E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Carbon Blasting/Walnut Blasting Suffolk NY Area

03-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Whats up guys, at the end of last summer me and my friend, (an ASE certified tech) purchased the BMW Carbon Blaster to perform a service on my car, better know as "Walnut Blasting". I was amazed at the outcome, and needless to say, the results speak for themselves. Now that the winter is coming to an end, and hopefully the weather will be warming up soon, come get all of that carbon buildup cleaned out of your intake manifold. Idling, and cold weather in general is known to cause problems to our cars and theres no better way to clean it up than with some walnut shells. Needless to say, we normally recommend the service at about the first 50-60k miles and then every 30-40 after that. We will be offering the service for $350. The location is East Northport, NY 11731. The whole process takes about 2 hours, and being that it will be done in a residential garage, there is some shopping, and food nearby to kill time. On top of walnut blasting, we also offer other services such as spark ply and coil changes, normal services such as oil changes, brakes and installation of JB4 and other Burger products. Keep in mind, we are not claiming to be a full blown "tuner" shop or a business with some outstanding reputation, we are just offering a service is which some cases BMW dealers will charge upwards of $1200 to perform for a fraction of the price. We both know what we are doing as far as working with these model cars (both N54 and N55) and assure you the money will be well spent. If you have any questions , feel free to shoot me a text or a call anytime @ 718-440-7666
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you guys,
Austin & James
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention as well as the services i listed, we can also deal with any type of CEL or codes that can not be read with a regular code scanner, due to the fact we use the Bavarian Technic tool so if anyone ever needs a code read, feel free to give us a call as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Im definetly going to need this done soon. Im in nassau county so its not too far. The $350 includes taking out the intake manifold and parts, doing the job, and then reassembling with any new gaskets that were taken apart?

Stupid question, is it actually a walnut shell? Lol... And how do you keep the pieces from going inside the motor?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Im definetly going to need this done soon. Im in nassau county so its not too far. The $350 includes taking out the intake manifold and parts, doing the job, and then reassembling with any new gaskets that were taken apart?

Stupid question, is it actually a walnut shell? Lol... And how do you keep the pieces from going inside the motor?
1. Yes the service we offer includes everything BMW would do, including replacing the intake manifold gaskets with oem and if necessary, replacing the nuts on the head bolts (usually they come off fine, no thread damage...BMW makes very well made parts)

2. Not a stupid question, i actually laughed pretty hard when i found out the whole deal, but basically BMW deemed grinder walnut shells of a certain grain size to be a NON ABRASIVE cleaning element. Therefore it does not have the ability to damage any of the head, valves, pistons, plugs etc...even though the carbon blasting machine is highly pressurized. The job is done when the car is at TDC. After consulting a BMW technician, he informed us that there is a certain tool that BMW makes to lock the first 3 valves into TDC and then after turning the engine over again, locks the other 3 in TDC, which would close the opening into your compression chamber and block any walnuts from going in. However, as a cautionary measure, we like to use an attachment that comes with the Carbon blasting machine to blast out, (through the spark plug hole) any walnuts that might have slipped through.

Basically you will leave here just as happy as you would from a BMW dealer just a lot less broke and even get a classy wood grain smell in the car for a bit lol

But if you or anyone else has any questions on how we go about performing our services, feel free to message me on here or text me anytime @ 718-440-7666
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

i WISH i was closer! Would really like to get this done!
      03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race
i WISH i was closer! Would really like to get this done!
Don't let distance stop you, the drive home would be awesome 😁
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Im interested, soon as it gets a little nicer out. You able to to the N52?
      03-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122
Im interested, soon as it gets a little nicer out. You able to to the N52?
N52 is a straight 6, is it not? This is only necessary on turbo models.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

