E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warwickshire Police - Thefts of BMW's!

08-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Warwickshire Police - Thefts of BMW's!

NHW NB & NW Increase in thefts of BMW vehicles, without keys, across the Midlands Region. Please check vehicles are locked

Please be aware that since January 2012, 154 BMW vehicles have been stolen from across the Midlands Region. Thieves are targetting vehicles built between 2006 and 2011 and are stealing them without the keys, as in all cases the owners still have all the keys in their possession.

Thieves are targetting vehicles on driveways and in large carparks and wait for drivers to park and leave their vehicle. Once the driver presses the key to lock the vehicle a frequency blocker intercepts the signal causing the vehicle to remain open.

The thief then enters the vehicle when the coast is clear and uses a device on the vehicle which programs a blank key. The key is then used by the offender to drive the vehicle away.

If the frequency blocker is unsuccessful, the thief will often smash a front side window of the vehicle to get in.

Four of the vehicles have been stolen from addresses in Warwickshire but it may well be that the thieves are spreading their wings and Warwickshire residents will be targetted next.

Please could we advise all BMW owners to try their door handle after using their key to lock their vehicle, to double check that it is actually locked.

Please also have a good look around when leaving the vehicle to see if you can spot anyone waiting nearby or in a vehicle in the vicinity, especially if you check and find the door to still be open.

Please report anything suspicious to Police on 101 as they are very keen to catch these offenders. Thankyou.

Julie Dale
Watch Co-ordinator
Community Protection

http://www.safer-neighbourhoods.co.u...22032012143329

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

None doing a group buy on disabling/relocating the OBD yet?

Dave had it done didn't he? I might consider it seeing as I'm actually going to keep this car.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

How bad does 154 cars in 8 months work out to be?

The Midlands accounts for 20% of the UK population and according to reports about 10,000 cars a year are stolen with the Midlands being a hotspot.

Even taken as an average region 20% of the thefts would account for 1500 thefts per year or 1000 cars in the 8 months until now but we all know figures from the midlands will be significantly higher.

So from 1000 cars stolen 154 are BMWs. That would be 15.4% of cars stolen have been BMWs.
We all know thieves target valuable cars so I guess BMW cars will always be a popular choice.

How bad are the figures compared to other similar cars?

Figures are being thrown about but they don't explain what it means and how bad it really is.

Last edited by Kerr; 08-22-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...s.html?image=9
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Sooner or late this is going to hit the headlines big time either that or BMW are doing their upmost to keep it out of mainstream light as its serious bad PR for them. Just glad my port is no longer whee expected
      08-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
How bad does 154 cars in 8 months work out to be?

The Midlands accounts for 20% of the UK population and according to reports about 10,000 cars a year are stolen with the Midlands being a hotspot.

Even taken as an average region 20% of the thefts would account for 1500 thefts per year or 1000 cars in the 8 months until now but we all know figures from the midlands will be significantly higher.

So from 1000 cars stolen 154 are BMWs. That would be 15.4% of cars stolen have been BMWs.
We all know thieves target valuable cars so I guess BMW cars will always be a popular choice.

How bad are the figures compared to other similar cars?

Figures are being thrown about but they don't explain what it means and how bad it really is.
If someone is wants your car they will get it one way or another, but the ease at which you can clone a BMW key and drive the car off via the OBD port means before long anyone (i.e. not just organised groups) who like the look of your BMW can potentially pop on to ebay get a key programmer (theres 10 on ebay now, cheapest is now <£100) and "have a go" on the first BMW they see

A Disklok lives on car overnight but when I'm just going shopping or quick stops cannot be bothered to put it on all the time...so today took my toolkit out this morning and attacked the OBD port ...now just need a sticker to say "OBD removed"

Last edited by gangzoom; 08-22-2012 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
TripleD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant

Wonder how the insurance stands for this, technically it's a modification?

Also if you move the OBD would that void the BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
JordanM4
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
Wonder how the insurance stands for this, technically it's a modification?

