E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Whiteline Drop link preload question!

05-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Gooey33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport Saloon

Whiteline Drop link preload question!

Advice please! I am planning to replace my standard drop links with the Whiteline adjustable units as my standard ones have excessive play in the bushings and cause that annoying clinking noise, particularly at low speed / turning. If it's broke, upgrade it...

Been reading a lot about the benefit of removing pre-load from the standard anti roll bar and how it helps with feel but on the E90 does that mean the new links should be adjusted to be slightly longer than standard to push the anti roll bar back down or should they be slightly shorter? Hope that makes sense!

I'll be jacking up the car, wheels off and jacking up the hub to take the tension off the lower drop link joint so the anti roll bar will be free to be pushed to wherever I need it to flex to to get remove pre load.

Can't find any vehicle specific info on the forum via search or in fact the web.

Any help would save a few hours of head scratching tomorrow after work!

Thanks,

Gooey
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

do you have your suspension stupidly low to warrant shorter ARB links?

if not, fit standard ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Gooey33
Private
Rep

I don't, it's running the standard set up.

These were available at less cost than the OEM ones and are of much better quality plus I am planning on adding some eibachs at a later date. Made sense to purchase these.

The standard ARB set up will have pre-load within it therefore fitting adjustable ones will allow this pre-load to be removed (which is a good thing!)
The length of the Whiteline units can be set to be the same as the OEM length if required, the question in the OP was will these require them to be adjusted shorter or longer than the current OEM ones? i.e which way removes preload.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Grant e92
Rep
Drives: e92 330d se

Best to do it on a pit. The way I did myn was by putting the car on flat level service preferably over a pit but can be done on set of run up ramps remove the oe drop links and adjust the new ones to fit into the holes on shocker and anti roll bar with the ball joints square ie not pointing in different angles. Then tighten bolts and tighten lock nuts on the drop link threads no need to Jack the vehicle up because this puts preload on the drop links/roll bar if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Great, that makes sense. I don't have a pit at home (!) but reckon I can get round it by lowering the car down onto my ramps (they're too steep to drive this car up) which will give me room to adjust the drop link lower bolt to fit in the ARB. Did you do one side at a time or both at once? Also is it worth adding a bit of weight to the driver/passenger side so zero preload is achieved with some weight inside?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Grant e92
Rep

I did both of myn at the same time to get them equal didn't put any weight on them either just set them completely zero. You can get away with setting them by turning the wheels full lock left and right. You can Just about get in but it is a struggle. this is the way I did myn at home the first time round before I took it to work and set then up on the pit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Did you notice any improvement in feel? Not too fussed if not, just looking forward to not having a constant clunking noise!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Grant e92
Rep

I fitted bc coilovers so I couldn't tell you if it's any better on standard suspension the drop links were part of the kit but don't look the best quality so I may change them where did you get the whiteline ones from?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

I think your making this way more complicated than it needs to be, especially if your not going mental on the rest of the suspension.

as above, fitting them in a pit, with both wheels on the ground would be ideal, but doing them one at a time will be fine also.

if you want to use the adjustable ones, adjust them to the same size as stock, and fit them, job jobbed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant e92 View Post
I fitted bc coilovers so I couldn't tell you if it's any better on standard suspension the drop links were part of the kit but don't look the best quality so I may change them where did you get the whiteline ones from?
If you go to the Whiteline website, there's a list of UK distributors - I'm sure you'll find one local to you.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/dealer_REGION.php?locale=UK&description=United%20K ingdom&type=country&region=
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
I think your making this way more complicated than it needs to be, especially if your not going mental on the rest of the suspension.

as above, fitting them in a pit, with both wheels on the ground would be ideal, but doing them one at a time will be fine also.

if you want to use the adjustable ones, adjust them to the same size as stock, and fit them, job jobbed.
The reason I'm using them is they're better than the stock units and will remove all preload from the standard setup. May as well use the adjustment as its there. Yes it's more complicated, but not that much more, and will improve the standard setup. Took me just over an hour to do mine with both wheels on the floor and adjusting the links to fit the roll bar. I'm pleased anyway!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Grant e92
Rep

What size drip link did you by mate?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Gooey33
Private
Rep