E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan ECU Flash Software vs PROcede v2.02 Dyno

12-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #23
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Wow, if the Dinan is within 5% of the power of the PROcede v2 @94% on 94 Oct that is veeerrry impressive. Surely you guys pulled a bit on the expressway next to each other? Great job doing all this!

Edit: The numbers must be low, given Shiv's stat of 7% difference for whp. I guess that would be ~ 3% torque.

Last edited by stressdoc; 12-21-2007 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #24
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Interesting information.

Hey shiv,

The Dinan flash is actually pretty impressive for $2,000 and a warranty, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
The difference is 19whp on that dyno. This is approx 7% more power. On a normal Dynojet, i'd guess that we would have seen Orb's car around 330whp. The v2's 7% advantage would put it at 353whp which is right in line with the max power we see with the factory airbox in place.

Again, this is under pretty extreme conditions (0 deg F and with 94oct). It'll be interesting to see more results as they come in. As well as how each system responds to additional modifications (v2 gains 20whp with an intake upgrade )

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

To be honest, going from the 325 crank hp stock map to 385 is at the boundary of what I heard BMW R&D was evaluating before they released the 335. That is probably the limit of what BMW was willing to OK. It sounds like a great tune so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
letterkills155
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
sounds good
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #27
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Very impressive indeed. Price tag is a bit high of course, but warranty is definitely important to some.

** Subscribed **
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #28
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Just for fun I entered all the data PROVIDED BY DINAN into a spreadsheet and applied driveline loss factors to produce RW Torque. Let's see if ORB's dyno looks anything like the data DINAN provided.

*NOTE - Dinan FLASHED numbers are on a car that also is running the Dinan exhaust (claimed +10HP at RW's) *Run on 93 Octane*

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #29
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
very good numbers. and the TQ is even closer! dinan tune is pretty impressive. is it safe to say its like a v1.47 power wise?
isn't it greater then 1.47? if its only 19/9 less?

ESP the torque... 9 whp isn't all that much...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #30
sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I'm impressed at the Dinan tune. What I am more interested is the partial throttle response, the torque curve at the important 1500-4000 rpm range and drivability issues. Peak numbers are nice and all but for most of us, including dinan tune purchasers, all the above are more important in daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #31
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Interesting information.

Hey shiv,

The Dinan flash is actually pretty impressive for $2,000 and a warranty, don't you think?
I'll be honest here (I know, I know). $2000 for something non-removable and non-upgradeable isn't very attractive to me. And to me, the warranty is a non-issue. But that's just me. Everyone is different. The tune seems to be right in line with v1.47 (minus some torque) which is what I think all of us were expecting. It is certainly a good performance gainer.

For $2000+install, it will appeal to those who want their local Dinan dealer to do all the work. Those who don't mind doing their own install and choose to go with v2 will end up paying a bit less and make 20-25whp more right out of the box. With the option to make 45whp more than the Dinan flash by simply adding a $250 intake upgrade. And we're not even talking about the additional features and ability to adapt to race gas (and make a lot more power)

Again, we are talking about two different kinds of customers here. Some want good performance and don't mind paying premium. Others want max performance and won't feel pressured or intimidated by learning about the new feature we add along the way. I've always been the latter type. But then again, I also like adding custom ringtones to my cell phone.

I'm happy with the results, obviously. But we're not going to sit still

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #32
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
I'll be honest here (I know, I know). $2000 for something non-removable and non-upgradeable isn't very attractive to me. And to me, the warranty is a non-issue. But that's just me. Everyone is different. The tune seems to be right in line with v1.47 (minus some torque) which is what I think all of us were expecting. It is certainly a good performance gainer.

For $2000+install, it will appeal to those who want their local Dinan dealer to do all the work. Those who don't mind doing their own install and choose to go with v2 will end up paying a bit less and make 20-25whp more right out of the box. With the option to make 45whp more than the Dinan flash by simply adding a $250 intake upgrade. And we're not even talking about the additional features and ability to adapt to race gas (and make a lot more power)

Again, we are talking about two different kinds of customers here. Some want good performance and don't mind paying premium. Others want max performance and won't feel pressured or intimidated by learning about the new feature we add along the way. I've always been the latter type. But then again, I also like adding custom ringtones to my cell phone.

Shiv

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #33
sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

Shiv
Exactly why I have a Procede
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #34
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Shiv
Well said..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #35
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
+1...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #36
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Hi guys,
The difference is 19whp on that dyno. This is approx 7% more power. On a normal Dynojet, i'd guess that we would have seen Orb's car around 330whp. The v2's 7% advantage would put it at 353whp which is right in line with the max power we see with the factory airbox in place. Expect to see this 20-25whp difference between the two tunes all things equal.

Again, this is under pretty extreme conditions (0 deg F and with 94oct). It'll be interesting to see more results as they come in. As well as how each system responds to additional modifications (v2 gains 20whp with an intake upgrade ) Also remember that the v2.0.2 is can make another 5-10whp by just tweaking the user TQ curve. More on that next week.

