E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ECS Brake Kit

11-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
burtface
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

ECS Brake Kit

Has anyone purchased this kit from ECS? My car is due for a rear brake pad and rotor replacement and this seems like a great deal to upgrade front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors. Give me your comments and recommendations to other kits.

Thank you.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330...g/Service_Kit/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

I have tried many different setups of rotors, pads, OEM upgrades, off the shelf BBKs, custom BBKs, over several different cars I have owned over the years.
It really comes down to 3 things:

How you use your car? (track, auto-X, spirited street)
How much you are willing to spend?
Is brake noise acceptable or unacceptable?

My recommendation is to go with blanks, so they can be turned and have less noise, you can pay extra for a brand name (Brembo, Stoptech, DBA) rotors but that’s not necessary + ceramic (non-performance) pads, you can find it all on eBay for less money.

I would avoid; drilled non brand rotors and auto parts store generic brake fluid.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
If you're not tracking, you have no use for it and end of day you're messing with your current bias. If you want better performance, get better biting pads (at the possible expense of more dust and noise). Forget drilled, slotted is fine but I prefer good ole regular blanks.
      11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
burtface
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Thank you for your comments; I will take them into consideration since I do not track my car. Sounds like I might end up buying blank rotors and better quality pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Drilled, (and slotted to some extent) rotors are mainly cosmetic for street use and can even introduce unwanted problems such as heat/stress cracking that plain flat rotors would not have. Especially if quality of castings is poor.

Track cars use them frequently, but that is with the understanding that they are changed out after very little use.

With that being said, I personally like the look of drilled/slotted rotors & don't mind installing them as long as they are quality units. Actually, rotors that have the holes cast into them vs. drilled afterwards are better & hole chamfering is a must. Dimpled rotors don't have this problem as they are not thru hole and there are no edges for cracks to propagate from.

I have upgraded Baer GT+ system on my T/A with cast in holes/slotted 2-pc rotors that are much bigger than stock, 6 piston front calipers/4 piston rears, Hawk pads, & the braking performance is phenomenal! With that system there was no flat/blank rotor option.

I do plan on getting a set of the ECSTuning drilled/slotted rotors to test out in the near future - but again, in the case of my DD BMW, this is simply for looks and the rust free coating

Their pricing is very reasonable - just hope that doesn't mean degraded quality...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0