WHO CARES, IF ITS STOLEN HOW WILL THEY KNOW...DO YOU WANT THE HASSLE OF GOING THROUGH YOUR CARS BEEN STOLEN WITHOUT THE KEY TO YOUR INSURER... BEEN THERE DONE THAT ITS NOT GOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
Also if you move the OBD would that void the BMW warranty?
YOU MOVED IT BECAUSE YOUR BMW IS SO EASILY STOLEN, YOU CAN TELL THE SERVICE TECH WHERE IT IS OR PUT IT BACK FOR A SERVICE.. SERIOUSLY
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Anybody got an example of the 'OBD removed' Stickers?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti racing View Post
Anybody got an example of the 'OBD removed' Stickers?
There's a Guy over on Pistonheads who produced the stickers shown in the attached pics

Page 80 in this thread:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...eys&mid=220305

You could email the Guy and ask for the PDF.
Attached Images

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

hmm that'll do!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
If someone is wants your car they will get it one way or another, but the ease at which you can clone a BMW key and drive the car off via the OBD port means before long anyone (i.e. not just organised groups) who like the look of your BMW can potentially pop on to ebay get a key programmer (theres 10 on ebay now, cheapest is now <£100) and "have a go" on the first BMW they see

A Disklok lives on car overnight but when I'm just going shopping or quick stops cannot be bothered to put it on all the time...so today took my toolkit out this morning and attacked the OBD port ...now just need a sticker to say "OBD removed"

Any chance of a DIY guide on this?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-port-t117279/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ian, these stickers look good!!!...any chance you email the guy?...I'm banned on PH...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm getting a disk lok this weekend...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Or you can use the stickers above - right click and save to your desktop then print-off and cut-out the sticker that you want to use and you can then stick it onto the face of a disklok if you have one.

Definitely worth getting a disklok if you haven't already got one.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

I accept that removing the OBD socket will give some form of protection but it can't be moved far due to length of harness. The problem is how are they getting access, if by signal blocker they will have access (Through open door) to the full car and possibly more time to find relocation of socket or even plug and socket if using an extension cable to relocate.
If access by breaking glass and using blind spot of alarm the removal and relocation is a good idea. Some say access is gained by locksmiths through the door lock, this method should trigger the alarm on opening door as the vehicle locking and setting of alarm can be done by key in the lock but only unlocking of the car leaving the alarm still armed on unlocking, checked drivers manual and also own car.
I have even placed a tie wrap around the socket for the time being which can be cut off before going to dealers, using the braking glass and alarm blind spot method will be a little awkward and resistance to remove the blank plug not expected, difficult to feel or see tie wrap with only arm through window. Possible long term solution would be the immobiliser route of the D-can High/Low cables if that is possible through a transponder 2 channel immobiliser, I have heard that the cables should not be cut and jointed though unless others have already done so and found readers still work once cables jointed, cables look nothing special and with good soldered joints should be fine. Having said all this a sticker could put some off in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I use a disclok & the car sleeps in a garage but I'm still tempted to try & put something over the OBD port just to make access difficult ie a steel plate held on by the port retaining screws would do. For a scroat trying to get access with one hand shoved through a broken window, any delay or complication is going be a deterant. If he can't plug his gizmo into the OBD to program a key, he can't open the door to look what the problem is & sort it out
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I'm getting a disk lok this weekend...
Went to Bluewater in Essex last weekend and in the carpark i spotted two M5's, one 335i, plus also adding my 335, all with diskloks!

Word must be getting around.

Last edited by Cyprio; 08-22-2012 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Fulcrum. Mine is on the move!!

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Now, i have to spend more money...just because this justice system is so fcuked up...if only there was some kind of torture or physical punishment for convicted criminals...these thefts wouldn't happen that often...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Guys, at least one of these problems can be overcome very easily. Lock the car and make sure the buttons go down. If you don't have comfort access, try the door handle and check the clown light on the mirror is flashing.
If we all did that, the jamming route would soon fade away and people who go the jamming route may be put off by having to break a window.
Appreciate 0