on, everyone knows that the limits are superficial. Traffic flows at up to 150. I can't stand it when I'm stuck behind someone doing 90.

And even if you are exceeding the speed limit, you should exit the leftmost lane after passing someone. The issue is not about how fast or how slow you are going, but that the left lane is reserved for passing only.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #15
SapphireM4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
First problem is that it is way too easy to get a license, I got mine before graduated licensing and frankly I don't see much of a difference in how the process works now. Too easy, anyone can get it with little effort and zero education.

I find driving in the far right lane these days is often the quickest because everyone jams up the passing lanes.

Left lane is always for passing yet 90% of people instinctively go straight to that lane to cruise. At my driver's exam years back it seemed like their biggest concern was whether you could parallel park or not!!

Speed itself is not the only problem and should not be singled out. It being an election year, perhaps we should point to what a failure the system has been from the start. Even though it will probably change nothing...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
There are many problems in the NA driving system; all it takes is a quick trip to the EU to figure that out. We have an ill-equiped new driver training system (as mentioned, it's of more concern that you know how to park your car than the rules of the highway); in BC, a near-monopoly for manditory insurance (which just posted a few hundred million in Q2 profits, yet rates are still going up 2-3%); poorly designed and maintained highway infrastructure (follow Hwy-99 north from the border and you'll hit Oak Street- yay, stoplights!!!); the absence of round-abouts, lower than necessary speed limits (highway specific), etc, etc.

Don't expect it to change much; almost everyone on our lovely little continent is still drinking the koolaid when it comes to cars, car safety, efficiencies and the environment. As mentioned earlier, just go to Europe to see what works better. (Not saying it's perfect, but it's boat-loatds better!)
      08-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Here's what I don't get:
Traffic fatalities have plunged over the past several years (you can look it up). The roads are safer and the cars are much more capable of handling high speeds than ever.
So what do we do? That's right, ensure we go SLOWER (score one for the nervous nellies).
If anything, there are certain sections of highway in which posted limits should, if anything, be HIGHER.
No one does a better job of reactionary pre-election promises than Liberal governments (witness also the promised 105 km/h limit for trucks).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #18
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

the DVP/401 example is a good one.

The solution here is to increase the speed limits to 110 or 120 on the rural highway sections, and keep the limits at 100 on the urban highways.

This is the way they do it in most US states and it WORKS. People slow down in the city, where there is more congestion, and the cops are more diligent about ticketing speeders in those sections of the highway. OTOH, when the highway is empty and road conditions allow it, there is no danger in going 150 or above.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Personally highways should have no speed limit just a rule that you can't do multiple lane changes, weave in and out. so If u wanna go 200 in the left lane go ahead. just stay there though aand don't go up the minivan's ass
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #20
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
It really irritates me when the slow people decide to go into the HOV lane...and then go slower than the non-HOV lanes of traffic. Like really...take the standard lanes if you want to take that it that slow. HOV is there for a reason...sigh.
That really bugs me as well! They sit in that lane thinking "I'm saving the environment", not realizing that they can do the same in the far right lane. The problem comes when they try to exit the highway and try and marge from HOV to the passing lane and the delta in speeds is 30-40 km/h.

I have plenty of other pet peeves, but they have just about all been covered in the above replies.
Appreciate 0