E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Performance loss from exhaust on NA engine?

06-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
ddigangi
'Murica
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Performance loss from exhaust on NA engine?

Pretty much all in the title, I have a Meisterschaft full catback exhaust, does no back pressure hurt NA cars since I have no turbo?

*lemme rephrase, not hurt but lessen my performance output!

I blog at http://ddigangi.com
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

It's very minimal if you did lose some tq. I lost maybe 1-2 lbs tq with race pipes, but I made up the power with a loss of 80 lbs from the factory system.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Depends on the engine, but no back pressure will result in major performance loss and possible damage. Like completely removing all exhaust components... But from what i understand it's about exhaust velocity and scavenging and less so about back pressure. I know we ran a 10 second s/c fox body with exhaust and it ran slower than with open headers. My SS runs faster with exhaust. H pipe, X pipe, Y pipe, and true duals each have their advantage. But the real key to exhaust performance is having it custom built for your engine. Anyways, your loss and/or gains are minimal but can be maximized or minimized with modifications and tunes. Personally I think the sound is the best part. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

if you do a muffler delete you will lose some low end tq. but with an aftermarket muffler, it is minimal, but as aonarch said...you make up for it with losing the weight. I have the top speed with a res delete and I am sure I lost a ft/lb or 2, but it was worth it for the sound alone, but also losing the weight.

definitely go for it.
      06-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
kyo21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Technical

a full cat-back shouldn't affect your back pressure or performance, most of the back pressure is produced at the exhaust manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigangi View Post
Pretty much all in the title, I have a Meisterschaft full catback exhaust, does no back pressure hurt NA cars since I have no turbo?

*lemme rephrase, not hurt but lessen my performance output!
The Meisterschaft Catback Exhaust System doesn't have that aggressive of a setup where you'll have to worry about this from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo21 View Post
a full cat-back shouldn't affect your back pressure or performance, most of the back pressure is produced at the exhaust manifold.
There is such thing as too large or too small.

Plus, there aren't too many header options for the non-turbo N51 and N52 equipped BMWs.
Appreciate 0