Cheers,
shiv
You mean 32 F not 0. If it was zero I have to move from here and it was 1 C today. Can you explain why you’re using percentage for the numbers?

BTW, the test was done with my air filter being new but stock. I do have drop in filter that I'm putting in. Badass35 19” wheels are 35% lighter than my 230 wheels. Other than this we have the same setup and close enough.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #37
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Shiv,

I think that everything you said is pretty accurate. Especially the fact that the products obviously appeal to two different types of customers. They are both great options. However, I think that your product has the opportunity to appeal to an even larger group of customers. It seems that a number of people do not choose the Procede because of the level of involvement (installation, removal for dealer visit, etc) it requires from the customer (and for some people, this involvement is absolutely GREAT, and they LOVE this aspect). There is nothing that can be done about this installation issue, unless you guys go nationwide on us with authorized Vishnu Tuning stores. Also, I think that a lot of people are scared away by all of the limp mode, CEL, long waiting times, etc. panic posts that pop up from time to time. While these "bugs" might be ultimately harmless, I think that those who paid $50,000 for the car, but are not "tuning gurus" but want more power think that there might be some kind of damage caused to their engine from the Procede. I think that the Procede is a phenomenal product, but it would be nice to see all of the current "bugs" (which I realize, a fair amount are the user's fault) worked out, before more time is devoted to just increasing power. While the Dinan flash is still inferior in terms power relative to the newest version of Procede, it would seem that the flash clearly has the upper hand in reliability, at this point. Although, I guess it's too early to tell.

Quote:

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
You mean 32 F not 0. If it was zero I have to move from here and it was 1 C today. Can you explain why you’re using percentage for the numbers?

BTW, the test was done with my air filter being new but stock. I do have drop in filter that I'm putting in. Badass35 19” wheels are 35% lighter than my 230 wheels. Other than this we have the same setup and close enough.

Orb
I'm very impressed. I would have never guessed it was going to be that powerful. I'm glad I'm not a betting person.

Congrats Orb!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #39
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Shiv...When will this intake of yours be ready for sale?? Timeframe please...need to sneak some cash behind the wife's back to fund this!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #40
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
You mean 32 F not 0. If it was zero I have to move from here and it was 1 C today. Can you explain why you’re using percentage for the numbers
Orb - most of our friends south of the border don't do metric

What was the relative humidity there today ... ?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #41
Doss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:

Shiv
I completely agree with this statement. I'm the kind of person that installs my own coilovers and mod my car for fun, it takes a bit longer but there is a sense of satisfaction you get out of it. That's why the Proceed is great for me. And I don't believe in warranty, its hit or miss. I don't have much experience with BMW but every time I've taken my other sports cars in for warranty work they take one look at my lowered, loud car with worn rear tires and say it must be because your abusing your car. I don't hold my breath when it comes to warranty. Honda once told me that I'm not shifting at the correct shift points on my S2000 and that I should shift below 3K for the car to operate correctly.

Anyway it just depends on your preference I could see a lot of people just want to get the extra power and pay the 2K for it. I think in the end Dinan will be a lot more conservative and less flexibile than Vishnu but only time will tell.

I can just see it, take your car in for an oil change, you forget to show them your Dinan paperwork and they flash your car with an update, and all of sudden your back to 8psi
      12-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #42
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

Orb
Sorry about the temp mistake. It's always sunny and temperate where I am. So, when it comes to climate extremes, I've clearly lost all touch with reality

To answer your question, I'm using percentage differences because that's the only way to account for differences in dyno calibration. Using absolute hp numbers is meaningless when comparing two dynos that have horses of different size and stature.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #43
3352G0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92  [0.00]
I'm booking for an install in the new year. Goodbye turbo tuner!
Mods: Magnaflow quad exhaust tips/ Painted reflectors & calipers/Hartge rep 19" winter rims/3m non metallic tint/Rieger spoiler/aero front and rear/ACS roof spoiler/corners delete/Bimmian lock covers and interiorlights/MTech fogs/GP Thunder angels/Bluetooth Parrot retrofit kit/tv&nav2go/
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #44
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
isn't it greater then 1.47? if its only 19/9 less?

ESP the torque... 9 whp isn't all that much...
Nope.

v2.0.2 is about 10-20 rwhp more than v1.47
but v2.0.2 is about 5-8 rwtq LESS than v1.47

So the Dinan looks to have about the same rwhp as the v1.47 but with a bit less torque.

For comparison, these guys were on 94 Octane in 32 degree weather and got these numbers.

Two weeks ago, when I dynoed v1.47 on my auto 335i with stock air filter (no other mods except 19" wheels) I was on a lower octane (92) and it was quite a bit warmer (62 degrees) and I got:

331.8 rwhp
366.x rwtq

Had I been on 94 Octane and it was 30 degrees colder, you can figure I'd of gotten at least 5 more rwhp/rwtq.

The Dinan flash seems good, and as we all figured with 13.2 psi peak boost, would have power numbers pretty much right in line with v1.47
Appreciate 0