E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > heated seats, rear defroster, and manual/auto vent blower controls are not working

01-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
john_e90bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver

heated seats, rear defroster, and manual/auto vent blower controls are not working

Hi, I've got a 07 335i and the heated seats, rear defroster, and manual/auto vent blower controls are not working. All the controls light up as if they are working but seats are not getting warm, defroster is not defrosting, and no sound from the blower or heat coming from vents. The only thing that appears to work is the front defroster control. The blower kicks on high and works but if I switch to manual or auto, nothing. There doesn't seem to be any common fuse that controls these different controls.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
john_e90bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update

I just love the Bentley manual. Page 600-15 describes the aggressive power management the vehicle does when it detects low charge status and alternator at max output.
The car shuts off convenience items like I described in my first post. So maybe my battery is going bad even though the magic eye on the battery is showing green. The car is 4 years old and its the winter which puts more stress on the batter. To me it still points to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
john_e90bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: Yes I changed the battery and all the symptoms went away.

Other observations though. I drove for awhile with this failing battery, just didn't have the time to change it, and the car was starting so I didn't have any huge reason. In addition to the convenience features listed in the Bentley Manual I listed above that get turned off. The Auto Dimming Rear view mirror also stops functioning during low charge/voltage condition.

Also I noticed when battery condition is really bad, in addition to all the convenience features being shutdown. Engine management functions seem to intermittently go offline, the car lunges and surges, like sensors are going offline then come back on line.

After a while (15-20 minutes) the car did manage to charge the battery up enough then engine management and convenience features return to normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

yep-low battery voltage will wig your car out and it will shut down certain functions. low battery voltage to the car isnt low enough to not allow it to start-it wants to try and make it so you can start the car so it will shut down things before hand so you are able to start the vehicle.
Appreciate 0