E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e92 Control Arm Question

08-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

e92 Control Arm Question

Quick question for you suspension gurus,

I bought an e92 335i 4 months ago from a BMW dealer. I've put about 6,000 miles on the car and just switched my wheels out for a different set. Noticed the drivers rear has worn down to the cords on the inside edge of the stock runflats.

Called BMW, they refused to cover the alignment since it has been 4 months. They should be done every 6 months so it would be my responsibility at this point. Not thrilled because the tire wear indicates it has been off alignment for a while, but I will pay for an alignment somewhere else.

Took the car for an alignment this morning and the shop said they couldn't do it because I need to replace the control arms/bushings as there is too much play.

My question, is it normal for a control arm bushing to go from a point where it would pass BMW's inspection (if they did one) to a point where it is preventing an alignment in 6,000 miles?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
MrN1ceGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 330i 6MT ZSP ZPP

You are going to need to provide more details here.

"...the shop said they couldn't do it because I need to replace the control arms/bushings as there is too much play."
Are they talking about the front or rear suspension? they should be able to tell/show you exactly which bushing is bad and which arm need to be replaced. You may need to take it to another reputable alignment place.

BMW put in a bit of toe-in to help straight line stability. That's probably what's killing your tires.
      08-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Definitely possible. I would get a 2nd opinion if you are not sure but I would just have them replaced. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Correctly installed hydro bushings will not go bad in 6k miles unless there is servere impact. That impact would have to be severe enough to shear mounts off the sub frame or bend the control arm.

Incorrectly installed hydro bushings can go bad in as little as 6k miles. A hydro bushing is incorrectly installed by torquing the bolt down with the car in the air, wheels hanging. This is an unloaded position. When you install the hydro bushings in these cars, they must be preloaded....meaning the knuckle must be raised so the control arm is in it's resting position as if the car was on the ground.

Failure to pre-load a hydro bushing will result in permanently over loading the bushing when the car is lowered back onto the ground.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I doubt anything will come of this. This is what PPIs are for. I know CPO is suppose to replace a PPI but they don't call them stealerships for nothing....
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN1ceGuy View Post
You are going to need to provide more details here.

"...the shop said they couldn't do it because I need to replace the control arms/bushings as there is too much play."
Are they talking about the front or rear suspension? they should be able to tell/show you exactly which bushing is bad and which arm need to be replaced. You may need to take it to another reputable alignment place.

BMW put in a bit of toe-in to help straight line stability. That's probably what's killing your tires.
Sorry. Alignment shop said that the passenger thrust arm bushing was bad and that they couldn't do the alignment until it was replaced.

I was aware of the toe-in factory alignment, this is my 2nd e92 335 and I had a little inside wear with my previous car but nothing like this. Brand new RFT's to the cords in 6,000 miles, without a track day or serious burnouts seemed a bit off.

Going to take it to a different dealer and see what they say, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
Definitely possible. I would get a 2nd opinion if you are not sure but I would just have them replaced. Good luck.
Definitely doing that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Correctly installed hydro bushings will not go bad in 6k miles unless there is servere impact. That impact would have to be severe enough to shear mounts off the sub frame or bend the control arm.

Incorrectly installed hydro bushings can go bad in as little as 6k miles. A hydro bushing is incorrectly installed by torquing the bolt down with the car in the air, wheels hanging. This is an unloaded position. When you install the hydro bushings in these cars, they must be preloaded....meaning the knuckle must be raised so the control arm is in it's resting position as if the car was on the ground.

Failure to pre-load a hydro bushing will result in permanently over loading the bushing when the car is lowered back onto the ground.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I doubt anything will come of this. This is what PPIs are for. I know CPO is suppose to replace a PPI but they don't call them stealerships for nothing....
Thanks for the knowledge! I've always just replaced the entire control arm rather than deal with the bushings so I wasn't aware you had to load up the suspension before fully tightening.

With the experience that I have had with this dealer, you're probably right about nothing happening. Just wanted to have as much information as possible before I walk in there asking for them to help out.

For the price, I will most likely get a 2nd look and upgrade to the M3 control arms and call it a day.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natef53 View Post
I bought an e92 335i 4 months ago from a BMW dealer. I've put about 6,000 miles on the car and just switched my wheels out for a different set. Noticed the drivers rear has worn down to the cords on the inside edge of the stock runflats.

>AHEM<

Rears being at ~-1.5° camber, that's normal.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Noticed the drivers rear has worn down to the cords on the inside edge of the stock runflats. thrilled because the tire wear indicates it has been off alignment for a while, but I will pay for an alignment somewhere else.
Why are you trying to pin this on the dealer?
How do you explain you FAILING to notice the wear at 600 miles not 6000?
I check my tires literally every day!

Quote:
My question, is it normal for a control arm bushing to go from a point where it would pass BMW's inspection (if they did one) to a point where it is preventing an alignment in 6,000 miles?
From the 6000 miles info I'm not even surprised. Not at all. You probably didn't notice when, where and how you tore the suspension!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
>AHEM<

Rears being at ~-1.5° camber, that's normal.
Thanks, from the 35,000 miles I put on my last e92 this was not normal. Not sure if the previous owner had it aligned to remove the extra camber but my rear tires wore much more evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Why are you trying to pin this on the dealer?
How do you explain you FAILING to notice the wear at 600 miles not 6000?
I check my tires literally every day!

From the 6000 miles info I'm not even surprised. Not at all. You probably didn't notice when, where and how you tore the suspension!
lol, there is always one.

If you wear a suit and lay down on the ground LITERALLY every day to check the inside edge of your rear tires you're a better man than I will ever be.

Thank you for your contribution?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Thanks, from the 35,000 miles I put on my last e92 this was not normal. Not sure if the previous owner had it aligned to remove the extra camber but my rear tires wore much more evenly.

Inside wear and replacement @ 17k+ mi is normal. Could be your toe's about zero and rear camber's backed off....but for pilots at spec, a common and expected thing.

'Course for us nuts w/radical camber and take-no-prisoners driving characteristics, tread life may be abbreviated.
Appreciate 0