E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > How bad is the 08 and older Nav/iDrive

04-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
stealth63
Rep
Drives: TBD

How bad is the 08 and older Nav/iDrive

I'm looking at a few 08's with Nav. I have seen a few post stating that the older system is bad. So my questions is how bad is it? Is it usable but just not as good as the new one or is it downright unusable. I don't really care if the car has nav or not, but most seem to have it. Do people that have it regret getting it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

I have a 2006 330i with nav and I don't think it's that bad. It's a DVD-based system, so I think sometimes it will lag a little more than a hard drive-based system (especially when it's booting up), but once it gets loaded, I think it works decently well. I certainly would rather have the nav system than not have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yup, the new one is definitely slicker, but the 2006/2007 one gets the job done quite well. Definitely "acceptable".
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

The lag can be a pain in the ass, but it's not bad. Not as bad as the previous gen anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

I have the old 2007 iDrive in my car. It's nowhere near as nice as the newer one, the interface is unintuitive and it lags a lot. When starting up the car it will be immediately responsive, then freeze for like 30 seconds, then be responsive again. I've noticed having an mp3 CD in the drive makes it worse, and it's best when you have no CD in and no bluetooth trying to connect. Overall it works fine though, it's just not very impressive. And no passenger I've ever had has been able to figure out how to use it without any coaching, ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

It's doesn't have the slickest or most modern-looking UI, but it's a very EASY (yes, easy) and comprehensive system. Some of the common complaints seem like a basic failure to even try. A simple hold in any direction changes function, menu serves as a back-button, and once you get used to when to spin vs. when to tap (the only element with any real learning curve), it becomes a seamless control center. Can't find something? Use voice commands. Don't want to go through 7 steps to get the trip computer? Say 'trip computer'. Want to go back to the map? Just say so. Honestly, I've never once felt contempt for the iDrive. The UI is getting a little dated (maps, no night-mode, etc), but functionally it's just fine.

Mine has never frozen with a 40 GB ipod attached and iPhone connected via bluetooth with several hundred contacts.
      04-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
stealth63
Rep

Thats good to hear that the people that have it don't have the same issues. Is it correct that you can NOT send destinations from Google maps, but you can use BMW assist and get destinations sent to it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
dcm52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe 6mt

It's really quite simple to use. All you need to do is think like a German engineer. I've had mine for 2 years and I still yell at it on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm52 View Post
It's really quite simple to use. All you need to do is think like a German engineer. I've had mine for 2 years and I still yell at it on occasion.
Exactly.

No - it's not that bad at all. The press hated it and it got horrible reviews, but that's because you need to get used to the logic behind the menus, and that takes longer than the couple of hours most journo's got to spend with the car.

It's still better than the systems Mercedes was shipping through 2009/2010.
      04-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

when you have experienced the 09+ navi its hard to settle for the 07 or even 08. the older ones are a curse to operate and get frozen pretty often i hear. its just an overall problematic sytem
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
chucktang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e92

my main frustration with it stems from it being somewhat slow. I purchased my '07 with idrive half a year ago and was already used to my android phone with google maps and voice recognition. Assuming the GPS on my phone was working, it took less than 15 seconds to load up google maps and just say something like "in n out, san ramon california" or something. Doing this on the '07 nav system though... a minute or two, which isn't going to kill me or anything, but when you're used to 15 seconds, a minute or two is painfully long.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

My mom has a 2006 530i and my pops has a 2007 530i and both have iDrives. I've played around with them and they work fine. Their functionalities and features are limited, but I don't think they're that bad. To me they're just outdated, but that's to be expected because every year there are always new enhancements, or bells and whistles, added every year. So in a year or so, our current iDrives, will be outdated.
It's just like computers. Each new year, they get faster and faster with more new things added to them while our current ones seem to get slower and slower.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genek335 View Post
the older ones are a curse to operate and get frozen pretty often <b>i hear</b>. its just an overall problematic sytem
Don't go based on what you "hear". That's how rumors and myths perpetuate!

I might be more handy and into gadgets than the average joe, but it is NOT a "curse" to operate. There are a few items that are buried, but again, voice control usually addresses this. The only function that does absolutely suck is the "point of interest" search. Wow is that bad. But today, who really needs it? It's faster and easier to google map a store on your phone than try to have your car do it.

I also don't like that the closest zoom is to 400 ft. It can make navigating complex exits a little tricky.

Besides those two features, I have zero complaints. There are two programmable buttons on the steering wheel (I have mine set to mute and screen-off), and six or so programmable buttons below the climate control. Really, who uses more than 8 functions on a regular basis?

I can see why some might struggle for a few days in the beginning ... but you're going to be owning this car for, presumably, several years. It's a great system, just a little pedestrian looking compared to the 09+
      04-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

IMO I think people made it worse than it really was. The new iDrive is much nicer and more convenient with better button layouts, but the old one is not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

not really that bad, just not as good as the 08+
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
quantumx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
IMO I think people made it worse than it really was. The new iDrive is much nicer and more convenient with better button layouts, but the old one is not that bad.
Agreed, I always thought people kind of exaggerated the annoyances of the systems. I found them to be great. In comparison with newer systems, it does lack a bit, but when it came out I was more or less a fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

If you enjoy being punched in the face while someone simultaneously lights your toes on fire, then you will probably like the original iDrive/Nav system just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikken View Post
If you enjoy being punched in the face while someone simultaneously lights your toes on fire, then you will probably like the original iDrive/Nav system just fine.
This may just be a drastic over exaggeration... As others have said, it's not as good as the current gen but it functions just fine and after the learning curve there is nothing wrong with it at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
stealth63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
not really that bad, just not as good as the 08+
The 335i i'm looking at is an 08. I thought that that was the last year of the older system. Can anyone relate there experiences with BMW assist? Is it worth the money to have them look it up and send it to you? Do the older ones stream bluetooth audio or is that limited to the new systems? And how does the ipod integration work with iDrive? Sorry for all the questions. Wasn't really able to get a feel for all the details in the time i had with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #20
DeepD.Fast.Rider
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport Convertible

I had an 06 and an 07 and 08 Online Portal. 08 is faster than the other two marginally. Mine has usb and retro fit Ipod. Both work great.

New one I have tried it , its fast.

The online experience is kick ass for all versions.

But the car is good, so a little lag on sat nav, is not fatal. Livable. I think new version you will really have to pay...if you can afford 2k and its possible to upgrade, get the new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth63 View Post
The 335i i'm looking at is an 08. I thought that that was the last year of the older system. Can anyone relate there experiences with BMW assist? Is it worth the money to have them look it up and send it to you? Do the older ones stream bluetooth audio or is that limited to the new systems? And how does the ipod integration work with iDrive? Sorry for all the questions. Wasn't really able to get a feel for all the details in the time i had with the car.
The '08s have the older gen.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #22
stealth63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak.j View Post
I had an 06 and an 07 and 08 Online Portal. 08 is faster than the other two marginally. Mine has usb and retro fit Ipod. Both work great.

New one I have tried it , its fast.

The online experience is kick ass for all versions.

But the car is good, so a little lag on sat nav, is not fatal. Livable. I think new version you will really have to pay...if you can afford 2k and its possible to upgrade, get the new one.
What is the online portal you are talking about? I have never heard of it. What online experience?
Appreciate 0