E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Released* Dinan 335i Software

12-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #221
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
Once you pay for Dinan software it is yours for life it can be reloaded 1 million times without cost to you. ...
I think you do have to pay the dealership for labor, however, every time they have to reflash.
      12-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #222
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
Once you pay for Dinan software it is yours for life it can be reloaded 1 million times without cost to you. If you go in for a major service and it is not a Dinan dealer that has the ability to reflash your car using the MIPP tool then you have two choices.

1) Have them take out the ECU that is labeled "DME" and send it to Dinan to get benched flashed. It will be two days worth of air mail and 15 minutes on Dinans computer.

2) Drive carefully to the closest Dinan flash tool and have it reloaded when your service is done.

some info from the m5boards... Tbone where u at

Sorry, I was booking my vacation...

From my experience, the Dinan software doesn't usually get erase with normal programming, like adding Sirius or an alarm. I think it gets wiped with you do a major progman update.

So the best advise, if you choose Dinan, is to get Progman updated first and then flash the ECU.

The guy from M5board that used to work for Dinan is 550Chris and he has reliable information.

At any rate, with Dinan not investing in D-CANs right now, all 08 3er will need to send in their ECUs in any case.
      12-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #223
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT111 View Post
No dealers here. But the local BMW dealer is an expert in fitting aftermarket parts.
Then they won't have the special Dinan flash programming tool, so they won't be able to do it. You'd have to send the ECU to Dinan USA and have them program it for you.

As for the Dinan oil cooler, you or your BMW dealer can probably order the kit and have it shipped there, and they can install.

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...;20Tuning#3705
      12-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #224
hor335i
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 Space Grey 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
To get warranty service, do I have to go to an authorized Dinan dealer only or any BMW dealer? I am assuming Dinan only since BMW is no longer providing the warranty but Dinan. I would like to be wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #225
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hor335i View Post
To get warranty service, do I have to go to an authorized Dinan dealer only or any BMW dealer? I am assuming Dinan only since BMW is no longer providing the warranty but Dinan. I would like to be wrong though...
You can get warranty service at any dealership. But if the cause of the issue is deemed to be a Dinan issue, the work may have to be done by a Dinan dealer.
      12-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #226
elucas730a
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have been posting in this thread for a couple days, but my posts haven't been showing up for general viewing.

Anyway, no one has really answered this question yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwilly View Post
Does Dinan and their warranty work with other aftermarket parts? Say I do a Vishnu Exhaust, and ITG, would Dinan turn around and blame them for the failure (assuming there is one) and deny claim? Anyone have any experience with this?
The answer to your question is stated specifically on Dinan's website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan
The Dinan Limited Warranty Specifically Excludes:

•return shipping charges, •towing charges, •rental car fees •damage to a component or assembly due to the installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or Dinan parts, •damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a Dinan part or assembly, •damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with Dinan products or systems, •damage to the clutch due to power shifting or abuse, •brake rotor warp, •friction materials, •maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant and refrigerant, •mechanical adjustments or repairs which result from normal wear and tear, •drive-belts, •light bulbs, •damage due to the failure to perform maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •damage attributable to negligence, improper installation, improper treatment or treatment contrary to the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •engine damage resulting from altered boost pressure, •damage resulting from the use of improper or contaminated fuel, •damage occurring through corrosion resulting from weak or improper coolant, •damage to a Dinan component as a result of a collision or improper collision damage repairs, •any vehicle operated in any competitive event, •custom-designed competition parts, •damages resulting from loss of time, inconvenience or loss of the use of the vehicle, •damage resulting from environmental influences, flood, accident, fire damage, or road salt corrosion, •re-manufactured or refurbished products or components (these products are clearly identified as re-furbished and are warranted for the period specified for that particular product).
Bottom line, if you want your Dinan warranty to remain intact, don't put any other aftermarket parts on and don't take your car to the track, drag strip, auto-x, etc.

Also noted this from the Dinan website. For the 335i Engine Software it says...

Emission Status: 49 State Emission Legal

So what state is it not emissions legal? I'd assume California. Does that mean that they won't sell it in CA?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #227
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucas730a View Post
I have been posting in this thread for a couple days, but my posts haven't been showing up for general viewing.

Anyway, no one has really answered this question yet:

The answer to your question is stated specifically on Dinan's website:

Bottom line, if you want your Dinan warranty to remain intact, don't put any other aftermarket parts on and don't take your car to the track, drag strip, auto-x, etc.

Also noted this from the Dinan website. For the 335i Engine Software it says...

Emission Status: 49 State Emission Legal

So what state is it not emissions legal? I'd assume California. Does that mean that they won't sell it in CA?

Dinan makes it clear, you better do NOTHING else to your car or you void the warranty. And before you guys say it is not a big deal if you add an intake or exhaust, remember your argument about ethics?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #228
Becksgold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Flash technology for the 335 is nothing new, Birds in the UK has had a flashed 335i demo for the last 6 months the same goes for Turner MotorSport in Boston.. I don't know what the fuss is about....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #229
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksgold View Post
Flash technology for the 335 is nothing new, Birds in the UK has had a flashed 335i demo for the last 6 months the same goes for Turner MotorSport in Boston.. I don't know what the fuss is about....
Yes, but!

The Birds car that many magazines tested had a Hartge reflash. Since then, Hartge has pulled the option and description of this reflash from their website (I just checked, could not find it).

So while Birds' demo car may have it, I think Hartge no longer offers it. You could call Birds and see if they still offer it, if it can be purchased today.