MNC in oceanside does this for 350..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
Ok, you a news reporter or something? why do I care? Are there not a million Indy mechanics within blocks of eachother? What about a Macys in the same parking lot as a JCPenny or how about a Mobil gas station, across the street from a BP. it's called personal preference my friend and honestly keep your shit off my thread thanks👍 If you knew the first thing about business you would know that a part of having one is COMPETITION not always through pricing. So yea you can go to MNC, no one on here talks down about them or says "don't go there" So mind your own business and have fun at MNC
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysour335i View Post
Ok, you a news reporter or something? why do I care? Are there not a million Indy mechanics within blocks of eachother? What about a Macys in the same parking lot as a JCPenny or how about a Mobil gas station, across the street from a BP. it's called personal preference my friend and honestly keep your shit off my thread thanks👍 If you knew the first thing about business you would know that a part of having one is COMPETITION not always through pricing. So yea you can go to MNC, no one on here talks down about them or says "don't go there" So mind your own business and have fun at MNC
Your price isn't competitive and is borderline rip off since you're doing it in residential garage. Why you mad?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
oh and by the way, why don't u price out all of the necessary tools needed, including the 50lb bag of walnuts that aren't that cheap, plus the $1400 machine from BMW that's not available. or the wands, intake manifold attachment or for that case a COMPRESSOR. So yea maybe we charge the same thing as a shop that has a good reputation, but don't you think they could charge less if they have sooooo many happy clients......Once again thanks for coming to the thread with nothing but negativity, I'll be sure to return the favor first chance I get👍👍
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
oh and by the way, why don't u price out all of the necessary tools needed, including the 50lb bag of walnuts that aren't that cheap, plus the $1400 machine from BMW that's not available. or the wands, intake manifold attachment or for that case a COMPRESSOR. So yea maybe we charge the same thing as a shop that has a good reputation, but don't you think they could charge less if they have sooooo many happy clients......Once again thanks for coming to the thread with nothing but negativity, I'll be sure to return the favor first chance I get👍👍
Your response shows your temperament & what it will probably be like if any of your customers have complaints/issues with any of your work. Again lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Sure buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman
Quote:
Your response shows your temperament & what it will probably be like if any of your customers have complaints/issues with any of your work. Again lol.
Actually, I'm a very calm and nice guy, except when someone's sole purpose is to troll my thread and look to start issues. "Why you mad" is a term someone who's an uneducated idiot would use and I wouldn't even want you as a customer buddy so, if you or anyone with that type of attitude is interested, I can tell you now, have fun at MNC, all others we welcome with open arms. As far as where it's done, because it's done at a garage you assume we wouldn't assume responsibility, let's just take a guess and say your the type of guy that no matter where he goes, you have an issue with the work, mainly due to the fact that before u even give someone like me or any other individual performing the service a chance, you just BASH BASH BASH, so good luck living like that buddy👍 Hope to never see ya soon, have a good day bye bye now....LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

Sorry man, but I'm gonna have to agree to glachhman up there. MNC is a licensed and insured NYS repair shop. What happens if something accidentally goes wrong and next thing you know the customer's engine is now messed up. Are you going to be able to cover the thousands of dollars to replace their motor? If your prices were less and someone was willing to risk the non-insured part for a lower cost it would seem like a good idea. But for the same price, I'd rather go to a licensed shop.

Also, the part equipment isn't $1400. If that's what you paid for the wand and vacuum attachment, I'm terribly sorry because I ordered the items for vacuum blasting for much less.

Also also, I wouldn't recommend posting a price and a service you are publicly advertising for on this forum if you're not a vendor. The moderators will ban your account. Others who I personally known got banned for advertising a $5 without being a vendor.
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

the fact is your charging the same as a licensed and insured shop.
you have none of that.
if something goes wrong the customer is shit out of luck.
if you were showing some savings over a shop then it makes sense to assume the risk.
but if your the same price then it seems stupid.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk
the fact is your charging the same as a licensed and insured shop.
you have none of that.
if something goes wrong the customer is shit out of luck.
if you were showing some savings over a shop then it makes sense to assume the risk.
but if your the same price then it seems stupid.
Who says we wouldn't assume responsibility, in the scenario that something major did go wrong, which is nearly impossible considering the service that's being done, we WOULD assume FULL responsibility. So maybe people shouldn't assume so much and find out info before you speak. As far as our price, it will be lowered the more customers we receive, your initial blasting might cost you the same as a repair shop but, we planned on offering a "loyalty" discount, considering it's recommended every 25-35k after the initial blasting, especially tuned or modded cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
danduccie92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i FBO

Do you still do the walnut blasting
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #19
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
These guys did the blasting on my 07 335i with 81k on it, the before and after was ridiculous and yea i could have gotten it done cheaper, but they originally told me $400, when i said MNC does it for $350 they came down to $350 right away, didn't try to upsell me anything, even coded the car for free for me, cool guys, know their stuff and crazy knowledge of the E9X series.
Appreciate 1