I'll investigate Turner as well, but I would not be surprised to find out a similar story...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #230
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

I know that I have been negative on the Dinan Flash, it is simply a matter of price. But what Dinan does better than any other company is stand behind their products. I have had a warranty claim with Dinan and they are stand up.

it works like this. You need to get your car serviced at a Dinan dealer, preferably a BMW dealer too. Once they find the issue, your Dinan dealer will call Dinan to discuss the issue and then get authorization to do the repair.

The Dinan dealer charges back Dinan for any work. In many ways, Dinan behaves like a car manufacturer for warranty claims.
      12-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #231
Becksgold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

I have 2 questions, whats Stans Surname : "Stan Laurel" " That's Another fine Mess you got me into "

Is Dinan ECU Microsoft Vista complaint as most things from Silicon Valley
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #232
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I know that I have been negative on the Dinan Flash, it is simply a matter of price. But what Dinan does better than any other company is stand behind their products. I have had a warranty claim with Dinan and they are stand up.

it works like this. You need to get your car serviced at a Dinan dealer, preferably a BMW dealer too. Once they find the issue, your Dinan dealer will call Dinan to discuss the issue and then get authorization to do the repair.

The Dinan dealer charges back Dinan for any work. In many ways, Dinan behaves like a car manufacturer for warranty claims.
+1000000, just went through a major issue with my buddy's SC M3 package (Stage 3) from Dinan, and they took some time to properly diagnose the issue and fix it, but the dealer gave him a loaner in the meantime and Dinan took care of the issue.

I think the only way I would go with Dinan is if my dealer was an authorized dealer. That is what I have now so I know if I have an issue my dealer will step in and be the go between me and Dinan and make sure I am taken care of, similar to their role as the go between me and BMW corporate.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #233
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
+1000000, just went through a major issue with my buddy's SC M3 package (Stage 3) from Dinan, and they took some time to properly diagnose the issue and fix it, but the dealer gave him a loaner in the meantime and Dinan took care of the issue.

I think the only way I would go with Dinan is if my dealer was an authorized dealer. That is what I have now so I know if I have an issue my dealer will step in and be the go between me and Dinan and make sure I am taken care of, similar to their role as the go between me and BMW corporate.

The other benefit of using a BMW + Dinan dealer is the service department has 2 pockets to file claims against.
      12-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #234
ndahbar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

"To top this all off, the ECU for the car does not need to be taken out to load the software. There is no need to take out the ECU and create downtime for customers who want this software. It is completely “plug and play”, go to any Authorized Dinan Dealer and they will upload the software through the OBDII port. Simple, the way it should be."

Given the above, why is there concern regarding 2008 models needing to have their ECUs yanked out, mailed, and playing the waiting game till it comes back?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #235
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndahbar View Post
"To top this all off, the ECU for the car does not need to be taken out to load the software. There is no need to take out the ECU and create downtime for customers who want this software. It is completely “plug and play”, go to any Authorized Dinan Dealer and they will upload the software through the OBDII port. Simple, the way it should be."

Given the above, why is there concern regarding 2008 models needing to have their ECUs yanked out, mailed, and playing the waiting game till it comes back?

Because people have confirmed that you actually have to send it out for the 2008 version. The above post was only talking about 2007's I imagine....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #236
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes, but!

The Birds car that many magazines tested had a Hartge reflash. Since then, Hartge has pulled the option and description of this reflash from their website (I just checked, could not find it).

So while Birds' demo car may have it, I think Hartge no longer offers it. You could call Birds and see if they still offer it, if it can be purchased today.

I'll investigate Turner as well, but I would not be surprised to find out a similar story...
Just to correct a technicality - the Birds car featured never had a Hartge official remap - Hartge have never released one for the 335i. The remap is one that Birds have been able to create through their network of contacts in Germany, and it is still being offered, providing gains in power to approx 370-380hp and torque around the 360lbft mark. The remap is undergoing further development now in light of the comparisons with Procede V2 and there will be more information in the coming weeks.

Incidentally, the Birds remap is a total reflash, and NOT a piggyback option. Will have a Dyno Dynamics plot of the new flash fairly soon too.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #237
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The other benefit of using a BMW + Dinan dealer is the service department has 2 pockets to file claims against.
Exactly. But again, I have said this 10000 times, buying a BMW is not enough, you have to buy one from a great dealer, because even though their cars rock, BMW as a company like any car company can be difficult at times. You need a good dealer to shield you from that crap. That is why I don't nickle and dime my dealer through the sales process, I just get what I know is a fair price, even if its a few hundred buck more than other dealers I visit, because at the end of the day, I know I will get it back in spades, they take care of me

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #238
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndahbar View Post

Dinan same day ships the ECU back to the dealer. So, it is conceivable that the car would be down for only two days.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #239
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Dinan same day ships the ECU back to the dealer. So, it is conceivable that the car would be down for only two days.
What if the dealer has to update you for any reason? Down for two days again?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #240
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Just stopped by Braman BMW in West Palm Beach (Dinan authorized). $1,999 for the flash and $150 labor. I was assured no warranty problems whatsoever and no problems with flashing a leased car, which I have. I am 1,000 miles from the 15K oil change. I will have the flash installed during the oil change. I drive about 450 miles a week, so I will have 15K miles in a couple of weeks. I asked if they had flashed anybody yet and I was told no, but I was told they are getting 4 to 5 calls a day about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #241
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

450 miles a week on a leased car?? wow !!

No one has answered the question about the 49 state emissions legal disclaimer yet? Is the flash not California legal?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #242
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
450 miles a week on a leased car?? wow !!

No one has answered the question about the 49 state emissions legal disclaimer yet? Is the flash not California legal?
If something is 49 state, then it's almost always California that's the 1 not included..
Appreciate 0